WAMC 517/4.0 Interesting Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biobarbie

Reaction score
Hey y'all! So here's the important information, and then I'll get into the dilemma I'm in:
  • 4.0 cGPA and sGPA
  • 517 MCAT 129/128/130/130
  • KY resident
  • In-state undergrad
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 300 total
      • about 250 clinical
    • no non-volunteer clinical experience
  • Research experience and productivity
    • 2 years with a lab
    • no publications or posters
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 400 total
    • mostly surgical specialties + pediatrics
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • about 50 hours doing outreach with high schoolers in rural KY
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Resident Advisor for 2 years
    • Won a competitive internship award
Here's the dilemma; I am in an early assurance program for my state school. this was a super competitive process and i was incredibly happy to be accepted. as a part of the early assurance program, you can only apply to this school. but, vanderbilt has always been my dream school. it would be a massive leap to drop the eap distinction and apply regular decision to this state school (because they really value commitment to KY and all), but i feel like i'm letting part of myself down for not even *trying* to apply for vanderbilt (i know you all probably understand).

so honestly, wamc? does the risk outweigh the reward? thank you so much for your insights

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you clarify what you mean by early assurance? As in if you already have a spot guaranteed for you?

If that's true, I would save yourself the trouble. If you really want to be at Vandy, there's always residency. Way too risky (and time/energy/money consuming) to throw away a guaranteed admission.

Can you clarify what you mean by early assurance? As in if you already have a spot guaranteed for you?

If that's true, I would save yourself the trouble. If you really want to be at Vandy, there's always residency. Way too risky (and time/energy/money consuming) to throw away a guaranteed admission.
of course! given that you meet the MCAT and GPA requirements (which I have), you have a guaranteed interview with this school.

thank you for the insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
of course! given that you meet the MCAT and GPA requirements (which I have), you have a guaranteed interview with this school.

thank you for the insight!
You have a guaranteed interview, not a guaranteed acceptance - is that correct?

Your low nonclinical volunteering would sink you this cycle, but your stats are decent...with stronger ECs you'd be pack fodder for T20 schools.