UCSF vs. Stanford vs. UC Berkeley/UCSF JMP vs. Yale vs. WashU vs. 13 others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I choose?

• Total voters

BrokenLlamas

Cat Bear Rabbit Thing/Zumzizeroo
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am completely shocked, but extremely grateful for how things turned out during my application cycle. That being said, it has made for a really, really difficult decision to make between schools. With the onset of April 15th on the horizon, I wanted some help in at least narrowing down to 3 choices. I have 8 front runners at the moment (very torn between my options - experiencing a strange FOMO for each school) and would really like to hear other peoples’ thoughts on my situation!

I’m still waiting on aid for a good portion of schools, but here are my options as of now:

UCSF (full tuition + portion of COL - $12k in debt/year)
Pros:
+++Weather
+++P/F all 4 years
++Diverse patient population
++Prestige within medicine (ALL of my mentors told me to commit here)
++clinical training as a medical student seems very strong
++Has initiatives that I am interested in expanding/contributing towards
+Chill vibes
+1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
+Feel like I would fit in great
+close-ish to family in So Cal

Cons:
-Inquiry curriculum project - seems like a cool opportunity to make an impact, but I dislike small requirements like this
-hella expensive
-No interdisciplinary collaborations that are convenient
-No layman prestige
-Have a friend that attends here who ghosted me during the app cycle - would be kind of awkward running into them haha
-I’ve heard that the mentorship/guidance here is slightly “hands-off”
-Large class size
-Housing seems like a nightmare

Stanford ($0 Debt)
Pros:
+++Weather
+++P/F all 4 years (though, subject to change?)
+++Very flexible curriculum
++Very clear institutional commitment toward their students (just as an example, they spent ~$20,000 [$40 x ~500 students] to pay for lunch during their interview days)
++Convenient interdisciplinary collaborations
++co-located with the undergraduate campus
++Has initiatives that I am interested in expanding/contributing towards
+Chill vibes
+Layman prestige

Cons:
-Suburbs
-Patient population isn’t as diverse as some of my other options
-Feel like I won’t fit in?
-2 year pre-clinical curriculum
-hella expensive
-stereotype that Stanford med students are not very strong clinically

University of Chicago, Pritzker (full tuition)
Pros:
++++Apparently can get full COA
+++I felt my perspectives and life experiences were appreciated and I felt wanted by the admissions team at this institution
++Thought of living in a new place/state is strangely exciting
++Strongest mission alignment with this institution

Cons:
-Weather
-far from family

WashU (full tuition)
Pros:
+++Free tuition and likely full COA once my financial aid paperwork is processed
+++P/F all 4 years (I think)
+++Really liked all of my interactions with faculty
++Prestige within medicine
+1.5 pre-clinical curriculum
+Chill vibes

Cons:
-Weather
-Far from family

Yale ($0 Debt)
Pros:
++++No debt (full COA scholarship)
+++P/F all 4 years
+++Meshed REALLY well w/ peers at second look
+++My interviewer (high level physician at Yale) is willing to act as a mentor if I commit here
+++Very flexible curriculum
++Convenient interdisciplinary collaborations w/ undergrad campus
++Significant FGLI presence in student body
+Students seem very happy
+Layman prestige

Cons:
-Weather
-stereotype that med students are not very strong clinically
-far from family
-Thesis requirement

Cornell ($0 Debt)
Pros:
++++No debt (will be full COA scholarship)
+++Living in Manhattan sounds awesome
+++Diverse patient population
++Pays for 3rd party step prep materials
+Layman prestige

Cons:
-met some really cool people, but most peers didn’t pass vibe check at second look
-Weather
-far from family
-No P/F clerkships
-Weekly exams

Mayo Clinic, MN (full tuition)
Pros:
++Clinical training here seems top-notch
++Tuition free (cannot go beyond this)
+Layman prestige
+Small class size

Cons:
-Weather
-far from family
-No P/F clerkships
-Patient population not diverse

UC Berkeley/UCSF Joint Medical Program (waiting for aid)
+++Small class size
+++Weather
+++P/F all 4 years
++Convenient interdisciplinary collaborations
++co-located with the undergraduate campus
++Prestige within medicine (ALL of my mentors told me to commit here)
++Spend 2.5 years at UC Berkeley
++Pays for 3rd party step prep materials
++very unique public health-oriented medical education
+Students seem very happy

Cons:
-too small of a class size? 16 people
-All PBL curriculum
-isolated from main UCSF class
-Mandatory 5th year to finish a masters degree at UC Berkeley (I kind of don’t want to be forced into this)
-One of the students kind of rubbed me the wrong way during my interview day and it tainted my perspective of the class
-pre-clinical curriculum is spread out for 2.5 years

Other notable acceptances still on the table (listing here if someone feels strongly that I should consider any of these other schools): Vanderbilt, Northwestern, UCSD, Kaiser (full COA), Rochester (full tuition), Ohio State (full tuition), Case Western (80% tuition), Dartmouth, UC Davis (80% tuition), Charles Drew University, Squidward Community College [ok sorry, this one was a joke haha]

Waitlists: Hopkins, NYU, Pitt, Sinai

Any thoughts/advice in helping to narrow down my options would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Your sankey is gonna go crazy bro. Grats on all the As :)

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I don't think it influences my advice but I am on the WL for some of these schools

I think the opportunities and mentorship, all things considered, will be so similar among many of these top places. In my view, finances, support system, and chill life during med school prevail as factors. Depending on the aid at UCSF/Stanford, these factors are the strongest pulls at these schools.

My personal vote is for UCSF (again assuming aid can be negotiated to full tuition or COA), because of the combo of curriculum (especially 1.5 year and true P/F all the way through), mentorship, diversity, support system, vibes, and patient population. Housing might be a nightmare but I'm sure you could get smth subsidized or reasonable and I think layman prestige is much less important than its prestige within medicine. Just my two cents! You can't really go wrong tbh so anything you pick will serve you super well

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: I don't think it influences my advice but I am on the WL for some of these schools

I think the opportunities and mentorship, all things considered, will be so similar among many of these top places. In my view, finances, support system, and chill life during med school prevail as factors. Depending on the aid at UCSF/Stanford, these factors are the strongest pulls at these schools.

My personal vote is for UCSF (again assuming aid can be negotiated to full tuition or COA), because of the combo of curriculum (especially 1.5 year and true P/F all the way through), mentorship, diversity, support system, vibes, and patient population. Housing might be a nightmare but I'm sure you could get smth subsidized or reasonable and I think layman prestige is much less important than its prestige within medicine. Just my two cents! You can't really go wrong tbh so anything you pick will serve you super well
I appreciate hearing your perspective, dude!! UCSF does have a unique niche that seems to fit my goals/priorities pretty well! Hearing this gives me reassurance that UCSF should stay at least in my top 3 choices

Your sankey is gonna go crazy bro. Grats on all the As :)
I appreciate it bro!! Congrats on all your As (and your soon to be As, too!!)

Go to the 13 others.
Thanks!! The match list and alumni network at the "13 others" school of medicine goes crazy 😮‍💨 - the only other school that may rival it is Squidward Community College. Tough decisions man, but thanks for your perspective!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I’m ngl man these schools are way above my caliber, but I get the sense UCSF is the move as long as the financial aid package is solid. Layman prestige is admittedly nice to have sometimes, but its prestige in medicine is absolutely insane. I think it is very telling that your mentors are overwhelmingly encouraging you to commit there. They have incredible opportunities, a diverse student population, and their residencies are obviously insanely good and their programs take a lot of their own. The only downside imo is the cost of living, but I think there are ways to attend the school while also trying to minimize debt. I seriously don’t think you can go wrong at any of these places though. The fact that you got all of these acceptances is a testament that you can succeed literally anywhere. Congrats!

• Love
Disclaimer that I am on the on waitlist at sf. I would def keep sf as one of the three since it seems where your heart is telling you to go. However from reading past threads and word of mouth it seems like their aid packages are sometimes lacking and they frown upon applicants to match aid from other schools. It depends on ur financial situation but because of this I think what I would do is keep sf as one of the three and having at least one of the two other choices be full tuition or full COA so u can assess the options thoroughly when the aid packages come. Congrats on a great cycle!

• Love
1) Who are you and how can I have you as my mentor in life?
2) Please take my firstborn child
3) How much of a God does a person need to be for their interviewer at Yale to say they'll be their mentor if they commit there?
4) Any of these schools will open insane doors for you, and you know it. At this point, you are in the position to make a decision based on whatever the heck you want it to be based on, and any decision is totally okay because you earned that right.

For me personally, I'd say don't pay for med school. Debt is real and will be an annoying burden in your life, whether we all want to admit it or not. It's not like you'd be choosing an unranked school with no debt over Harvard. The schools giving you free tuition are literally Yale and other top-caliber schools.

If you value family and weather more than debt (which is totally fine), then UCSF is the way. Based on your post, it seems to me like you'd be most happy at UCSF or Stanford given the location. If you can get UCSF to give you a nice package, then UCSF is the clear winner from the bunch. If they don't give money, I think Stanford is next (assuming they give money). If both UCSF and Stanford don't give money, my next choice would be WashU based on your list. For now I'm putting UCSF on the poll.

• Haha
I’m ngl man these schools are way above my caliber, but I get the sense UCSF is the move as long as the financial aid package is solid. Layman prestige is admittedly nice to have sometimes, but its prestige in medicine is absolutely insane. I think it is very telling that your mentors are overwhelmingly encouraging you to commit there. They have incredible opportunities, a diverse student population, and their residencies are obviously insanely good and their programs take a lot of their own. The only downside imo is the cost of living, but I think there are ways to attend the school while also trying to minimize debt. I seriously don’t think you can go wrong at any of these places though. The fact that you got all of these acceptances is a testament that you can succeed literally anywhere. Congrats!
I appreciate hearing this, man! Sometimes I tend to get lost in the sauce of layman prestige, so hearing the advice that it really doesn't matter helps me look at my options in a different way (in a way that really pushes UCSF to the top of my list) - thanks for the advice and congrats to you for all of your success dude!!

Disclaimer that I am on the on waitlist at sf. I would def keep sf as one of the three since it seems where your heart is telling you to go. However from reading past threads and word of mouth it seems like their aid packages are sometimes lacking and they frown upon applicants to match aid from other schools. It depends on ur financial situation but because of this I think what I would do is keep sf as one of the three and having at least one of the two other choices be full tuition or full COA so u can assess the options thoroughly when the aid packages come. Congrats on a great cycle!
Thank you for your transparency with the disclaimer! Yeah you're right, UCSF does seem like an easy top 3 choice for me based on the pros/cons and how those differ between schools. I do remember from my welcome day at UCSF that Dean Albert seemed vehemently opposed to matching aid (like saying it speaks about a person's character to try and match aid from another institution, as that would be taking aid from the neediest admitted students at UCSF). I think I may fall in the camp of being a needy student, but we'll see what they end up giving me! Thanks for your insight!!

1) Who are you and how can I have you as my mentor in life?
2) Please take my firstborn child
3) How much of a God does a person need to be for their interviewer at Yale to say they'll be their mentor if they commit there?
4) Any of these schools will open insane doors for you, and you know it. At this point, you are in the position to make a decision based on whatever the heck you want it to be based on, and any decision is totally okay because you earned that right.

For me personally, I'd say don't pay for med school. Debt is real and will be an annoying burden in your life, whether we all want to admit it or not. It's not like you'd be choosing an unranked school with no debt over Harvard. The schools giving you free tuition are literally Yale and other top-caliber schools.

If you value family and weather more than debt (which is totally fine), then UCSF is the way. Based on your post, it seems to me like you'd be most happy at UCSF or Stanford given the location. If you can get UCSF to give you a nice package, then UCSF is the clear winner from the bunch. If they don't give money, I think Stanford is next (assuming they give money). If both UCSF and Stanford don't give money, my next choice would be WashU based on your list. For now I'm putting UCSF on the poll.
I laughed pretty hard reading this hahahah. You're so right about the debt piece of things - ngl, my family is already in a ton of debt, so adding more debt to that seems like it would be a huge mistake. Dang, hearing this pushes me slightly more towards Yale, but I really dislike the weather there 😭. I really hope Stanford or UCSF comes through with aid, or else it may look like Yale (or WashU) may be the best options. Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks again for the laugh!

Weather? Really?
Take one of the full COA offers
Hahahah, I know it seems trivial, but I was born and raised in so cal, and have spent the past couple of years on the east coast. Honestly, I really, dislike the weather here (to the point that it is a major factor in my decision-making). But you're right, relatively speaking, weather should not have such a huge weight on my consideration when I have other factors to consider (such as the debt I would accrue, etc.). Thanks for putting my pros/cons back into perspective!!

You know my vote already lol and congrats again! I think UCSF main program/Stanford are neck and neck for you (personally, I'd use FA a tiebreaker between them). From other's experience, UCSF seems open to re-evaluating aid, but they struck me as the most opposed to even asking to match. If you're still waiting on aid by April 15, I'd narrow it down to UCSF, Stanford, and one of the schools giving you need-based CoA (Yale seems like best bet, from your pros/cons)

Side factor, but WashU is also P/F for the individual sub-Is in fourth year. I could be 100% wrong, but I also thought that UCSF sub-Is were tier-graded. With our school overlap, we might see each other in the fall lmao happy to keep going over our final thoughts in DM!
Thanks for the advice bro!! I'm hoping the aid at UCSF is pretty good, especially since I'll qualify for in-state tuition, but we'll see! Looking at the poll, it does seem like UCSF, Stanford and Yale (maybe WashU?) should be my top 3 choices. And thanks for the huge tip about the P/F at WashU and UCSF! P/F is a huuuuge consideration for me, so I want to minimize any tiered grading where possible - dang, this might pull WashU into my top 3

• Love
Something interesting I noticed is that the UCSF director of admissions seems to have been poached by Stanford Med (or holds a joint appointment between both schools?) - I probably shouldn't look too deep into this, but considering that the director has been at UCSF for such a long time, it has me questioning why?? Anyone have any insight into this by chance??

Something interesting I noticed is that the UCSF director of admissions seems to have been poached by Stanford Med (or holds a joint appointment between both schools?) - I probably shouldn't look too deep into this, but considering that the director has been at UCSF for such a long time, it has me questioning why?? Anyone have any insight into this by chance??
It doesn't matter in the slightest for your school experience and should not at all impact your school choice. But if you really want to know there is a lot of turnover at Stanford admissions right now and they need new people. Stanford probably gave Hallen a pay bump and she deserves it because Hallen is awesome. However, based on my reading of the situation and my knowledge of the two institutions, the questions should be directed more at Stanford admissions and why the sudden turnover ;)

In regard to your school options, I think you should go with Yale. Its 0 debt for you, it has a chill curriculum, and it matches great .

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I noticed that too. At first I thought it could be two different people. Seems like Hallen is now overseeing financial aid for Stanford as assistant dean. Sad that she has left UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just so confused by SDN! Why would anyone (and in this case a third of voters) suggest that OP go to UCSF for a ton of debt, when they could go to Yale - a peer institution for zero debt! UCSF is awesome, I would know ;), but I can't in good faith tell you to come here for that amount of debt just for weather/proximity to family. I actually think Yale and UCSF offer very similar learning environments, research opportunities, and matching prospects. Unless UCSF came within 40-50K of Yale's offer, I don't see why OP would choose UCSF over Yale based on their Pro/Con list. They could visit family regularly with that money saved. If OP wants to match back to Cali, they will be able to easily from Yale considering that they grew up in the area (providing strong ties to the state).

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I'm just so confused by SDN! Why would anyone (and in this case a third of voters) suggest that OP go to UCSF for a ton of debt, when they could go to Yale - a peer institution for zero debt! UCSF is awesome, I would know ;), but I can't in good faith tell you to come here for that amount of debt just for weather/proximity to family. I actually think Yale and UCSF offer very similar learning environments, research opportunities, and matching prospects. Unless UCSF came within 40-50K of Yale's offer, I don't see why OP would choose UCSF over Yale based on their Pro/Con list. They could visit family regularly with that money saved. If OP wants to match back to Cali, they will be able to easily from Yale considering that they grew up in the area (providing strong ties to the state).
Pretty sure most of those votes are contingent on the fact that UCSF will match aid closely enough (at least my vote/post was). If they offer significantly less then the full COA schools are a no brainer.

Disclaimer: A's at Yale and Cornell, WL at WashU.

I'm definitely biased as a life-long Californian who went to undergrad on the East Coast and is now back, but it can be difficult adjusting to the weather if you've lived in CA your whole life and appreciate being outside/outdoor hobbies, especially if you're coming from a low-income background and don't have the proper clothes (although you can def find good buys at thrift stores and the financial aid should help!) Since you have great options in CA and prefer staying in-state due to school opportunities, weather, and support system, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to leave unless both UCSF and Stanford don't come close to what Yale or WashU are offering - unlikely at least for Stanford as they give full COA or close to full COA for full-need students. If the money's not talking from UCSF or Stanford, I think it comes down to Yale vs Washu. (You gotta decide for yourself how much of a difference in debt you'd be willing to take on to stay in CA) Deciding between Yale and WashU should really just come down to location, student culture, and maybe interdisciplinary opportunities since you mentioned that as a factor for a few schools.

As for your Stanford cons (here currently for my gap years), ya Palo Alto can get boring, but SF, San Jose, and Santa Cruz are all ~45mins/1hr away driving. Lots of great hikes in the area as well if that's your thing! Main hospital does seem to serve a more affluent, racially homogenous population, but students do some rotations at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center which serves a more diverse population plus you can get involved with the Cardinal Free Clinics. East Palo Alto also has a significant Latino population and Stanford Health Career Collaborative does some high school mentorship out there if that's your thing. Can't speak too much about the curriculum or culture but just looking at the class profiles, there's a significant FGLI and URM presence on campus - get a feel for the place during discovery days! No clue about the stereotype of being clinically weak, but it clearly doesn't affect how well the students match lol. If you couldn't tell who I am yet from my love for Stanford, we met at Yale's second look man haha. Congrats on all the success - you're gonna kill it no matter where you go. Pa' La Raza!

• Love
agreed.. I also find this pretty crazy. If any top 20 offered me a free ride I would be there in a heartbeat. West coast weather is amazing but a full ride at Yale which is also pass/fail all four years literally cannot be beat in my opinion. If UCSF matches the aid then it would be a pretty easy choice I think, so hopefully they get back to OP before the deadline. I have heard they're a bit stingy with aid though unfortunately :/ Stanford might be more likely to match though!

• Love
Crazy enough, I just got my FA package from UCSF and it was VERY generous (full in-state tuition + $26k extra to cover a portion of COL). I would end up in ~$50k debt at UCSF

Ngl, that sounds like a steal for a T5 school!!!! I'm reallllly leaning UCSF atm

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Crazy enough, I just got my FA package from UCSF and it was VERY generous (full in-state tuition + $28k extra to cover a portion of COL). I would end up in ~$50k in debt at UCSF

Ngl, that sounds like a steal for a T5 school!!!! Ngl, I'm reallllly leaning UCSF atm

Welcome to UCSF

Congratulations!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Weather? Really?
Take one of the full COA offers
OP: you have more than one full COA on the table!!!??? Keep those offers and really compare.

I agree that weather is not an issue. You can buy a good winter wardrobe for about $1K-2K. If you go to New England, take a trip up to the LL Bean outlets and rock out. Get a good winter/wet weather coat with durable boots.

Ryan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

• Haha
OP, now that you have an aid package from UCSF, I’m interested to know what the actual cost differences will look like (if you don’t mind sharing).

Forget pros and cons since you already gave those. What dollar amounts are each of these schools giving you/what is the difference in dollar amount between these schools (I’m most interested in UCSF vs Yale since that’s where you seem to be choosing between).

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you updated your post and your debt would be $12k per year.

At this point you could do whatever makes you happier. I’m from NY so if the role was reversed (if Yale costed me $12k vs free UCSF, before I woke up from my dream) then I’d choose Yale specifically because I want to be near my friends and family. If you feel the same way about proximity to home, whether it’s friends/family or weather, it genuinely makes no difference financially since the loan burden isn’t that large. Congrats!

• Love
OP, now that you have an aid package from UCSF, I’m interested to know what the actual cost differences will look like (if you don’t mind sharing).

Forget pros and cons since you already gave those. What dollar amounts are each of these schools giving you/what is the difference in dollar amount between these schools (I’m most interested in UCSF vs Yale since that’s where you seem to be choosing between).

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you updated your post and your debt would be $12k per year.

At this point you could do whatever makes you happier. I’m from NY so if the role was reversed (if Yale costed me $12k vs free UCSF, before I woke up from my dream) then I’d choose Yale specifically because I want to be near my friends and family. If you feel the same way about proximity to home, whether it’s friends/family or weather, it genuinely makes no difference financially since the loan burden isn’t that large. Congrats!
GOATed name bro

Welp, I also received my financial aid package from Stanford and it was a full COA scholarship... I guess I have my top three schools then (Stanford, UCSF, and Yale, but tbh I'm really just deciding between Stanford and UCSF at this point), but damn, this just makes it even harder 😭

I feel like it's all going to come down to vibes at this point - I'll attend the second looks to suss out the vibes for Stanford and UCSF to make my final decision (but leaning Stanford since it's literally free)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Welp, I also received my financial aid package from Stanford and it was a full COA scholarship... I guess I have my top three schools then (Stanford, UCSF, and Yale, but tbh I'm really just deciding between Stanford and UCSF at this point), but damn, this just makes it even harder 😭

I feel like it's all going to come down to vibes at this point - I'll attend the second looks to suss out the vibes for Stanford and UCSF to make my final decision (but leaning Stanford since it's literally free)
Remember us when ur start-up sells for 1 bill bro🤧. Seriously though I don't think you can go wrong with either. Grats again!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Remember us when ur start-up sells for 1 bill bro. Seriously though I don't think you can go wrong with either. Grats again!

Whenever I get upset about our WL -> R from Stanford I just remind myself there’s some next level ballers out here

• Love

COA Stanford... don't eat sushi every day just because you can. ;)

• Haha
What is this madness?? What kinda application do you have brosephus????

• Love
What is this madness?? What kinda application do you have brosephus????
Some of my app will be revealed in my soon-to-be-released sankey 😉 (coming to a theatre near you)

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Wow