2010-2011 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but I think this is the case at many schools.

Also, I feel like the "average" is a bad number to look at because I imagine that debt does not follow a guassian. There are obviously a significant number of folks with no debt because of military or NHSC scholarships OR family paying for it. And then there are folks with partial scholarships and then there are those of us with only loans. I feel like most of the students I have spoken to across various schools will have loan debt much greater than the average.

I totally agree. I have three friends, one at Stanford, one at Einstein and one at Loma Linda, all have their parents pay for their education.

UVM is pretty generous though (just got my fin package), even compared to my CA schools, the need based scholarship help priced UVM for me like a private medical school. But then again, I'm on the on the super poor side of the financial aid side (my parent makes less than 10k a year).

Members don't see this ad.

So... My status changed this morning from under review by the committee to this:

“Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. We will be contacting you shortly regarding the status of your application.”

Which I am assuming means I am on the waitlist...? Should I call and see if they will tell me my status?? I'm thinking I should.

Do they email us our status? How many days usually after getting the online message do we learn of our status? I’m freaking out right now, this school is pretty much in my top two. And it might even be my top school if I get accepted soon. I love UVM! :love:

So... My status changed this morning from under review by the committee to this:

“Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. We will be contacting you shortly regarding the status of your application.”

Which I am assuming means I am on the waitlist...? Should I call and see if they will tell me my status?? I'm thinking I should.

That's the standard message you get before your ACTUAL status comes out. You probably will be waitlisted, since you're OOS, but not because of that status. I would say it's not worth calling about your status.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do they email us our status? How many days usually after getting the online message do we learn of our status? I’m freaking out right now, this school is pretty much in my top two. And it might even be my top school if I get accepted soon. I love UVM! :love:

whoa...chill. I think I got mine that day or within a few. they update it on their website

I called, they said that the site will be updated with our real status later today or by the latest on Monday afternoon. Yay! That's a quick turn around... :D Here's hoping for good news for all of us that are waiting... Though I know I may be waitlisted by the end of the day, it makes me feel better seeing this thread with so many that were pulled off the waitlist less than a week later…

whoa...chill. I think I got mine that day or within a few. they update it on their website

Haha, sorry, I am working on 2 cups of coffee today, and way more nervous than usual... ;)

Two hours later I looked online and I was waitlisted... :( Saw it coming but still painful...

Last edited:
I interviewed in late March, and was in the group reviewed this week. My status change went up today (OOS waitlist). I'm at the beginning of the alphabet. Guess that it's time to start crafting a second letter of interest.

I also just checked the status page and received an update that I am on the out -of-area waitlist. I am hoping for some movement for us OOSers. I interviewed during the first week of March. Good luck guys.

I also just checked the status page and received an update that I am on the out -of-area waitlist. I am hoping for some movement for us OOSers. I interviewed during the first week of March. Good luck guys.

Same, interviewed late March. Just withdrew my application. Good luck all!

If I send in a letter of interest/intent, do they confirm that they received it? I don't mean to sound neurotic obviously, but I'm just curious to know how we know it officially went through to them.

Is it a bad idea to call to double check?

If I send in a letter of interest/intent, do they confirm that they received it? I don't mean to sound neurotic obviously, but I'm just curious to know how we know it officially went through to them.

Is it a bad idea to call to double check?

They will send you an email confirmation. It may take a few days.

Anyone get off the OOS waitlist today?

In the past I don't believe people have heard until Sunday/Monday after the adcom review...

Although that doesn't mean I won't continue to check my email obsessively

There as been so many incidents (unhappy, family-related) I've been dealing with that I didn't even realize it was already mid-April. :ninja:

I was interviewed 3rd week of March, saw the "your application has been reviewed" message on Thursday and got waitlisted (OOS) yesterday. I guess it's the REAL waiting game from here... good luck to everyone who's waiting!! :luck:

Just a couple questions, so the wait from this point could really range from few weeks to couple months? (yikes) It seems like a lot of people who were interviewed in the past months waited a couple months to get accepted, but I wonder it will be same for us since we are at the end of the interview cycle... any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
There really isn't a way to tell. The majority of movement should be around the May 15th timeframe, but there is no way to narrow it down with any certainty one way or the other. Welcome to the wait.

haha, dude when this is all over, i dont wanna hear the words wait or list, especially not in the same sentence.

Hey guys! Just got an interview invite for April 26th!! I can't be more excited!! Anyone else in the same boat?

man, we are interviewing late this year... good news for you guys i guess!!

anyway, don't forget that even though it is a late interview, it is a real one. so many people get in off the waitlist in May that when you have your interview really doesn't matter.

for those of you who might be curious, we just wrapped up our nutrition/biochem/GI path course and are starting Neuro on Monday. we just got a new COMET coordinator starting with this course, because the one we've had since the start of school has moved on to prepping for the arrival of the '15s.... so August really is right around the corner. :woot:

Last edited:
man, we are interviewing late this year... good news for you guys i guess!!

anyway, don't forget that even though it is a late interview, it is a real one. so many people get in off the waitlist in May that when you have your interview really doesn't matter.

for those of you who might be curious, we just wrapped up our nutrition/biochem/GI path course and are starting Neuro on Monday. we just got a new COMET coordinator starting with this course, because the one we've had since the start of school has moved on to prepping for the arrival of the '15s.... so August really is right around the corner. :woot:

dude, that's awesome! i thought we were the last interview day (4/21) but power to you man! since i am 4 days away from my interview, i'm obviously in freak-out mode. for those that have gotten accepted, besides numbers and your extra curricular activities, why do you think you got accepted? what did you do in your interview, specifically, that made them like you.

if you reply with "i was just myself," can you describe what type of person you are?

thanks guys and wish me luck! for those interviewing this thursday, i look forward to meeting all of you :) BEST OF LUCK!

dude, that's awesome! i thought we were the last interview day (4/21) but power to you man! since i am 4 days away from my interview, i'm obviously in freak-out mode. for those that have gotten accepted, besides numbers and your extra curricular activities, why do you think you got accepted? what did you do in your interview, specifically, that made them like you.

if you reply with "i was just myself," can you describe what type of person you are?

thanks guys and wish me luck! for those interviewing this thursday, i look forward to meeting all of you :) BEST OF LUCK!

I was very concise and to the point. I frame my response to "why VT?" by saying that I love the VIC and that it fit my learning style -- I like to integrate things, learning normal and abnormal at the same time. While many other medical schools teach normal in year 1 and pathology in year 2, UVM teaches them in one course by sytem. And I gave my integrative example: How ischemia can lead to electron transport chain dysfunction to ATP deprivation which will ultimately lead to cell death to muscle necrosis and other systematic pathology.

My interviewer said he was impressed by my conciseness, and during orientation, the adcom's presented written comments from our interviewers and I'm pretty sure he noted what I said. Hope that helps.

On MDApplicants:

Class of 2014:

61 Interviewed
13 Accepted

Class of 2015

34 Interviewed
1 Accepted

So, assuming a random distribution, approximately five more of the interviewees from mdapplicants should be accepted!

And yes, statistical problems abound in this mini-study, but I don't care, and neither should you. It gives me some modicum of reasonable hope.:luck:

Hey all, I withdrew my app from the OOS waitlist today. It was the hardest decision I've had to make all year. However, due to family reasons I will be sticking around in my home state for school. I wish you all the best of luck and thanks again for all of the info and positivity throughout the year!

On MDApplicants:

Class of 2014:

61 Interviewed
13 Accepted

Class of 2015

34 Interviewed
1 Accepted

So, assuming a random distribution, approximately five more of the interviewees from mdapplicants should be accepted!

And yes, statistical problems abound in this mini-study, but I don't care, and neither should you. It gives me some modicum of reasonable hope.:luck:

I think 100 people just signed up at MDapplicants.

So do any OOSers actually get rejected post interview, or with any frequency?

Is the OOS wait list a good place to be or just another "small pool" with no real comment on your chances?

Also, did anyone else who was recently placed on the OOS wait list NOT get an email indicating a status change?

So do any OOSers actually get rejected post interview, or with any frequency?

Is the OOS wait list a good place to be or just another "small pool" with no real comment on your chances?

Also, did anyone else who was recently placed on the OOS wait list NOT get an email indicating a status change?

I don't think many get rejected post-interview although some do (from past years threads I've seen).

Also, no one gets notified by email of status change to waitlist. People just check the online portal.

I don't think many get rejected post-interview although some do (from past years threads I've seen).

Also, no one gets notified by email of status change to waitlist. People just check the online portal.

I think the CIA and KGB are more transparent about their tactics than UVM is about thei waitlist policy ;-)

I just got an acceptance today! I was put on the OOS waitlist on Thursday, without knowing that at the time, I wrote them a second sincere letter of interest. I received notice this morning of their receipt of my letter, and about 4 hours later I was accepted. Persistence does seem to help. Good luck to the rest of you!:)

Interviewed March 24th, placed on the OOS waitlist on Saturday, and ACCEPTED yesterday. There is finally an end to the great waitlist inferno! I can't wait to wreck myself skiing at Jay Peak.

Interviewed March 24th, placed on the OOS waitlist on Saturday, and ACCEPTED yesterday. There is finally an end to the great waitlist inferno! I can't wait to wreck myself skiing at Jay Peak.

Did you send in a letter of interest before being accepted, or did they just randomly accept you soon after being waitlisted?

Did you send in a letter of interest before being accepted, or did they just randomly accept you soon after being waitlisted?

I sent a letter of interest about 2 weeks after my interview, but that was before I was waitlisted. I was planning to send another letter this week post-decision...

Congratulations to those that have been accepted!!!

I just hope mine comes soon too... :whistle:

Hey guys,

Does anybody know how/when they tend to pull people off the waitlist? Are they continuously reviewing applications so that the people on the waitlist could hear any day of the week? Or, is there a set time frame (such as the first few days after a adcom meeting)? I've seen acceptances on this thread from almost every week day (Monday-Friday) and at random times of the day. I even saw an acceptance sent out at 11 pm a few pages back.

Is there some method to this madness?? :scared:... Anybody with knowledge on the subject, please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Um, what? I don't get it.

I think they are saying that there is no pattern on MDapps because a random 100 people signed up and made a profile... Their admission rates are not necessarily a good representation of what is happening with the admissions process.

I think they are saying that there is no pattern on MDapps because a random 100 people signed up and made a profile... Their admission rates are not necessarily a good representation of what is happening with the admissions process.

As I said, statistical problems abound, but the sample is made up of people who interviewed. Having no information other than that, the best assumption we can make, based on this data, is that more people who are on mdapps will ultimately be accepted.

As I said, statistical problems abound, but the sample is made up of people who interviewed. Having no information other than that, the best assumption we can make, based on this data, is that more people who are on mdapps will ultimately be accepted.

Right, mdapps and SDN are probably our best sample pool we have available.

Oh, I totally agree... It's all we have...

Hey, does anyone have information about in-state applicants? I am on the in-state waitlist and I am just wondering if they have filled all the in-state slots yet! Or if any in-staters are planning on not attending UVM? Thanks!

Um, what? I don't get it.

oh never mind, it was a stupid comment. I was just saying that after people read that post they probably would join MDapplicants to be one of those people from the site who statistically gets accepted. Therefore the statistics would no longer hold true. Anyway, not important, sorry.

btw, just interviewed here, and I now love this school even more than I did before! Hopefully they loved me, too! :xf:

oh never mind, it was a stupid comment. I was just saying that after people read that post they probably would join MDapplicants to be one of those people from the site who statistically gets accepted. Therefore the statistics would no longer hold true. Anyway, not important, sorry.

btw, just interviewed here, and I now love this school even more than I did before! Hopefully they loved me, too! :xf:

Interestingly enough, if my post did motivate some people who were interviewed to join mdapps, the statistics would still be feasible as long as I didn't KNOW that they joined mdapps because of me.

In fact, it would probably only give me greater odds of being right considering the number of people UVM waitlists.

Interestingly enough, if my post did motivate some people who were interviewed to join mdapps, the statistics would still be feasible as long as I didn't KNOW that they joined mdapps because of me.

In fact, it would probably only give me greater odds of being right considering the number of people UVM waitlists.

Statistics only matter when you pay attention to them.

this wait is terrible. anyone agree? =_=

wholeheartedly!

Every time I get an email, I jump. Which is especially bad because I get like 100 emails a day for work, and they come to the same email address I used for med schools...

Here's hoping May 15th is a generous day for all of us!

icon1.png

"this wait is terrible. anyone agree? =_="

Oh most definitely! It hurt me in ways too deep to mention on this site last year, and this year too. I feel like a puppet controlled by a puppeteer with this process. I am glad to finally be off Vermont's wait list, and in answer to the earlier question "Congrats! plan to attend?"

How can I give up such an opportunity. It is a great school and the first acceptance I received in 3 years. Still there is 1 school that I may pick preferentially due to personal reasons if I get off the wait list. I am crossing my fingers, but ecstatic to be starting school in August.

i just interviewed at this school yesterday and can i say that this place is one of the best schools i have yet to see. it is definitely my number one choice. i spoke with Shona and she said the next committee meeting is May 3rd and that they should have some type of decision for us made by then.

good luck to everyone who has interviewed, wait-listed, or is going to interview next tuesday!

question: does anybody know how many spots they filled so far? they have 114 spots in their class, so does that mean they only offer 114 people admission before May 15? those that don't accept get bumped off and WL people come on? is that how it works?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.