Working in the ICU during the pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brigade4Radiant

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else's hospital asking them to work as a back up for the intensivist. We are independent contractors the hospital is offering what it pays the ICU doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else's hospital asking them to work as a back up for the intensivist. We are independent contractors the hospital is offering what it pays the ICU doctor.

I’d run that by your group’s malpractice insurer. I bet that they will not cover you exceeding your scope of practice. Also, keep in mind that plaintiff’s attorneys will try to hold you to the same standard as other doctors in the ICU - just like we do to FPs who dabble in the ED and wind up culling the herd with misplaced ET tubes. Unless your state has passed some pretty amazing tort protections, I’d give that hard pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been discussed in my group as well. I have serious concerns about doing it. Unfortunately the EP is almost always the safety net when patients go bad so it may roll to us anyway. That said ShockIndex makes a very valid point. There is a difference medico legally between responding to a code and accepting the responsibility of managing patients.

I’d run that by your group’s malpractice insurer. I bet that they will not cover you exceeding your scope of practice. Also, keep in mind that plaintiff’s attorneys will try to hold you to the same standard as other doctors in the ICU - just like we do to FPs who dabble in the ED and wind up culling the herd with misplaced ET tubes. Unless your state has passed some pretty amazing tort protections, I’d give that hard pass.
Agree.

Some docs in our group are advocating for it. I have insufficient knowledge of vent management, and other core ICU knowledge to do this.

Our ICU docs asked if we want to cross train. I briefly considered it until others here set me right. I'll go upstairs to help them in a pinch, but I shouldn't be solo managing vented patients with atypical, or any, ARDS.