[URGENT] NoordaCOM vs KansasCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
NoordaCOM
Pros
  • Research implemented into curriculum, I have no prior research experience so I feel like this would be a big help
  • Flexible schedule
  • Home state is included for students to travel for rotations
  • Has 1 more class than Kansas, they would have match results at the end of my 1st year
  • Looks like they give time for board prep after classes end
  • Fan of snow & winter sports

Cons
  • For profit, not sure how much this weighs for like residencies but I’ve seen people say this deters them from choosing a specific school
  • Private loans until c/o 2025 graduates
  • Comlex scores in 70’s
  • City is smaller but is only 35 min from a bigger city

KansasCOM
Pros
  • Federal aid
  • Nonprofit
  • P/F system
  • City is bigger and seems to offer a larger range of things to do

Cons
  • No comlex scores or match results yet
  • Home state is not included for travel but may be once they graduate a class
  • Some research opportunities but it’s up to the student
I was accepted to these two schools and I need to make a decision very soon. Any advice is great, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All else being equal, take the federal loans. It makes a massive financial difference.

Also, as a BYU grad, are you familiar with Provo or LDS culture at all? I love Provo, but it certainly won't offer a traditional schooling experience that many people want.

All else being equal, take the federal loans. It makes a massive financial difference.

Also, as a BYU grad, are you familiar with Provo or LDS culture at all? I love Provo, but it certainly won't offer a traditional schooling experience that many people want.
I am aware of the culture there but have no experience. Can you explain what you mean by not offering a traditional schooling experience?

I am aware of the culture there but have no experience. Can you explain what you mean by not offering a traditional schooling experience?

I guess I’m just referring to the fact that probably a majority of your class will be members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which if stereotypes hold true (like they do in my case), most of them will be married and either already have kids or will have kids during school. Instead of going out to bars after tests to have a drink with your classmates, most of them will prefer to be home with their families on Friday/Saturday nights and in church on Sunday mornings. The bar scene is not good in Provo, and if I had to guess, the coffee scene is probably also terrible (members of the church don’t drink alcohol or coffee). Very few places are open late in general. So I guess I just mean it can be boring from that perspective (or at least my med school classmates would probably think so), but if you like outdoorsy stuff (skiing/snowboarding, hiking, rock climbing), then Provo, and UT in general, is a great place to be!

Edit: also, forgot to mention that the dating pool in Provo will be mostly mormons as well, which would not be ideal for many people haha

Last edited: