Wisconsin (full tuition) vs. UMich vs. Geisel (please help <3)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifetimeBenefit53589

Reaction score
I have thought so long and hard about this, and I am still so torn. If anyone has any advice or perspective, I would really appreciate the help! :)

Wisconsin
Pros
  • Full tuition scholarship
  • Close proximity to family
  • More freedom to explore interests without fear of compiling debt
Cons
  • Ultimately want to end up on the east coast for residency (may be more challenging to match there)
  • Challenging to visit partner (they are on the east coast attending medical school)
  • Did not connect as well with faculty and students while visiting
UMich
Pros
  • Excellent match
  • May be easier to match on the east coast
  • Connected well with faculty and students while visiting
  • Easier to visit partner
Cons
  • Extremely high cost of attendance
Geisel
Pros
  • Partner is a medical student here, and we want to couples match
  • Great match list on the east coast
  • Offered 20k scholarship/year
Cons
  • Higher cost of attendance
  • Rural area (envisioned myself in a more urban setting)

Summary: If the cost was equal, I would probably pick UMich. With the free tuition at Wisconsin and my partner at Geisel, I am torn. Any help or perspective would be so appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to wisconsin, it’s really so not worth the debt at michigan when you have a great school for free with the support of your family nearby

Personally, I’d go with Wisconsin - it’s a very strong program and that full tuition is huge. Michigan is clearly the higher ranked school, but I don’t think the marginal difference in prestige is worth the cost jump. I also think a lot of the Wisc match list is selection bias because it’s a Midwest state school. With connections and Aways no reason why you couldn’t match on the East Coast. Congrats and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely a hard choice, full tuition at Wisconsin with family support seems like the best choice logically. From your post it seems like you would be happiest at UMich. Definitely heart vs. head decision. Congrats and best of luck on making a decision!!!

you can buy a lot of flights to your SO with a full tuition scholarship. You’ll both be busy but free med school is a life changing opportunity.

Seems like you really want Mich but I think you'll be happiest overall with low debt, family, and at a T30. Just flip over the M and u get UW, ez

Reactions: 1 user
What is the total projected debt for Michigan vs Wisconsin vs Geisel? I'm assuming you'll still take out loans for COL, even at Wisconsin?

Are there any programs at Michigan that you envision yourself taking advantage of? Are there any competitive specialties calling out to you? Michigan is T10-T15 for medicine and I agree that can be hard to pass up but if your overall goal is to just become a clinician (not research heavy or anything else too ambitious), I think Wisconsin would be the most ideal option.