Volunteer positions requiring limited interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comura

Reaction score
From past threads, interaction with those in need is what adcoms seem to look for in volunteer positions. Many of the opportunities near me aren't very interactive; duties require no - to very little - interaction with those in need. Given the limited interaction, should I stay away from these opportunities for my main, long-term volunteer position?

Soup kitchen - kitchen position involving solely making plates (distribution is facilitated by staff members)
Food delivery - food/grocery drop off service for individuals in hospice care (mostly contact-free)
Food bank - food sorting position at a warehouse

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep looking! Have you looked at VolunteerMatch.org ?
Yes, 26 opportunities listed...majority of which don't really meet the criteria. Lots of "back room" work. I live in a small town.

In another database, the closest "hands-on" opportunities would be done virtually.
1. One-on-one sessions as a counselor at the state's medicare office via telephone w/ retirees or their families
2. Weekly check-ins with senior citizens via telephone - mainly checking in on how they're doing, and also doing grocery runs when needed

There is an in-person hospice opportunity, but I would be working with hospice patients (falls under 'clinical' category?).

There is also a Habitat for humanity opportunity, but their site is about a 2-hour commute and I don't have a vehicle.

Is there no opportunity to serve others after a certain amount of time worked?
Nothing I'm aware of. Also concerned that this would mean pushing back my timeline.

I certainly cannot generalize, but many secular (on campus) and faith based organizations that host soup kitchens, food pantries, and deliveries do not have such a hard line. I agree keep looking.

Last edited:
Depending on your role, sitting with a person in hospice care may not be clinical. If they are a patient, and you are doing things to them that require a license, then yes, but if you are chatting, listening or playing music, reading aloud, it really isn't clinical....

Are there any homeless shelters or encampments in your area? Any migrants? Any poor people?

Reactions: 1 users
If you can handle it, suicide hotline. It's very important work and you get training to do it, which would also be helpful for your medical career. Also, a lot of it can be done remotely I believe.

If you can handle it, suicide hotline. It's very important work and you get training to do it, which would also be helpful for your medical career. Also, a lot of it can be done remotely I believe.
Wonderful volunteer work but not what we are looking for here which is face-to-face work with people in very vulnerable populations.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on your role, sitting with a person in hospice care may not be clinical. If they are a patient, and you are doing things to them that require a license, then yes, but if you are chatting, listening or playing music, reading aloud, it really isn't clinical....

Are there any homeless shelters or encampments in your area? Any migrants? Any poor people?
Found a homeless shelter nearby. They weren't listed in the databases I checked, but their website lists volunteer opportunities. Sent an inquiry; hoping my search ends here! Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
From past threads, interaction with those in need is what adcoms seem to look for in volunteer positions. Many of the opportunities near me aren't very interactive; duties require no - to very little - interaction with those in need. Given the limited interaction, should I stay away from these opportunities for my main, long-term volunteer position?

Soup kitchen - kitchen position involving solely making plates (distribution is facilitated by staff members)
Food delivery - food/grocery drop off service for individuals in hospice care (mostly contact-free)
Food bank - food sorting position at a warehouse
Try contacting your local houses of worship