The official Jefferson Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's any help, I gave up my spot last week. I'm a country boy and could pass up the Dartmouth acceptance off the waitlist. Good luck to all you WLers out there!

Originally posted by heroin5
cc says that jeff has about 6 more acceptances out than spots available-not likely to give out any more until some more people give up spots. grrr!

if your in and dont want to go there-feel free to withdraw :)

Members don't see this ad.

i also withdrew this past week...at the very least its down to four right? g'luck everyone!

hey all, i just got my housing assignment too. Looks like now I'll be flying into phl from portland around jul 31. I'll do some shopping for essentials, then orientation starts.

I'll probably bring my car for rotations, but for years 1&2 it's collecting dust in oregon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by carrigallen
hey all, i just got my housing assignment too. Looks like now I'll be flying into phl from portland around jul 31. I'll do some shopping for essentials, then orientation starts.

I'll probably bring my car for rotations, but for years 1&2 it's collecting dust in oregon. :)

Gave up on the U-Haul? Coincidentally, my dad and I are flying in on that day too. Small world!

Originally posted by PrincessCKNY
Gave up on the U-Haul? Coincidentally, my dad and I are flying in on that day too. Small world!

yes, i think i'm doing the u-haul next year. I'm flying over night on america west (never flown with them before) then moving in jul 31. Lucky your dad is coming, is he staying for the orient. week?

I am making the big move Aug 2nd. We should start organizing nightly events for orientation week.

yes, i think i'm doing the u-haul next year. I'm flying over night on america west (never flown with them before) then moving in jul 31. Lucky your dad is coming, is he staying for the orient. week?

I'm not sure. He's scheduled to return on Aug 4, but if I'm still not fully settled in he's willing to stay to help me get settled in and for the white coat ceremony. :D (I thought I was going to be all alone. :( ) My only worry is that he'll be stuck in a hotel room or my apt while I'm doing all of my orientation activities.

Just finished with the entrance interview requirement. :scared: kinda long, but good information.

i have an idea. :idea: We can make a list of all the material we need to have finished by registration.

- Financial Aid Entrance interview (online)
- Stafford MPN (online, THE or MedCap)
- Jefferson/Perkins MPNs (mail)
- Tuition payment (mail)
- In-school deferment for current Perkin/Stafford (have ready)

- Health vaccination record (mail)
- Physical form (mail)
- Mening. vaccine form (mail)
- Healthcare election form (mail)

- Housing form and security deposit (mail)
- White coat order form (mail)
- AAMC survey (printout & bring)
- Official Transcripts (mail)

Another idea. Here is a list of sdn'ers who are Jeff 2007:

carrigallen
PrincessCKNY
sperry
JScrusader
ShortStuff
allan120
phillymed
ayj
CCKS

What is the In-school deferment for current Perkin/Stafford?

I just got into town a few days ago and am really excited to start meeting my classmates and exploring around philadelphia. So much for the dorms, i just got fraternity housing at a price i couldn't say no to. Any first years already in town? My IM is jimph6361 drop me a line if you're in town. Also if any first years do indoor climbing or like to go climbing def get in touch!

Jim

JSCrusader: Yep. Perkins are deferred in-school and 9 months after you graduate. Subsidized Stafford are deferred in-school and 6 months after you graduate. Residency does not count as a deferrment period (post-1993 rule) although it is possible to forbear your loan. Jefferson Institutional loans are roughly similiar to Perkins.

Slickness: Please post your question on the Jefferson Secondary Thread .

only 9 days until registration! :cool:

As far as the optional personal statement on Jefferson's secondary, my impression is that it is pretty important. Jefferson wants to know that you really like their school and the lady who interviewed me asked me directly what I liked about Jefferson as well as where Jefferson was on the list of schools I applied to. Another one of her questions was "How hard do you want me to fight for you with the admissions committee?"

My recommendations were 1 bio prof, 1 thermodynamics prof, 3 former managers at my job (I was an engineer for 5 years). I got in off the waitlist in late May.

ayj

JSCrusader: Yep. Perkins are deferred in-school and 9 months after you graduate. Subsidized Stafford are deferred in-school and 6 months after you graduate. Residency does not count as a deferrment period (post-1993 rule) although it is possible to forbear your loan. Jefferson Institutional loans are roughly similiar to Perkins.

Is that for people that had loans during their undergrad?

Slickness - I filled in the "additional info" section - but only sent in 2 science letters (w/prior permission). General rule of thumb on all apps - don't leave anything blank. If they ask for anything else you want to say - find something to say. The blank is there for a reason :p

class of '07 - looking forward to 'officially' meeting everyone!! I'll be at the happy hr event on the 2nd - anyone else? I don't think I'll make the picnic on the 3rd. Otherwise, see y'all on the 4th!!

I think they had the same problem w/last year's apps. An odd little quirk of their app (one of many)... I think I ended up sending the on-line version in. If you print it out and send it - just send in an additional page w/the question listed at the topk, but I'd still send it in. I guarantee that there will be several people who got in w/out filling it out - but it will most likely help you more than hurt you - so why not do it? - even tho' you have to force the issue when printing it out ;)

Slickness: fyi, I didn't fill out the extra section.

btw, where is the happy hour? guess I didn't get the memo for it.

The happy hour gathering is at Brasserie Perrier at 6pm on the 2nd. (Can't recall the address - think it's around Walnut and 17th ish) I haven't seen any emails about it - but a postcard came in the mail on Thurs w/info about that gathering and the picnic on the 3rd. It also said that more info will be forthcoming to both the email addy from the amcas app and the new Jeff addy. I'll double-check the address for the restaurant and post it some time tomorrow...:D

Sorry to be a nuisance, but could somebody answer my question above? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by PrincessCKNY
Is that for people that had loans during their undergrad?

I think you're asking, is the deferment the same for undergrad vs. med school loans?

Yes. Federal Perkins and Stafford loans generally have the same rules regardless of if they were purchased during undergrad or graduate/professional school, I think. However, I don't think that the six-month deferment period for a Stafford loan is renewable. That is, for the lifetime of the loan, the holder only has six months of deferment. Whereas the Perkins loan has an original 9 month deferment, then if you use it up, enroll in school again and quit, you'll have a six month deferment (not sure though). I forget if Jeff loans have a deferment period.

The online loan entrance interview session tells more information about this.

ok - here's the info for the 1st two social events for those who haven't received the postcard...

Sat, Aug 2 - hors d'oevres at Brassier Perrier, 1619 Walnut St, 6pm - an event designed specifically fro students living off-campus - rsvp mary.bove@ or [email protected]

Sun, Aug 3 - tour de Philly - 4pm - Scott plaza
orientation kick-off picnic - 6pm - Scott plaza
brief tour of essentials at Jeff incl. supermarkets, gym, bookstore, etc followed by a picnic w/your classmates

see y'all soon! Safe journeys to those on there way here....

yay! made it into Philly this morning. I bought the ethernet card at the bookstore, and made an appt to have it configured. (so i'm typing in the library now).

Heh, on the plane I met an ms1 going to U of Florida, told him to say hi to Dra. Foxy. I only got maybe 3 hrs sleep.

We get to move in at 3:00...count me in on the happy hour on sat., it sounds classy.

btw here is a cool pdf with photos of class of 2006!

http://www.tju.edu/jmc/classphotos/jmc2006.pdf

i think the links are only accessible from Jeff computers.