Upenn (Perelman) vs Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siegetheholyland

Reaction score
I am really blessed to even be in this situation right now, but I am having a hard time deciding between these two!

University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine

Pros
  • (Marginally better) Prestige
  • Near New york
  • Close friends live in the area and go to other Upenn schools
  • Shorter Preclinical
  • Much better scholarship

Cons
  • No research labs that are an exact fit for the research I did in undergrad
  • Can only take 3 classes at other Upenn Schools during my time as a med student
  • Chicago seems to be a better city than Philly

Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine

Pros
  • Family is nearby
  • Chicago!!!
  • Has a better medical orchestra
  • Has a research lab that perfectly compliments the research I did in undergrad
  • I can take multiple classes at other Northwestern schools during my time as a med student

Cons
  • Longer Preclinical
  • (Marginally) Lower Prestige
  • Cost of living in Chicago is higher
  • Lower Scholarship Amount (if they don't match, I'll definitely choose Upenn)

Please let me know what yall think!

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to have answered the question yourself. If you don’t get the scholarship matched then UPenn. If you do then Feinberg.

Both of these schools are god tier. The difference in prestige at this point is negligible. Go somewhere you’ll be happier. If you can be happier in Chicago and not pay as much money then go to Feinberg. If you can be happy at Penn by saving that money you otherwise couldn’t at Chicago (assuming no match) then go to Penn.

Reactions: 3 users
Penn Cons
  • No research labs that are an exact fit for the research I did in undergrad
  • Can only take 3 classes at other Upenn Schools during my time as a med student
Neither of these is significant. You don't need to be continuing your past research or anything similar to it. New projects will stretch your skillset, and you'll be a better researcher for it.

Maybe the reason there is a limit is because you might need to be focused on medical school. :) As far as I know, Penn has great infrastructure to let you take non medical classes, so keep yourself in good standing.

Reactions: 1 users