WAMC/How do I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helvetica_sands

Reaction score
Currently an ORM senior in a T20 and thinking of a gap year before I apply. My two dream med schools are Stanford and DGSOM, and I really want to give myself the best shot of trying to get into them, hence why I'm posting here to get a reality check! Of course, these are dreams, and I'll be happy with any med school, a doctor is a doctor :)

I currently have a 4.0 sGPA/cGPA, haven't taken the MCAT yet (though practice is around 515 rn).

Research:
I have 2160 research hours in my main wet lab, 200 hrs in a research course I took, 800 hrs in clinical research. No pubs or posters sadly, due to bad luck and bacteria that can only be described as evil.

Clinical:
I have ~500 over two clinical volunteering positions in a hospital.
I also work as an part time MA for 300 hrs and will try to work as an EMT during my gab year so projected ~1000 hrs or so.

Leadership:
Finally I'm leadership in part of some misc pre-health and computer science clubs as a board member (~540 hrs each) and I tutor both as a volunteer for low income students and as a part time job for students with learning impediments ( ~980 hrs).

Shadowing:
~ 15 hours in a small clinic :,0 I'm planning on fixing this during my gap year.

Hobbies:
Draw portraits, self taught since elementary school (~1000 hrs)
Sing/play instrument (perform rarely + make my own music sometimes) (~500 hrs)

LORs:
- 1 strong LOR, 3 Mid LORS, and 1 sus one. I know I need to work on this :/

I know my app is pretty bland and there are at least 1000 other students in my school itself who have the same stats and ECs as me, never mind the 37000 other premeds haha. I guess does anyone have tip on how do I stand out? Are there any tips for how I can strengthen what I have already? Any tips on how to make the most of my gap year? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have some great activities. However, there are some weaknesses I noticed. You don't seem to have any nonclinical volunteering with the underserved from what I could see (the tutoring mentioned would be a separate category). That would be pretty lethal to your app. Definitely get at least 50 shadowing hours, preferably half or more in primary care specialties. These two and a solid MCAT will leave you in a great spot.

As far as tips to stand out and what to do during gap year, I would really, really focus on destroying the MCAT. It is arguably the most important part of anyone's application and can tank it completely if you do badly. I would continue doing research, if you have time, to see if you can squeeze out any posters. Otherwise, consider starting your own club (not sure if the comp sci club was started by yourself) or nonprofit (not really necessary, but it's an option if you want to do it) to boost your leadership experiences. Lastly, I know you have some dream schools, but I would try to leave that mentality a bit and see what other schools have to offer so you don't end up disappointed if things don't work out that way.

Reactions: 3 users
I forgot to mention it, but I think your hobbies are pretty cool too. Going back to the leadership thing, you could start some org that revolves around music or art. Upload your songs to SoundCloud or Spotify, if you're comfortable with that (idk if this would really be a boost or x factor unless you have a big following but I think it would be cool). You can also go to the AAMC virtual events and similar to network with schools/current students.

Also welcome to SDN!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Please follow the WAMC template.

My two dream med schools are Stanford and DGSOM, and I really want to give myself the best shot of trying to get into them
That's quite a contrast. List the reasons why Stanford and Geffen UCLA are schools where you want to attend, similar to an X vs. Y post.

Reactions: 1 users
- 1 strong LOR, 3 Mid LORS, and 1 sus one. I know I need to work on this :/
So you only have 1 LOR.
Do not include any LOR that isn’t less than excellent in your app. Any vague/slightly negative feedback will sink your app. Always lead with asking your letter writers if they 100% can provide an enthusiatic letter of rec.

Advice for gap year is to really focus on gaining more meaningful volunteer experience and clinical experience that you can reflect on and help tie your app together more. For a school like DGSOM, they really value a theme and an idea of what you would bring to the field of medicine that is different from the majority. Based on your app so far, it seems like you’d be a better fit at Stanford/East Coast schools, not really a service oriented one or one that takes in a lot of URMs.

I forgot to mention it, but I think your hobbies are pretty cool too. Going back to the leadership thing, you could start some org that revolves around music or art. Upload your songs to SoundCloud or Spotify, if you're comfortable with that (idk if this would really be a boost or x factor unless you have a big following but I think it would be cool). You can also go to the AAMC virtual events and similar to network with schools/current students.

Also welcome to SDN!
Thank you so much for the advice!
I did perform a lot in high school, and even ended up on TV once or twice, but I figured since thats in high school, it wouldn't really count.
I really like your advice on starting an art club or music club, as I feel like that could be such a big de-stressor even if it's not a shiniest of x-factors :)

Please follow the WAMC template.

That's quite a contrast. List the reasons why Stanford and Geffen UCLA are schools where you want to attend, similar to an X vs. Y post.
Sorry about the template, I'll make sure to follow specifications for now on!

UCLA:
Pros
  • alma mater (love the area, love the food, had a great undergrad experience)
  • was sold on how happy med students were when I worked w/ them
  • research year sounds like great way to focus on pubs! I want to either continue the lab I'm in, or I know which labs I'd like to join now/which ones would pick me
cons:
  • I'm not really 'service-oriented' in the way UCLA likes. I focused a bit on tutoring disadvantaged students across the greater LA area, but I realize this might not be what they are looking for
  • LA traffic/expensive housing
  • ED not big despite growing need
Stanford:
Pros
  • Family member (not parents) went to school there, so I know the area, and they know labs that I'd like to join/have interest in
  • research oriented, focus on interdisciplinary approaches using AI and healthcare
  • good area, lots of surrounding opportunities + bio design companies
Cons:
  • competitive environment
  • I have no pubs, so unlikely they'd view me as a proper fit as a research-oriented school

Sorry about the template, I'll make sure to follow specifications for now on!

UCLA:
Pros
  • alma mater (love the area, love the food, had a great undergrad experience)
  • was sold on how happy med students were when I worked w/ them
  • research year sounds like great way to focus on pubs! I want to either continue the lab I'm in, or I know which labs I'd like to join now/which ones would pick me
cons:
  • I'm not really 'service-oriented' in the way UCLA likes. I focused a bit on tutoring disadvantaged students across the greater LA area, but I realize this might not be what they are looking for
  • LA traffic/expensive housing
  • ED not big despite growing need
Stanford:
Pros
  • Family member (not parents) went to school there, so I know the area, and they know labs that I'd like to join/have interest in
  • research oriented, focus on interdisciplinary approaches using AI and healthcare
  • good area, lots of surrounding opportunities + bio design companies
Cons:
  • competitive environment
  • I have no pubs, so unlikely they'd view me as a proper fit as a research-oriented school
Thanks... so you talk about research a lot. Why are you pursuing medicine and not going for a research track (MS/PhD) at a medical school?

Thanks... so you talk about research a lot. Why are you pursuing medicine and not going for a research track (MS/PhD) at a medical school?
Honestly, I've also asked myself this question a lot too: whether I should pursue medicine if I know I want to continue research regardless.

I think the main thing I realized after I became an MA and did my EMT ride alongs, is that I like patient contact and the responsibility of making sure someone is okay. Probably sounds corny after hearing so many other pre-meds say the same thing, but for me, it was the wake-up call that I will probably only ever talk to people in my chosen lab for the rest of my life if research is the path I go down. As an MD, I get to interact with people I probably wouldn't ever get to talk to otherwise, and I get the opportunity and responsibility to form deep connections as their care provider. An MD allows me to provide care that other professions, even in healthcare itself, could not compare to.
Another reason is that I realized an MD can open doors for clinical research that a PhD in just microbiology or physiology cannot.

I think the main thing I realized after I became an MA and did my EMT ride alongs, is that I like patient contact and the responsibility of making sure someone is okay. Probably sounds corny after hearing so many other pre-meds say the same thing, but for me, it was the wake-up call that I will probably only ever talk to people in my chosen lab for the rest of my life if research is the path I go down. As an MD, I get to interact with people I probably wouldn't ever get to talk to otherwise, and I get the opportunity and responsibility to form deep connections as their care provider. An MD allows me to provide care that other professions, even in healthcare itself, could not compare to.
I understand what you are saying, but what experiences support your statement that you like patient contact? (I presume you can describe it from your hospital volunteering, which should be more than transient as an EMT.)

In conferences with other professionals, you always see "the same crowd" after you choose a specialty for the rest of your professional life until you switch. I don't see this as compelling to say no to research.

Another reason is that I realized an MD can open doors for clinical research that a PhD in just microbiology or physiology cannot.
I think there will be more tracks to involve PhDs in translational research.