WesternU or UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was accepted to both UNLV and WesternU, but idk which program to choose. If you go to any of these schools, can you give some pros and cons of your school to help me decide. I'm a CA resident, but I know UNLV offers in-state tuition after the first year. I really like both schools and cost is a big factor in my decision. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I was accepted to both UNLV and WesternU, but idk which program to choose. If you go to any of these schools, can you give some pros and cons of your school to help me decide. I'm a CA resident, but I know UNLV offers in-state tuition after the first year. I really like both schools and cost is a big factor in my decision. Thank you!
cheaper...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
bruh, you're a broken record about this. OP is aware that cost is important, but it's still important they hear about other factors.
bruh, sorry you don't respect my opinion. but OP said "cost is a big factor", to me that says that they should choose the cheaper school. there are no other factors that would outweigh that, unless OP has BIG personal reasons to stay near pomona...

bruh, sorry you don't respect my opinion. but OP said "cost is a big factor", to me that says that they should choose the cheaper school. there are no other factors that would outweigh that, unless OP has BIG personal reasons to stay near pomona...
it's all good brotha, no disrespect, sending lots of respect your way.

I just think you saying "cheaper" isn't as helpful as you think it is. Maybe say, "X school bc it's cheaper." Or maybe say "X school may seem cheaper, but choose Y because cost of living is so much cheaper there that Y works out to be cheaper in the long run." OP knows cheaper is better, but they may not be able to perfectly tell which school is cheaper. That's all. Cost is important. I'm picking my school based off cost, but within cost there's a lot of nuance in terms of things to consider.

It's all love.

OP, I vote UNLV. LV cost of living is cheaper than SoCal. Tuition being less is a huge factor. Clinical experience is the same between those 2 from what I've heard. LV is nicer than Pomona and there's more to do.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I vote UNLV. LV cost of living is cheaper than SoCal. Tuition being less is a huge factor. Clinical experience is the same between those 2 from what I've heard. LV is nicer than Pomona and there's more to do.
I actually live 45 min from WesternU so I don’t have to worry about cost of living for that one. But I was also wondering how the clinical experience is for both of them. I feel like they’re the same as well which is what makes it hard for me to decide too. I tried to look at the cost difference and it seems like Western is a lot more than UNLV

I actually live 45 min from WesternU so I don’t have to worry about cost of living for that one. But I was also wondering how the clinical experience is for both of them. I feel like they’re the same as well which is what makes it hard for me to decide too. I tried to look at the cost difference and it seems like Western is a lot more than UNLV
wait, are you saying that you are going to live at home and commute 45 minutes each way?
what is the cost delta if you are not paying for rent and some meals?

I’d assess what the cost difference would be by counting it all out. Then take into account whether or not you want to live by home. For me, I want to be a decent distance away so I’d pay 10-20k more for independence, but I wouldn’t spend 30k more.

I went to UNLV and can say that I liked it mostly because of the students. I had a really great class and we all got along together really well. I thought the clinical aspect was pretty good overall. Of course there are issues like with every dental school but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I am from CA too and got in state tuition after the first year so that saved me a lot of money. I think also living in Vegas is a pretty fun experience because there is always something to do when you aren't studying. My friends and I would go out to the Strip or to Fremont which is north of the strip and more "local" I suppose. Also, friends from home ALWAYS wanted to come visit so that was cool! I don't know much about Western but I haven't heard the greatest things about it. I may be wrong though so don't quote me

Man I am literally in the same exact boat as you right now with UNLV vs WesternU, except I live like 20 minutes away from WesternU, in Rancho Cucamonga. If you don't mind the commute we can be future classmates!

wait, are you saying that you are going to live at home and commute 45 minutes each way?
what is the cost delta if you are not paying for rent and some meals?
Yea I would be commuting every day to western. I feel like it would even out with the tuition difference between them

I’d assess what the cost difference would be by counting it all out. Then take into account whether or not you want to live by home. For me, I want to be a decent distance away so I’d pay 10-20k more for independence, but I wouldn’t spend 30k more.
I want my independence as well but living in CA is pretty expensive. I’m hoping I get scholarships as well

I went to UNLV and can say that I liked it mostly because of the students. I had a really great class and we all got along together really well. I thought the clinical aspect was pretty good overall. Of course there are issues like with every dental school but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I am from CA too and got in state tuition after the first year so that saved me a lot of money. I think also living in Vegas is a pretty fun experience because there is always something to do when you aren't studying. My friends and I would go out to the Strip or to Fremont which is north of the strip and more "local" I suppose. Also, friends from home ALWAYS wanted to come visit so that was cool! I don't know much about Western but I haven't heard the greatest things about it. I may be wrong though so don't quote me
Thank you for the info! How are the faculty? Are they approachable? The in-state tuition is really good which is why I would go there

Man I am literally in the same exact boat as you right now with UNLV vs WesternU, except I live like 20 minutes away from WesternU, in Rancho Cucamonga. If you don't mind the commute we can be future classmates!
Oh yea you live a lot closer that I do lol the commute wasn’t too bad when I went for the interview. Are you still deciding between the two or are you set on western?

Thank you for the info! How are the faculty? Are they approachable? The in-state tuition is really good which is why I would go there
I would say overall they are nice. I mean there are a few here and there that I didn't like at all, but you'll find that anywhere. I will say that that school as an insane amount of faculty turnover -- the school is constantly looking for professors/clinical faculty and that can make it difficult scheduling patients in clinic. There was a few days when I was there that clinic had to be closed because there was not enough clinical faculty to go around. So that is something to think about. That said, the school only have GPR/Ortho/Pediatric residency programs, meaning you get a LOT of prosth/endo/restorative experience. There was a guy that graduated a year before me that did 150 molar root canals. 150. Some schools have you do 2-3 root canals total! Dr. Lemon runs the endo department (may be retiring soon?), but it's by far the best undergraduate endo program in the country. We also get to do pediatric rotations at the pediatric clinic, as well as work with the ortho residents sometimes.

Overall I enjoyed it! And it was cheap -- I was paying $500-600 a month in rent (with a roommate) throughout school. Getting back to CA was easy too, just take the 15 all the way. All this said, if it's the same price to go to UNLV as it is Western, and you are from the area of Western, it wouldn't be a bad decision to just stay home too. Like you said, do you want to live in a similar area for 4 more years without branching out of CA? It's up to you

Oh yea you live a lot closer that I do lol the commute wasn’t too bad when I went for the interview. Are you still deciding between the two or are you set on western?
Definitely keeping my options open right now but definitely leaning towards Western, its just nice to have my living expenses covered for a little longer before I decide to move out of my parents