Worried About Being Overweight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedFrenchFry

Reaction score
Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I am quite overweight and heavy. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

Just wanted to add, I do hold the belief that physicians should be models for their patients, as patients may not feel comfortable taking health advice from an overweight individual. However, I also understand that there are so many factors that can lead someone to be overweight that it is not as simple as "just eat healthier and exercise."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.
Your personality, character, and interpersonal skills will matter a lot more than your BMI and clothing size. Some of the more popular people in my medical school class were larger in figure.

And as a resident and now attending, I don't judge students based on their body size. I care about their work ethic, teachability, and ability to care for patients, etc. Just my thoughts as a big fluffy dog *woof*.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Look man lots of us are fat haha.

Stuff like this just doesn't matter. I'm planning on being a super fit 4th year but it's kinda hard to get crazy fit when you're on IM and surgery......

Members don't see this ad :)
Be your authentic self and you will succeed. The school obviously believes in you and your abilities. They accepted you for a reason.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I was accepted to my dream medical school recently, and I was so excited for second look. However, I noticed that among the accepted students, I was the only overweight one as everyone else was fit and skinny. I am not morbidly obese, but it is obvious I am overweight. I do think I can get to a healthy weight by the school's orientation week (as I already lost a good amount of weight so far), but I definitely can't lose enough weight for the upcoming second look weekend. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

Just wanted to add, I do hold the belief that physicians should be models for their patients, as patients may not feel comfortable taking health advice from an overweight individual. However, I also understand that there are so many factors that can lead someone to be overweight that it is not as simple as "just eat healthier and exercise."
I have maybe two morbidly obese students in my OMSI class, and I think 1 in the OMSIIs.

Based upon what my clinical colleagues tell me, your overweight/obese patients will know that you know what it's like to be in their shoes.

Reactions: 4 users
Consider

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry your parents have told you no one will respect you or want to befriend you due to your size. That's not true, and it must have been a hurtful message to hear. I know that heavier people face a lot of prejudice, but please know there are plenty of us among your classmates who will like you for your personality, not your body shape.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you all very much for your kind words! They truly meant a lot. I decided to go ahead and visit my school during second look weekend. I will continue to exercise and lose weight, not for fear of my classmates judging me, but for my own health instead.

• Love
Good luck to you, friend :) I am also weight-conscious/embarrassed and have constantly thought about exactly what you said in your initial post. Will definitely be heading to the gym A LOT after my MCAT.

n =1 here of course, but I know a neurosurgeon who is morbidly obese and that has NOT affected his standing or his profession whatsoever. He is an excellent doctor and his career only seems to be getting bigger & better. Otherwise he would've, God forbid, been discriminated against and remained stagnant after medical school or something. I believe he's even set to be the department's residency program director pretty soon.

And a friend who is a radiologist had weight troubles in medical school because he was under constant stress. He found his path much later and is much healthier, with a wife, 3 children, big house and successful career. Let nothing hold you back! You made it in

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to you, friend :) I am also weight-conscious/embarrassed and have constantly thought about exactly what you said in your initial post. Will definitely be heading to the gym A LOT after my MCAT.

n =1 here of course, but I know a neurosurgeon who is morbidly obese and that has NOT affected his standing or his profession whatsoever. He is an excellent doctor and his career only seems to be getting bigger & better. Otherwise he would've, God forbid, been discriminated against and remained stagnant after medical school or something. I believe he's even set to be the department's residency program director pretty soon.

And a friend who is a radiologist had weight troubles in medical school because he was under constant stress. He found his path much later and is much healthier, with a wife, 3 children, big house and successful career. Let nothing hold you back! You made it in
Thank you for the stories, they are very encouraging! Best of luck for your MCAT and your future cycle! I also had the same worries when doing interviews, and as I said, I was able to get into my dream school.

Last edited:
Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I was accepted to my dream medical school recently, and I was so excited for second look. However, I noticed that among the accepted students, I was the only overweight one as everyone else was fit and skinny. I am not morbidly obese, but it is obvious I am overweight. I do think I can get to a healthy weight by the school's orientation week (as I already lost a good amount of weight so far), but I definitely can't lose enough weight for the upcoming second look weekend. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

No one is going to care unless you wear clothes that don't fit, for whatever reason.

Yeah - you said you weren't morbidly obese, so you're going to be fine.

Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I am quite overweight and heavy. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

If you have an ideal weight in mind, now is a good time to find a great PCP and come up with an actionable plan.

Med school kinda wrecked me lol. I used to run a 5k every other day, now I don't exercise and I'm in your boat.

Nobody cares.

Still, you and I should probably eat less so we don't get diabetes or whatever

I have maybe two morbidly obese students in my OMSI class, and I think 1 in the OMSIIs.

Based upon what my clinical colleagues tell me, your overweight/obese patients will know that you know what it's like to be in their shoes.
3 students out of how many? Compare that to the regular population. Obese medical students, residents, and doctors are going to be judged. Can you do it? Sure. Can you be a great doctor, yes.

If you have an ideal weight in mind, now is a good time to find a great PCP and come up with an actionable plan.
^^^ you have a few months before July/August to build new eating/exercise habits that you can hopefully carry into med school!

I don’t think people will judge/think less of you because of your weight (if they do, you probably shouldn’t listen to their opinions of you anyway). However, it sounds like this is an aspect of your own life you want to change. So make a plan and really give it a go before school starts. For yourself, not for others.

I read the case - if you're being charitable to Ms. Niehay, she got railroaded...but she also weighed 400 pounds at 5'8"; this is an entirely different kettle of fish and set of biases and physical limitations than someone who could stand to lose 30 or 40 pounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately there have been many sensationalist and one-sided presentations about this case. Do those who are morbidly obese face discrimination? Absolutely. But few people are being fired simply because of their weight. This resident's case seemed to be based more in competency and general work ethic (or lack thereof). Residents have been placed on probation and/or fired for similar offenses regardless of their weight.

Notable paragraphs (my emphasis in bold):

Approximately five months into Niehay's first year of residency, concerns arose regarding her performance. One of the professors and attending physicians, Dr. Sabrina Taylor, sent Wells an email entitled "Problem With a Resident". Taylor reported that she and Niehay had performed a procedure together over the weekend and that Niehay had "really struggled". Taylor said that Niehay was "sweating profusely, dyspneic and had to take multiple breaks because of her inability to stand and at times bend over to gain the best access." Taylor "blame[d] it primarily on [Niehay's] habitus." Taylor stated that she had to "correct [Niehay's] technique, because she kept getting distracted by all of the issues she was having." She was concerned about Niehay's ability to perform "physically challenging procedures" and "fear[ed] it could be problematic and quite dangerous." Taylor noted that "t certainly doesn't instill the greatest amount of confidence in the patients she treats, as they see her suffer through, sweating and panting along the way." Taylor also reported that Niehay "seems to avoid being physically active in the sim[ulation] lab" and that she has to be "encourage[d]" to do invasive procedures.

In response, Wells solicited input from other attending physicians regarding issues they had experienced with Niehay, and other physicians expressed concerns. One physician found Niehay's motivation to be "less than optimal" and said that she was "unclear [about] how to evaluate basic patients." He also said that Niehay "pretty much stated [that] she hadn't been studying[ ]", and he found that to be "discouraging". Another physician found Niehay's performance during a recent procedure to be satisfactory, "perhaps exceeding her level of training", but noted that her sweating could pose a patient safety issue due to the potential for contamination of a sterile area.

Over the next several weeks, additional concerns arose. In late December, Niehay missed her shift and instead showed up as a patient in the emergency department where she was supposed to be working, complaining of "really bad heart palpitations." She failed to inform Wells of her absence until nearly 24 hours later. In January 2016, Wells learned that Niehay had self-prescribed a refill for her blood-pressure medication, in violation of University policy for residents. Shortly thereafter, Wells received an email from Dr. Adam Moore, a chief resident, reporting that Niehay opted not to perform a procedure on one of her patients because the proper size gown was not readily available to her. Instead, she allowed another intern to perform the procedure. Moore stayed an hour after his shift to assist with the procedure, but Niehay departed. Moore was concerned that Niehay was "giving away valuable procedures as an intern" and "not sticking around to take care of her patient."

After consulting with others, Wells recommended an emergency meeting of the Clinical Competency Committee to consider how best to respond to Niehay's issues. The Committee met and recommended that Wells place Niehay on a three-month probation with a remediation plan. Over the next two weeks, while Wells prepared the remediation plan, she continued to receive negative reports about Niehay's performance. For example, Dr. Priscilla Reyes gave Niehay low scores on an end-of-shift evaluation and told Wells that Niehay's "knowledge base appears to be very much lacking." The following week, Wells received emails from Reyes and two senior residents, Dr. Michael Tran and Dr. Brandon Charlton, regarding a central-line procedure that Niehay had recently performed. Reyes reported that Niehay was not exhibiting the appropriate level of urgency to begin the necessary, time-sensitive procedure. Charlton relayed that she seemed inexperienced and required some assistance during the procedure and that she became physically ill while performing it. Tran explained that Niehay "overheated" and noted that her reaction could be problematic in a Level 1 trauma room.

Wells and MacKay met with Niehay at the end of January and informed her that she would be placed on probation and under a remediation plan. Niehay responded by requesting a one-month leave of absence to give herself time for self-assessment and to demonstrate her good-faith desire to address any deficiencies. MacKay and Wells agreed to her request. Niehay returned to her residency in March 2016. By the end of March, however, Wells had received additional reports from a number of faculty members expressing similar concerns regarding Niehay's performance, attendance, professionalism, and patient care. In one incident, Niehay came into work but left within an hour with flu-like symptoms. She asked two other residents to see her patients for her and then departed. One of the residents who took over caring for her patients, Dr. Erin De La Cruz, reported to Wells via email that Niehay left unfinished notes and did not order labs for her patients, which posed a patient safety risk because the residents were unsure how much she had done and "something could have been missed."

De La Cruz also reported that there were at least two occasions in which Niehay declined to evaluate critically ill patients, creating a patient safety risk. In the first incident, a nurse came into the lounge and informed Niehay and De La Cruz that a patient had an elevated heart rate and was complaining of abdominal pain. Without evaluating the patient, Niehay instructed the nurse to give the patient fentanyl. De La Cruz went to see the patient and found that the patient also had rapid breathing and low oxygen levels and needed to be placed on a ventilator. De La Cruz stated that the patient "likely would have continued to decompensate" had she not gone to see him. In the other incident, a nurse reported to the doctors that a patient who had recently had surgery for a stab wound was vomiting. De La Cruz was busy and asked Niehay to evaluate him, and Niehay responded, "Well, what am I supposed to do about it?" After further pressure from De La Cruz, Niehay eventually saw the patient, and it was discovered that he had a small-bowel obstruction. De La Cruz ended her email by noting that "t has been a very frustrating month as us other interns have had to shoulder a lot of the burden [Niehay] has left."

Wells forwarded these reports to the Committee and proposed another emergency meeting. The Committee met and recommended that Niehay be suspended pending an investigation and evaluation of her post-leave performance. On April 19, 2016, the Committee recommended that Niehay be dismissed from the residency program. MacKay agreed with the recommendation and sent a letter to Niehay on April 25 notifying her of the recommendation. Niehay appealed, but the University's appeals panel upheld the recommendation and the University president agreed, dismissing Niehay from the program in May.

Reactions: 3 users
We gonna make it bruv. I sometimes go to the gym just to GET PUMPED OUTTA MY MIND while having Daft Punk on replay:

- sincerely incoming ortho bro 🤙

But to be on the real, I haven't worked out for like 3 months. Been a lazy potato. Game plan I recommend for everyone:
  • Swimming burns calories like no other
  • Functional fitness is more fun - get into some sports, kabaddi is my personal fav; just fall in love with the intensity and it'll prob take 1-2 months to see some serious results

The answer is complex, honestly. There may indeed be some people who will judge you based on your weight. In fact, if you are trying to lose weight, one of those people is actually you. There's nothing wrong with that, inherently. You move forward when something better is ahead of you and/or when something worse is behind you. And I think we all intuitively understand that we will most likely fulfill more of our potential and live a better life if we are striving to be the best person we can be. If you are worried about weight, then it is probably reasonable to conclude you have identified for yourself an area in your life where you are not the best you could be, and it is then appropriate for you to address that issue and try to improve yourself.

But, you should place all those concerns and fears into their appropriate context:

1. You will NOT be the only overweight/obese physician out there.

2. While weight may be YOUR health struggle, just look around yourself and see what's going on with the skinny people in your environs. Lack of sleep; lack of exercise; lack of work-life balance; chronic stress; and then the way it's dealt with - drinking, maybe even some drug use - none of these things are conducive to health and you will see that several are absolutely endemic to your new field.

3. Find a way to let your worries/concerns/fears drive you forward to a better future, not represent brick walls impeding your path. It's easy to descend into "well, I'll never get fit anyway, so what does it matter if I grab this milkshake?"

4. Understand when and why you eat. For me, the drive to be 'productive' was such that the only time I felt like I could take a break was when I was eating. I didn't 'need' to exercise to stay alive and study, but I did need to eat.

5. You say it isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise." Yes, it is that simple. Burn more than you consume and you WILL lose weight. But - and this is the crucial point - being simple is the furthest thing from being EASY. It is simple; it is NOT easy. As Clausewitz said on War:
"Everything in war is very simple. But the simplest thing is difficult." Eating less is simple, and it is hard. Exercise is simple, and carving out the time and energy to do so as a medical student is hard.

So, end of the day, it's ideal to be at an ideal weight, but recognize that, in our modern world, doing so is hard. It's worthwhile, but it is hard. Do what you can; don't beat yourself up and wallow if the going is slow for awhile. Bend your trajectory in the direction you want and you'll get where you're going eventually. Be a little better today than yesterday.

Source: BMI of about 28 starting med school, peaked at around 38-39 in the middle of residency, lost weight PGY-4 to 23, gained back to 28-29 a couple years out of training, back down to about 23 right before the pandemic, progressive climb back up to about 30 right now. Take the long view. You'll have times in your life where you can really prioritize diet and exercise, and times when you can't. During the latter, and med school/residency will likely be among those times, do what you can to keep enough of a handle on your weight until times get better. For us, this is going to be a lifelong process - I at least have never gotten to a point where it isn't an issue, and I expect I never will.

Just a quick note to say how happy I was to see this post... sending massive hugs. Have been a big guy all my life and had the exact same worries as you.

I went to see a therapist last year (a psychiatrist, MD, but not for medication) and he mentioned that, as a doctor, he would feel as though having experiences such as ours not being of "traditional body shape and size" will make us only more empathetic and helpful to our patients that may also present with similar.

I'm applying this cycle - I've lost 70+ pounds after I joined a sports team (with other amateur players) and wrote about it candidly on my app and my weight loss. I think it can only be a positive thing.

Also, if you're on the younger side (I'm in my mid-late 20's a non-trad), things like this get much better as you get older and start giving less f*cks. It sounds like you've already gotten the A for med school? Congrats my friend... that shows much more about you and your character than the clothes you wear or the number on a scale.