2010-2011 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to this discussion--I sent in a one page letter with a basic format (thank you, high school English!)

intro (stating 3 reasons why I <3 UVM)

expand upon reason 1

expand upon reason 2

expand upon reason 3

conclusion ("no, seriously, I love you guys")

I was accepted a few weeks later!

Of course, the same formula can be used for an additional update letter--one or two of your paragraphs just might be "this is why I continue to be awesome and a great fit for your school". You just can't go wrong with the 5 paragraph essay.

I think they also like it when people have clearly done their homework and come up with very specific reasons why they like UVM. So not just "because you have sweet research clinics" but "the X research clinic appeals to me because of my background in Y and my interest in Z."

I'd say a page is probably good (mine was 1 page, 1.5 spaced). Anything more than that might get lengthy to read.

Hope that is helpful!

couldn't agree more! all the best guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Passing is 70% or better right?
And by honors you mean top 10% of the class? or a 90% or better on exams?

passing is 70%, although between 70-75 is a 'marginal pass' which won't appear on any transcript but if you 'marginally pass' too many courses then it's my understanding that you could get into trouble with the Advancement Committee (you might be asked to repeat the year :().

honors in a preclinical curriculum course would be a 93%, unless that would include less than 10% of the class, in which case it's the top 10%.

passing is 70%, although between 70-75 is a 'marginal pass' which won't appear on any transcript but if you 'marginally pass' too many courses then it's my understanding that you could get into trouble with the Advancement Committee (you might be asked to repeat the year :().

honors in a preclinical curriculum course would be a 93%, unless that would include less than 10% of the class, in which case it's the top 10%.

I Appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear anything recently? I've been on the OOA waitlist since December or so? 2 letters later and still silence :(

They are interviewing through the end of April so there will probably be movement then.

Just withdrew my interview spot for 4/4, so if ur around there maybe you could call and try to snag it

Accepted!!! OOS Interviewed in mid October and WL'd shortly thereafter. :)

is it really the case that I won't get off the OOS WL unless I write a loi?

I don't think that that is necessarily the rule, but I *do* know of 2 cases where people were accepted merely hours after the school received a letter of interest (not intent). This leads me to believe that the acceptance and the letter were related.

I don't think it is required, but from talking to students on interview day, many of the people on the wait-list who got in wrote letters of interest. It seems like the committee wants to admit students who really want to be there. So it can only help your chances, my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)

Although, I have been writing LOI's since my WL in Jan and still have not heard anything...so its not a guarantee by any means...

Congrats on the recent acceptances...I wonder how many spots have been filled...

So from looking at the website it seems there is a Re-visit day on May 7th for all accepted students. I guess we can assume that all of the initial acceptances will be sent out by the end of April? (and that if we are still WL we are traditional WL) So the movement everyone is talking about after May 15th would only be if people rejected the spots...not the big out of state group...

The end of April is approaching! :p

Congrats on the recent acceptances...I wonder how many spots have been filled...

During my interview last Thursday, the admissions lady told me that there were a few spots left... I should have made her pin down a number, but the way she made it sound, there might be like 10 or less acceptances left (without people having to drop their current acceptances and open spots off the waitlist). But I could be way off! I mean, with a class their size, they should be accepting like 200 people or so. But it really doesn't seem like they accept a lot from each interview group...

Hey guys, does anyone have any recommendations of where to stay? Did you rent a car or took the shuttle?
Thank you!!

During my interview last Thursday, the admissions lady told me that there were a few spots left... I should have made her pin down a number, but the way she made it sound, there might be like 10 or less acceptances left (without people having to drop their current acceptances and open spots off the waitlist). But I could be way off! I mean, with a class their size, they should be accepting like 200 people or so. But it really doesn't seem like they accept a lot from each interview group...

Hey!!!! I was in your group!!
I was the girl who sat right to your left in the meeting room!! I loved this school soooooo much!!! By far my favorite!!

So funny though that there was not a single Vermonter there haha

the Holiday Inn is GREAT. ~1 mile from the school, they have a shuttle to pick you up from the airport, as well as a shuttle to the hospital. The hospital is literally across the street from the medical school building, right in the same roundabout thing.

the Holiday Inn is GREAT. ~1 mile from the school, they have a shuttle to pick you up from the airport, as well as a shuttle to the hospital. The hospital is literally across the street from the medical school building, right in the same roundabout thing.

I stayed here too. The driver dropped me off right at the school, and then picked me up to go to the airport.

I recommend seeing if you can stay with a student. I did it and was very happy that I did. They gave me a lot of info on the school and really helped to solidify my interest in it.

I stayed at the Hilton right on the water. Amazing view. Also there was a shuttle to the school.

student host is great.

on the other note, anyone know the dates for orientation this year?

Just got a significant scholarship offer from Vermont! I think they just sealed the deal with me! This school is Amazing!

mine was up but it's all loans. Not a big surprise...it's just slightly shocking to see that number and multiply it by 4. :eek:

I can't seem to log in. Is it social security number and then date of birth? how is the date of birth formatted?

Well, today is the day when the adcom meets! They are supposed to be meeting today and Thursday... My interview was 2 weeks ago... I am a bit nervous, and I was hoping that we could maybe find out something by Friday. However, looking back at last month and the month before, it took them at least a week between when they met and when they changed applicant statuses online. That sucks… And the waiting continues… :scared:

I can't seem to log in. Is it social security number and then date of birth? how is the date of birth formatted?

You can also set up your own login and password and then sign in with that info. That's what I did so I can't give advice on how the date is formatted.

Well, today is the day when the adcom meets! They are supposed to be meeting today and Thursday... My interview was 2 weeks ago... I am a bit nervous, and I was hoping that we could maybe find out something by Friday. However, looking back at last month and the month before, it took them at least a week between when they met and when they changed applicant statuses online. That sucks… And the waiting continues… :scared:

Right here with you on that one! Oh well, as an OOSer I know an outright acceptance is out of the question anyway, so while I might be rejected next week, I think it's more likely that I'll continue to wait longer after waiting through this next week haha.

It'll all work out in the end, even if that end is different than what you want it to be right now. :luck::luck:

I didn't stay at Lang House, but the student in my group who did said that they gave a super-steep discount to UVM interviewees. It sounds worthwhile to call them up and ask. It sounded lovely, and was close to campus.
I actually took the bus to and from the airport. There was a transfer at the mall, but it was only a $1.25, and I wanted to get a feel for public transit in the area. If you don't have enough time to wait for the bus post-interview, you could take a cab. Cheaper than renting a car, as long as you stay within walking distance to the school.

mine was up but it's all loans. Not a big surprise...it's just slightly shocking to see that number and multiply it by 4. :eek:

Yeah. I don't really get how this isn't overwhelming to people. Wouldn't we have double the national average debt? Not good.

Yeah. I don't really get how this isn't overwhelming to people. Wouldn't we have double the national average debt? Not good.

Maybe these daunting numbers will lead to lots of movement for those of us still on the WL ;)

Yes, but I think this is the case at many schools.

Also, I feel like the "average" is a bad number to look at because I imagine that debt does not follow a guassian. There are obviously a significant number of folks with no debt because of military or NHSC scholarships OR family paying for it. And then there are folks with partial scholarships and then there are those of us with only loans. I feel like most of the students I have spoken to across various schools will have loan debt much greater than the average.

With the mounting debt, the endless hours of studying, and the long journey ahead, the one question I ask myself is, "Is there anything else you want to do other than medicine?" My answer is always no. That's how I get through it.

Yes, but I think this is the case at many schools.
There are obviously a significant number of folks with no debt

True and true. It's still pretty scary. I haven't had a sword hanging over my head like this before.

With the mounting debt, the endless hours of studying, and the long journey ahead, the one question I ask myself is, "Is there anything else you want to do other than medicine?" My answer is always no. That's how I get through it.

Fair enough. I guess I won't have too much time to peruse the ole' investment portfolio and bank accounts (or lack thereof) with my head buried in the books.

I'm probably coming here regardless. Like you say, it's not like I could tolerate doing something else with my life.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. It's spring break right now for M1's. FYI, there will be massive WL movements usually in early May. Many of my friends got in at May so keep sending those letter of interests.

I have a question for current students who are living solely off financial aid--do you find that the amount of money UVM gives for living expenses for the year is feasible? I'm nervous because I'll have to make car payments, rent, food, etc, and the amount they aliquot toward room, board, and misc expenses seems low. Do people ever apply for other outside loans? Or can people make it work with what's given?

Thanks!

I have a question for current students who are living solely off financial aid--do you find that the amount of money UVM gives for living expenses for the year is feasible? I'm nervous because I'll have to make car payments, rent, food, etc, and the amount they aliquot toward room, board, and misc expenses seems low. Do people ever apply for other outside loans? Or can people make it work with what's given?

Thanks!

I believe the max loan is 71k. My friend said it's enough and he eats out almost everyday. The financial people advised us to put all that money in a saving account and allow the bank to automatically transfer X amount of money each month to cover rent and living expense. So in short, yes it is enough.

Thanks!

I thoroughly enjoyed this typo. Science on the brain! I'm sure you meant "allot" :) I'm picturing them handing us our housing allowance in an Eppendorf tube.

Good question though! And thank you to Legacy for answering.

Anyway, I'm getting excited for my interview here next week! I hope I have a chance at being admitted this late in the game!

Hello All ;)

I think I am interviewing on the last interview day possible..lucky me! Did anyone who interviewed get asked a question on the current state of healthcare? What kind of questions did they ask about it? Did you guys have to devise your own health-care system...LOL. I read that was on the of questions 2 years ago under the Interview Feedback section of SDN.

Also, someone was telling me that you are told who is going to interview you that morning. They also mentioned that the students with smart phones were able to google these individuals. Question: What is the benefit of doing something like that? Is it simply to know the basic 411 on them: speciality?

Thanks guys!

Hello All ;)

I think I am interviewing on the last interview day possible..lucky me! Did anyone who interviewed get asked a question on the current state of healthcare? What kind of questions did they ask about it? Did you guys have to devise your own health-care system...LOL. I read that was on the of questions 2 years ago under the Interview Feedback section of SDN.

Also, someone was telling me that you are told who is going to interview you that morning. They also mentioned that the students with smart phones were able to google these individuals. Question: What is the benefit of doing something like that? Is it simply to know the basic 411 on them: speciality?

Thanks guys!

I am posting the list of questions I went by prior to my interview&#8230; Got this off of the feedback page for interviews in the last few years, and I narrowed it down to the ones that might be difficult to answer. They did not ask me anything about healthcare or any ethical questions. All of the questions were directed at getting to know me and what I have done.

1. Why do you want to attend UVM?
2. Why do you think you deserve to attend UVM over the other applicants?
3. What does UVM stand for?
4. Give three reasons why you want to attend UVM.
5. Why do you want to move to Burlington, Vermont?
6. How do you think health care should be paid for in the US?
7. What do you think are the negatives of becoming a physician? How will you deal with these aspects as a physician?
8. What are the positives of becoming a physician?
9. What are three of the biggest problems in medicine right now?
10. Who has been the greatest influence in your life?
11. Proudest achievement outside of academics/science/clinical research/medicine?
12. Why do you want to become a doctor?
13. Tell me about a time when you had to take care of someone.
14. Describe your career before med school.
15. You're in front of the admissions committee panel. Tell us why we should take you over someone else.
16. What are your plans if you don't get into medical school?
17. What is a personality trait that sets you apart?
18. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
19. What do you think of physician assisted suicide?
20. Explain why your undergraduate GPA and MCAT are lower than normal. How can we be sure you won't fall behind?
21. Do you have any failures?
22. How would you fix healthcare?
23. Who has told you NOT to become a doctor?
24. Have you come across any ethical dilemmas during your clinical research?
25. Tell me about your research and what you have learned from it.
26. What do you like to do to relax?
27. What is your biggest accomplishment?
28. What will you do if you make a mistake as a doctor (because you will)?
29. Let's say you're in med school and you had a Saturday off to yourself after a long week, what would you do?
30. What will you bring to the school and community?
31. How have your experiences influenced your desire to pursue medicine?
32. How does the US compare with other healthcare systems you are familiar with?
33. Why don't people want universal healthcare?
34. What are some books you've read recently?
35. What would your bestfriend say about you?
36. What was your most meaningful volunteer experience?
37. What is going to be challenging about med school?
38. What are your life goals?
39. What's your life like outside of academics?
40. Are you ready for the commitment involved in a career in medicine?
41. What are some of your weaknesses and your strengths?
42. How do you deal with stress?
43. What are you most worried about when it comes to medicine?
44. What type of medicine would you like to practice?
45. How does the general public perceive physicians?
46. Say something interesting about yourself.
47. How are you going to deal with people you don't agree with? Tell me about an experience dealing with someone different than you.
48. What would you approach a difficult or uncooperative patient? Give an example of how you've handled it in your clinical experiences.
49. What are your wildest dreams?
50. How do you think you'll handle the power of being a physician?
51. What do you think a doctor should be paid?
52. What is someone you don't want to be like?
53. Give me a synopsis of your life.
54. Which class impacted you the most in grad and undergrad?

As for looking up your interviewer&#8230; Well, after several interviews this year, I realized that there are things you should know about your interviewer before you go in&#8230; One would be: MD or PhD. If it's an MD, it will be a very different interview than if you get a PhD. Then I always want to know their specialty of practice or in the case of a PhD I want to know their area of research. This was all everyone was looking up on their phone, and they really should have just listed this next to the interviewers name when they gave us the list. If they had told us these things, no one would have looked it up. All of the other interviews I went to this cycle did give us the title and specialty of each interviewer.

I thoroughly enjoyed this typo. Science on the brain! I'm sure you meant "allot" :) I'm picturing them handing us our housing allowance in an Eppendorf tube.

Good question though! And thank you to Legacy for answering.

Anyway, I'm getting excited for my interview here next week! I hope I have a chance at being admitted this late in the game!

Whoops! Yep, I'm a research coordinator. Can you tell? :)

Good luck on your interview!

And thanks for your answer, Legacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.