Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyler20

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools from your list:
  1. Kaiser
  2. USC
  3. UCI
  4. UCLA
  5. UCSD
  6. UCSF
  7. CUS&M
  8. Loma linda
  9. Saint Louis University
  10. Rosalin Franklin
  11. Frank H. Netter
  12. Dartmouth
  13. Georgetown
  14. Hackensack
  15. New York medical college
  16. Robert Larner
  17. Sidney Kimmel
  18. Tufts
  19. University of Colorado
  20. University of Pittsburgh
  21. VCU
  22. Wayne state (strong ties to MI)
  23. Western Michigan
  24. Albany medical college
  25. TCU
  26. Boston University
  27. George Washington
  28. Medical college of Wisconsin
  29. Oakland university
  30. Penn state
  31. Tulane
  32. University of Cincinnati
  33. University of Illinois
  34. University of Iowa
  35. University of Miami
  36. U of M
  37. Wake forest
  38. Belmont
  39. NOVA MD
  40. Creighton

Fair warning: your non-clinical community service involves much more advocacy and fundraising than directly helping those in need. Acting as a tutor often goes under "academic competencies". You should get 150 hours (before submission) of community service experience showing service orientation such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation to avoid getting screened out at most schools. The more diverse the underserved population you have interacted with through your activities, the stronger your application profile is. I'll give you credit for those with disabilities and children, and refugees/immigrants so try going beyond these populations.

Also being in California, there is often a strong preference for those who grew up in underserved communities close to the medical school main campus. If you are dedicated to working with underserved communities, you should have a specific mission that fits with the PRIME programs you wish to participate in. They all sound the same, but each is quite different. Research the spiritual community at and mission of Loma Linda.

You should check the AMMSA chapters list and ask questions to officers about the student community and support. If working with refugees is within your primary purpose and motivation as a physician, check out programs that involve contact with immigrant populations, such as

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair warning: your non-clinical community service involves much more advocacy and fundraising than directly helping those in need. Acting as a tutor often goes under "academic competencies". You should get 150 hours (before submission) of community service experience showing service orientation such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation to avoid getting screened out at most schools. The more diverse the underserved population you have interacted with through your activities, the stronger your application profile is. I'll give you credit for those with disabilities and children, and refugees/immigrants so try going beyond these populations.

Also being in California, there is often a strong preference for those who grew up in underserved communities close to the medical school main campus. If you are dedicated to working with underserved communities, you should have a specific mission that fits with the PRIME programs you wish to participate in. They all sound the same, but each is quite different. Research the spiritual community at and mission of Loma Linda.

You should check the AMMSA chapters list and ask questions to officers about the student community and support. If working with refugees is within your primary purpose and motivation as a physician, check out programs that involve contact with immigrant populations, such as
I’ll definitely look into those thank you! To elaborate on the hard of hearing program though, it isn’t exactly tutoring. it’s a literacy program designed to help d/Deaf children develop listening and language skills. i’m not sure if that still falls under “academic competencies” as i saw it as more hands-on.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools from your list:
  1. Kaiser
  2. USC
  3. UCI
  4. UCLA
  5. UCSD
  6. UCSF
  7. CUS&M
  8. Loma linda
  9. Saint Louis University
  10. Rosalin Franklin