UW SMPH vs. Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango_med

Reaction score
Blessed to have these choices, but need some inputs from y'all. Family is in the South, so both schools are pretty far as far as support system. However, I would love to do my residency somewhere in the South, so I can be closer to family. Have heard Madison students usually land in the midwest for residency and OSU students tend to scatter around. Interests are in anesthesiology, surgery, derm. I was set on going to UW SMPH, but after I interviewed at OSU, I was really attracted to their mentorship programs, student support services, and talking to students really felt so calming. On the other hand, I have heard UW SMPH culture is competitive as there are many gunners in the class. How exactly are the rankings/prestige when comparing these 2 schools?

UW SMPH Pros
  • in-state tuition
  • highly ranked
UW SMPH Cons
  • harsh winters
  • not as diverse/ competitive culture
Ohio State Pros
  • VERY diverse/friendly culture
  • interview experience REALLY attracted me (access to mentors as I am first gen)
Ohio State Cons
  • OOS tuition
  • new area as I am from WI

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a hard one! I interviewed at OSU but withdrew from the deferred list. I was also so impressed by their culture and interview experience. The students seemed super happy. Others can weigh in, but I have a feeling any difference in prestige here is negligible. Match lists are always hard to decipher because of student preference in region. It seems like your heart is telling you OSU, but you're trying to justify that choice because of the IS tuition at UW.

I'm in a fortunate enough position to be choosing a school I love with OOS tuition over my state school. At the end of the day, do you perceive there being a big enough difference in your happiness to choose the higher tuition? Best of luck in your choice, you really can't go wrong with two amazing schools :)

I’m also potentially going to UW SMPH! Congrats!! I was wondering where you heard about the competitive culture? I’ve heard this before too but not sure if it’s true or not.