VA HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globaldoc27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied or thinking about applying to the VA HPSP scholarship for a 2024 start?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning to apply once I get an A. 🫠

Also applying for mil HPSP but a strong chance that I won't be medically qualified.

I'm planning to apply once I get an A. 🫠

Also applying for mil HPSP but a strong chance that I won't be medically qualified.
What branch were you thinking of applying to for the military HPSP? I'm considering it too, but concerned about some of things I've read.

Members don't see this ad :)
What branch were you thinking of applying to for the military HPSP? I'm considering it too, but concerned about some of things I've read.
Navy. I'm interested in a few of the things people list as downsides, such as doing a GMO tour etc.

A lot of people will push Air Force for QOL, but honestly it took me 3 months to even get in contact with a recruiter and they had me go through like 15 steps before I could even talk to him. Once he heard I had medical history because duh I'm 30 of course I was diagnosed with something over my lifetime, he basically ghosted me.

Army you will possibly have a lower QOL, more time deployed/in the field, but you train straight through most frequently and have the most/best military residency options. You're not generally allowed to apply to civilian match.

I'd suggest talking to recruiters from the main branches that interest you to learn more about the specifics but overall as a doctor your day to day will prob be similar enough once you get past differences in training.

• Care
Thinking about it. It would get me to 20 years federal with buy back, and I would retain more control over life elements (more important to me now with a family). I’ll likely end up going Reserves to finish out my career… still trying to map out what’s best. Feel free to DM if you want to know more about the Active Army side.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if 3/31 is a hard stop deadline?
In theory if your packet was accepted before then it would be considered for a summer/fall 2024 start date but I feel like with everything said in this thread chances are even though my packet was accepted before then it won’t matter 😅. They do state it’s a year round process but I’m not sure what to make of that now!

totally worth. took the scholarship for 2 years, only owe 3 years to the VA. lmk if you got any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
totally worth. took the scholarship for 2 years, only owe 3 years to the VA. lmk if you got any questions.
Are they usually this bad at communication? I feel like they don't respond to emails very fast or it's either very vague.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for the program last December, but three months later I was told I was put in the alternative, and I didn't receive more results like the email said mid-April at the latest…

Mid November after the deadline, so my app was considered for this round (2024)

Reactions: 1 users
Yea it seems like they are pretty backed up. I emailed from my VA email address and I still got a canned response that they do not have an ETA on when applications are getting reviewed. However, it seems that depends on the healthcare field because a lot of nurses have gotten their emails.