Why am I in so much limbo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisgood7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a point in the cycle where I feel like I have gotten all of the interview invitations that I'm going to get. But after looking through my school list and on forums here, I have only been rejected/put on hold from a few of my schools at most. Most of my remaining schools after looking up information on SDN and reddit are clearly not schools that do silent rejections at the end of the cycle. As I watch school-specific forums, people with higher stats than mine (LM 70, gpa 3.5, mcat 518) who applied at around the same time as me (mid-July) are getting rejected, when I'm not hearing anything.

I've checked my portals at least once a week to monitor and check immediately after someone posts on SDN about a status update. I know all of my materials are in and that I am being actively reviewed, but I guess I'm just confused as to where I stand in the applicant pool based on this information. Does this mean that they're on the fence about me or does this mean that they have chosen to review me last in the pile because I am truly not good enough.

I am sure a good amount of people are in this same position and I'm lucky to have had the interviews I have had, but I am just curious because I don't have the closure that I was hoping for at this point and am wondering about preparing to reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How many interviews have you had this cycle. What were the results of your interviews? It’s hard to say what the issue with your application is or even if there is an issue. If you’ve had interviews then your application is okay. Schools can’t interview every applicant and because we really know nothing about your application who knows. But as many people on here always say always plan for a reapplication until you have that A in hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's some more info: I've had three interviews all of them at in-state institutions. I got put on the waitlist for one of them back in November and only just completed the other two interviews earlier this month.

there are very few places that I am still holding out hope for, but as an ORM applicant, I would appreciate some brutal honesty about my chances haha. You can assume that everything else about my application is very vanilla in terms of premed activities but I'd be happy to elaborate over PMs if you think you would be able to help me understand!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Silence isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's hard to gauge your position without knowing your stats and school list. Some schools can take up to 2 months before making a decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the insight everyone! I realize this is a very vague post^, I'm just trying to gain some insight without giving up my identity to anyone reading. I'll be patient and send updates to the schools I haven't already sent them to!

Here's some more info: I've had three interviews all of them at in-state institutions. I got put on the waitlist for one of them back in November and only just completed the other two interviews earlier this month.

With stats as poor as these, there are very places that I am still holding out hope for, but as an ORM applicant, I would appreciate some brutal honesty about my chances haha. You can assume that everything else about my application is very vanilla in terms of premed activities but I'd be happy to elaborate over PMs if you think you would be able to help me understand!

You have had three interviews. How are those poor stats? Thousands of applicants get no interviews. If you aren’t accepted it isn’t your application, it’s your interviewing skills.

And your best chances are always at your state schools. I guess you aren’t impressed by the home schools. Will you go if you are accepted to one of them?

Reactions: 4 users
I actually really loved all of the ones I interviewed at and would be happy to attend any of them! I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful, I really am! And I say they are poor stats because at least one interviewer I had at each of the schools brought them up to me specifically (I think because of the imbalance between them).

My post sounds super neurotic simply because none of those have converted to an A, so I am trying to gauge whether this is somewhat normal/plan for the next cycle. I am sorry for the poor wording on my part!

Last edited:
This thread is an oldie but goodie (IMHO).

With three interviews, your chances of getting at least one offer are very, very good.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users