in case anyone cares... USNEWS rankings are here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Ronin
Mattie, why did you put UMich as #9 and Stanfuuuuurd as #8?
I think they are tied.

that is how the magazine listed them. despite the two ties in the top ten (washu and hopkins, umich and stanford), there are still only ten schools in the top ten. otherwise there would have been twelve schools in the top ten; does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Jalby
Another things that surprises me is University of Chicago. They were number 11 like 3-4 years ago.

I am telling you. Wack got accepted to Pritzker and the rankings dropped. Every school Wack got accepted to dropped in the rankings, except Emory they must have done some serious fundraising to counterbalance accepting me. Some how the US News people can tell when I get accepted to a school and as soon as I do they lower the ranking.

Does anyone know if the rankings take into account state funding? Or is it just NIH dollars?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bujji13
Does anyone know if the rankings take into account state funding? Or is it just NIH dollars?

State/private funding is not accounted for, only NIH dollars are included.

Originally posted by MacGyver
I agree. Harvard is the undisputed champ there. The past few years over 70% of those whom they accepted decided to go there. All the other schools were hovering around 50% or so.

I recall the exact figure being 66% (at least for 2000-2001), maybe I'm wrong though...

Harvard boosted its NIH research dollars from 730 million last year to almost a billion this year.

Thats insane, the Harvard increase of over 200 million in one year beats out most school's total NIH funding!

...that's because Harvard's figures are bogus.

Whenever Harvard signs a contract with a hospital, or if an institution becomes "Harvard-affiliated," they include that institution's funding in the total. Harvard's total includes funding from over 20 such institutions.

Using Harvard's logic, most of the New York schools should be adding all of their NIH dollars together, since they have so many hospitals that are cross-affiliated. They'd instantly outrank everyone else.

Hopkins, on the other hand, only discloses funding for the main hospital and it's research center at Bayview. In truth, most authorities (including the NIH) cite Hopkins as the single most-funded entity.

Cheers,
doepug

I think Hopkins needs to account for all the security funding necessary for the students to survive in Baltimore and to protect their stuff from competitive classmates... It should be number 1.

I thought Sinai was #22 last year, why the big 7 spots drop? Is this a bad omen? What happened, lower NIH funding; what caused this drop?

Also, why did UChicago-Pritzker and Einstein drop?

I can relate to wack, as soon as I have hope of getting in, the ranking of the school drops, LOL!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by carrigallen
I recall the exact figure being 66% (at least for 2000-2001), maybe I'm wrong though...

schoolname yield usnews rank
uwashington 75.7% 11
indianau 74.9% 39
unorthcarolina 71.4% 23
ualabama 70.3% 25
harvard 67.1% 1
uwisconsin 63.2% 30
ucolorado 60.0% 33
ucsf 59.5% 6
baylor 56.9% 12
upenn 56.9% 5
oregon 56.1% 32
uminnesota 55.9% 38
boston 54.4% 40
usc 53.7% 36
duke 53.2% 4
northwestern 52.9% 21
ohiostate 51.9% 37
uiowa 51.8% 26
columbia 51.4% 7
ucla 51.1% 14
utsouthwestern 50.6% 17
mayo 47.2% 20
umichigan 47.0% 9
jhu 46.2% 2
uvirginia 45.8% 27
cornell 45.7% 13
yale 45.7% 10
stanford 44.1% 8
ucsd 41.4% 16
uchicago 40.5% 22
MSSM 40.0% 29
washustlouis 39.6% 3
vanderbilt 37.1% 15
emory 36.5% 19
casewesternreserve 36.4% 24
urochester 36.2% 31
upittsburgh 35.0% 18
einstein 34.4% 34
nyu 34.0% 28
dartmouth 31.0% 35

Washington residents are the big winners...average matriculants getting a chance to go to one of the top medical schools in the country for in-state tuition.

Does your US News magazine list the breakdown for 2004 internal medicine residency programs? Please list if you can.
Thanks!

I think those public health stats are only updated every 3 years.

I'm sure U of M would stayed tied for #7 had I not decided to stick around. Sorry U of M SPH - just gotta live with #10.

Originally posted by Adcadet
I think those public health stats are only updated every 3 years.

I'm sure U of M would stayed tied for #7 had I not decided to stick around. Sorry U of M SPH - just gotta live with #10.

True but why does this matter? the most recent rankings of public health rankings was done this year so its completely up to date.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/hea/premium/pub.php

True but why does this matter? the most recent rankings of public health rankings was done this year so its completely up to date.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/hea/premium/pub.php

it only matters because at first I was wondering how MN fell 3 spots in a year - afterall, there aren't many SPH's around, and even fewer accredited schools - 32 by my count, see www.asph.org...and then I realized it was probably 3 spots in 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
here's a general excel tip that i read on sdn a long time ago (forgot the link):

if u ever want to import a table that's been messed up cuz of html,paste the contents into excel, seperate the text from the rest of the data via cut/paste, and use the DATA-->TEXT TO COLUMNS function w/ the DELIMITED OPTION/SPACE box checked, to generate individual columns for each value.

YAY! U of MD is up to 22!! good for me! :clap:

So I guess according to these lists that picking UW over GW, OHSU, and UArizona is a bit of a no-brainer. Wasn't too sure on that, but hey, you guys are helping me make my choice.

THX:D

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
bump

this is the current list for research schools, not the new one coming out in a month or two. so why the bump?

Originally posted by Newquagmire
this is the current list for research schools, not the new one coming out in a month or two. so why the bump?

quite a few people have been talking about rank of schools and such so i figured i'd bump this thread. the moderators shoulld probably chcange the title toe "2003" rankings or somehting.

Okay, so this clearly displays my ignorance of thread writing lingo, but what does "bump" mean?

"bump" means that although you don't add significant information yourself, you add a post which serves to keep the thread alive by raising it to the top of the forum and also increases the importance/significance of a thread by increasing the number of posts.

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
quite a few people have been talking about rank of schools and such so i figured i'd bump this thread. the moderators shoulld probably chcange the title toe "2003" rankings or somehting.

And fix your keyboard while they are at it.

Originally posted by doepug
...that's because Harvard's figures are bogus.

Whenever Harvard signs a contract with a hospital, or if an institution becomes "Harvard-affiliated," they include that institution's funding in the total. Harvard's total includes funding from over 20 such institutions.

Using Harvard's logic, most of the New York schools should be adding all of their NIH dollars together, since they have so many hospitals that are cross-affiliated. They'd instantly outrank everyone else.

Hopkins, on the other hand, only discloses funding for the main hospital and it's research center at Bayview. In truth, most authorities (including the NIH) cite Hopkins as the single most-funded entity.

Cheers,
doepug

I'm not sure that this is a fair criticism. I don't think it is coincidental that most of Harvard's big money affiliates are within walking distance of the Medical School. MGH is the major exception but if you add up the NIH funding of all of the affiliates that are within the immediate vicinity of the medical school, you get a figure which is around 745 million dollars per year. These include places such as BWH, BID, DF, Joslin, Children's Hospital, etc.... Also most of the physicians at places like BWH and MGH are also faculty members at the school of medicine.

It strikes me that these centers have a symbiotic relationship with HMS, by which they use Harvard's name to get more funding while HMS gets infrastructure to provide its students and faculty with additional opportunities for research. They have some sort of arrangement called Partners Healthcare or something. Maybe some Harvard students or Bostonians could shed more light on the history of this relationship.

As for individual hospitals, I doubt anyone would question the fact that Hopkins Hospital is the most funded hospital in the country. For research or clinical care, JHH, is the best in the country, IMHO.

Originally posted by Jalby
And fix your keyboard while they are at it.

Haha, that's a good one. I'm going use that next time I see some horrendously typed post.

You would think that on THIS forum, you wouldn't see many typos. Granted, I see less, but it's still quite prevalent. I guess many just don't care (or maybe they do but don't realize it?).

:confused: