2009-2010 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are you serious? What about the gas used? At least 3-4 tanks in return trip? Comes to about $150 + the hotel fare + car rental fees + driving for that long and sleep deprivation? I dont know if its worth it.

Yeah, the gas was around 150. Considering an airport shuttle to Rosalind Franklin was around 45 each way, I felt it was more than justified lol. I crashed with a friend in Windsor to split the drive up. Stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Chicago on Saturday night (50 bucks on priceline!), got some italian beef sandwiches and chicago hot dogs, walked around Milennium park, went up the Willis/Sears Tower. Caught a Bears game before driving up to the hotel in Waukegan the next night (stayed in Waukegan Sunday night) and powered straight home from Waukegan to Toronto on the drive back. Overall, an awesome weekend and it made me choose Rosalind over Wayne State...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, the gas was around 150. Considering a cab from the airport to Rosalind Franklin was around 40 each way, I felt it was more than justified lol. I crashed with a friend in Windsor to split the drive up. Stayed the night before at the Hyatt in downtown Chicago, got me some italian beef sandwiches and chicago hot dogs. Caught a Bears game before driving up to the hotel in Waukegan the next night and powered straight home from Waukegan to Toronto on the drive back. Overall, an awesome weekend and it made me choose Rosalind over Wayne State...

Wow, you really did have a great time!

What's the likelihood of my getting an interview at this point in the season?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, which shuttle is this? Is it mentioned in the trip planner @ http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN/Portals/18/documents/admissions/InterviewTravelPlanner.pdf ?

Thank you.

Metra seems to be the cheapest way but my friend is telling me that it only runs at peak hours and if you miss one station, youll get lost ...

edit: OK found the shuttle info, its called Airport Express. Apparently it takes to Days Inn Great Lakes in North Chicago.

Hey, when is your interview?

No...not that I'm aware of anyways. I was complete in January. Should I have heard about that by now?

The small-pool is the first step to get an interview invitation, although several people said they were invited straight up after being complete. I think that small-pooling and interview invitations are still going on, so don't be discouraged. Have you called them to inquire about where you are in the application process?

The small-pool is the first step to get an interview invitation, although several people said they were invited straight up after being complete. I think that small-pooling and interview invitations are still going on, so don't be discouraged. Have you called them to inquire about where you are in the application process?

Ah no, not yet. I have sent a letter of update though, with no response. Calling probably isn't a bad idea at this point. :oops:

they don't accept pre-interview updates.

Thanks. Kind of wish I knew that earlier...but I suppose better late than never.

So they don't consider anything that happened after the application was received (grades, research-related achievements, etc.)?

Thanks. Kind of wish I knew that earlier...but I suppose better late than never.

So they don't consider anything that happened after the application was received (grades, research-related achievements, etc.)?

not until after you interview. they may take it into consideration then but not before

hey guys,

how did you specifically prepare for the question Why CMS? I mean I've looked at the site but there is not much information there which makes CMS unique .... any pointers?

Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

how did you specifically prepare for the question Why CMS? I mean I've looked at the site but there is not much information there which makes CMS unique .... any pointers?

Regards

I basically said some things about myself in terms of what I am looking for in a medical school and how CMS fit in. For instance: "I am a team player....CMS works great for me because of the interprofessional education where there is institutionalized interaction with other health professions students."
I like variety and love to learn about the world, how people interact, etc...CMS works great because the school is not tied to a particular teaching hospital...I'll get to learn from a variety of doctors in varied hospital settings....etc.

I basically said some things about myself in terms of what I am looking for in a medical school and how CMS fit in. For instance: "I am a team player....CMS works great for me because of the interprofessional education where there is institutionalized interaction with other health professions students."
I like variety and love to learn about the world, how people interact, etc...CMS works great because the school is not tied to a particular teaching hospital...I'll get to learn from a variety of doctors in varied hospital settings....etc.

interesting.

Keep em coming guys. :)

hey guys,

Regards

-out of chicago but still have access to the city and it's benefits.
-baller anatomy labs.
-lots of options in the cafeteria
-it's a medical school and you'll get an MD if you graduate

haha:smuggrin:

CMS and Wayne are probably the two most Canadian friendly schools. With that said, that's compared to single digit acceptance numbers at other major schools.

I approached the why CMS as more of a broad 'why america at all?' type question. You don't want to pigeonhole yourself and say all these things about CMS that are really restrictive because unlike Canada, American schools (and your interviewers) can see all the other schools you applied to. I said that I want to go to CMS because of the great things I heard about the anatomy labs but also because of the possibilities for specialties that you can't find in Canada. It just opens up a lot more doors compared to a Canadian medical school and the city of Chicago is such an amazing place despite its football team.

American schools (and your interviewers) can see all the other schools you applied to.

not until late late in the game (march ish?) and only after they've already accepted you can they see where else you've been accepted (so if you apply to 30 schools and get accepted at 2. the only schools that can see anything are the 2 you've been accepted to and they can only see each other's names not the other 28)

I was small pooled in January. Canadian applicant. Haven't heard anything since.

Odds of getting an interview at this point??

I was small pooled in January. Canadian applicant. Haven't heard anything since.

Odds of getting an interview at this point??

We're in the same boat. Took me 4 months to make the small pool, even.

not until late late in the game (march ish?) and only after they've already accepted you can they see where else you've been accepted (so if you apply to 30 schools and get accepted at 2. the only schools that can see anything are the 2 you've been accepted to and they can only see each other's names not the other 28)

Do you know if schools that accepted you can see whether you have accepted/declined offers from those schools that have accepted you?

Really? I could have swore that my interviewers had the AMCAS printout of my primary and on the last page of that primary is a list of all the schools I applied to. My mistake!

Does anyone know what the last interview date is this month (March)?

Just wondering if anyone out there who interviewed in March has heard anything?? I interviewed on March 1 and so far have heard nothing! I find it odd that they havnt met in March at all.... or at least from looking at this thread thats how it appears. Anyone got any info?

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone out there who interviewed in March has heard anything?? I interviewed on March 1 and so far have heard nothing! I find it odd that they havnt met in March at all.... or at least from looking at this thread thats how it appears. Anyone got any info?

Thanks

Yeah, I've wondered abt that too. It seems that they wait for all the interviews to be done in a particular month before they meet. I may be wrong though, but we should all hear something by the 2nd week of April.

Hello,

I surprisingly just received an interview invite here on Friday even though I thought I had pretty much been silent rejected. Does anyone happen to know if there are seats left or if I'm just interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Thanks!

Hello,

I surprisingly just received an interview invite here on Friday even though I thought I had pretty much been silent rejected. Does anyone happen to know if there are seats left or if I'm just interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Thanks!
Were you small pooled first? if so when? And i got small pooled a couple of weeks ago and have no idea whats going on with seats, sorry

Hey, Does anyone know if they offer any scholarships?

Hey, Does anyone know if they offer any scholarships?

The impression I got was that there aren't a lot of scholarships from the school and your better off looking for private ones. Then again I also thought the fin aid lady who talked to us was less than knowledgable or helpful compared to other schools fin aid people

Thanks

i interviewed march 8th and just got an email acceptance

Interviewed 3/15. Acceptance email today as well.

Why do I always end up sending a letter of update the DAY the admissions guys review apps!!!! I sent it today at 11 AM. I'm sure they didn't see it, and considering 2 people got acceptances and no people (so far) have posted holds... I guess I'm expecting ANOTHER hold tomorrow....

This is getting really frusterating.

same situation here... didn't hear anything.

it was a good idea nonetheless to send it considering there will likely be another meeting relatively soon. Best of luck.

some schools are offering a good amount of student loan forgiveness or payoff for some of the enormous debt med students have upon graduation to medical students who go into primary care. atleast that is what i have heard. does anyone know if Rosalind Franklin does this?

some schools are offering a good amount of student loan forgiveness or payoff for some of the enormous debt med students have upon graduation to medical students who go into primary care. atleast that is what i have heard. does anyone know if Rosalind Franklin does this?

it's usually not the schools that do this. It is the hospital you do residency in or other (usually gov) programs. If you've got student loans, it's not the school you owe money to. It's the gov. so the school can forgive you all they want, but you still have money to be paid back

Is there still a chance for an interview invite?

March 31?

it's usually not the schools that do this. It is the hospital you do residency in or other (usually gov) programs. If you've got student loans, it's not the school you owe money to. It's the gov. so the school can forgive you all they want, but you still have money to be paid back

yes, my mistake. is it pretty popular to get this anywhere i went or would i have to go to a odd place like a rural town. i'm interested in practicing in wisconsin or illinois but in a decent size city (probably nothing smaller than 50,000 people).

Anybody else heard anything?????????

Why do I always end up sending a letter of update the DAY the admissions guys review apps!!!! I sent it today at 11 AM. I'm sure they didn't see it, and considering 2 people got acceptances and no people (so far) have posted holds... I guess I'm expecting ANOTHER hold tomorrow....

This is getting really frusterating.

Oh! I thought they email holds and acceptances the same day. Since I did not hear anything today, I was getting a bit concerned. You've renewed my hope. Let's see what tomorrow brings....Yay for acceptances!

yes, my mistake. is it pretty popular to get this anywhere i went or would i have to go to a odd place like a rural town. i'm interested in practicing in wisconsin or illinois but in a decent size city (probably nothing smaller than 50,000 people).

the primary care incentive is to get primary care doc into rural areas. There are usually enough docs in other areas with higher populations. You usually have to agree to work in a rural/underserved area for X-number of years depending on how much money they're paying off for you.
If you agree to the program and later decide you'd rather go somewhere else, you have to pay them back and the repayment is usually 1.5+ times your original debt (this encourages people not to say yes and bail later)

Were you small pooled first? if so when? And i got small pooled a couple of weeks ago and have no idea whats going on with seats, sorry

I was small pooled way back at the end of November. I really thought that they forgot about me...

Status
Not open for further replies.