WAMC/School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flightzebra

Reaction score
Hi! I made the same post last year, hoping to apply, but decided not to with Mr.Smile12's advice. Thanks to Mr.Smile12's advice, I spent the gap year getting shadowing experience and improving on my MCAT score. As seen in my stats, I've switched from pre-pharm to pre-med two years ago. Starting next month, I might work as a medical scribe with the family medicine doctor I shadowed. I am not sure of the exact timeline yet, as I received the offer to work from the doctor last week, but I plan to include it in my application.

Regarding the school list, I'm unsure if I have too many reach schools. Thank you in advance for taking the time to review my post!
  1. cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.93

2. MCAT score: 507 (128/125/125/ 129) --> 520 (131/126/131/132)

3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA/Permanent Resident

4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian (ORM)

5. Undergraduate institution: UCLA Biochem major

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 800+ hours at CVS as Pharm tech, 300+ hours at Veterans Home (Volunteer as Pharm Tech), 50+ hospital volunteer hours, Projected Work as a medical scribe in June/July 2024

7. Research experience and productivity: 500+ hours

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours in Family Medicine

9. Non-clinical volunteering: 300+ hours at a Senior Center (Co-President at student org serving older adults)

10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 200+ hours of tutoring, 70 hours of Table Tennis Club Sports), 200+ hours Co-President at public health student org (LA regional Food Bank, Care Package Drives), Social Chair at Pre-pharm society

11. Relevant honors or awards: College Honors

12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    Moved to the U.S. during junior high, Ran 2 LA marathons in 2020 and 2023 during college
Current School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Arizona - Phoenix
Arizona - Tucson
Brown
California Northstate
CUSM
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Kaiser
Loyola Stritch
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Stanford
U-Michigan
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
Virginia
Wayne
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
The school list looks decent, could remove AZ schools, Albany, Northstate (accreditation), GW, SSOM, and RFU (stats). Possibly others might not work as well with your profile. Western Michigan probably won't give you an interview with your stats unless you have some sort of connection with the state/area. Do you have Northern California ties for UC Davis? CA residents without Norther California ties do get interviews, but less often.

You could add:
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Hofstra
Miami
Nova
USF Morsani
Iowa
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Rochester
Thomas Jefferson
Hackensack

+ a handful of T20's, as you have a competitive MCAT. I'm not well versed in the T20's so I'll let another ADCOM speak to which top schools you might be competitive at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the MCAT improvement, that’s great.

For clarification - are you planning on applying this upcoming cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Your Pharmacy Tech position may be clinical but usually those positions involve little patient interaction other than filling prescriptions. California Northstate has accreditation problems. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Albany
Rochester
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
U Virginia
Wake Forest
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
U Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Iowa
Illinois
Arizona (Phoenix)
Kaiser
California University
USC Keck
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)