2023-2024 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know when baylor requires applicants to officially CTE? can't seem to find that info anywhere, and the portal just says that we're required to accept the admission offer by april 30th.

mainly wondering when i have to CTE by since it'll automatically withdraw me from waitlists

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, for everyone on the WL: there has recently been decent movement into and out of the GroupMe - not saying that's indicative of withdrawals/waitlist acceptances, but perhaps? I also know of at least 2-3 students who are holding Houston campus offers who plan to withdraw (if they haven't already).

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
FWIW, for everyone on the WL: there has recently been decent movement into and out of the GroupMe - not saying that's indicative of withdrawals/waitlist acceptances, but perhaps? I also know of at least 2-3 students who are holding Houston campus offers who plan to withdraw (if they haven't already).
Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Well according to their amcas wl procedures they dont start WL movement till April 30 so I hope there hasn't been WL movement yet

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard anything so far...

OOS A phone call!! Houston campus!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I sincerely wonder why they waited so long to hand out the rest of their OOS A's. On top of that, they waited until after the PTE CTE traffic deadline. To be totally honest, at one point, I had literally sent an LOI to Baylor because I thought that it was the best place in the US for my spouse (and an excellent school for me). This was about a month before the first OOS A acceptance wave. Once I got passed up, I lost hope and thought that I was destined for WL/R despite it being my strongest interview performance of the whole cycle.

Fast forward a few months, my wife and I fall in love with another (cheaper) school and another city (she has secured a fantastic job there), so around 4/15, I don't even want to hear Baylor's answer and adhere to my LOI, and I withdraw. (Note for future applicants: think very deeply before sending an LOI). But I feel like they are genuinely shooting themselves in the foot with regard to recruiting OOS talent.

My theory is that their first (and only) OOS A wave is for the stellar applicants that they want there regardless. This latest OOS A wave was done after the PTE CTE deadline because they wanted to see what in-state talent they lost and fill the demographic holes with OOS students (similar to NYU's unranked waitlist - replacing a research-heavy low SES URM with another research-heavy low SES URM). That's the only explanation that makes sense for waiting so long at such a high cost towards recruiting OOS talent. Thoughts?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I sincerely wonder why they waited so long to hand out the rest of their OOS A's. On top of that, they waited until after the PTE CTE traffic deadline. To be totally honest, at one point, I had literally sent an LOI to Baylor because I thought that it was the best place in the US for my spouse (and an excellent school for me). This was about a month before the first OOS A acceptance wave. Once I got passed up, I lost hope and thought that I was destined for WL/R despite it being my strongest interview performance of the whole cycle.

Fast forward a few months, my wife and I fall in love with another (cheaper) school and another city (she has secured a fantastic job there), so around 4/15, I don't even want to hear Baylor's answer and adhere to my LOI, and I withdraw. (Note for future applicants: think very deeply before sending an LOI). But I feel like they are genuinely shooting themselves in the foot with regard to recruiting OOS talent.

My theory is that their first (and only) OOS A wave is for the stellar applicants that they want there regardless. This latest OOS A wave was done after the PTE CTE deadline because they wanted to see what in-state talent they lost and fill the demographic holes with OOS students (similar to NYU's unranked waitlist - replacing a research-heavy low SES URM with another research-heavy low SES URM). That's the only explanation that makes sense for waiting so long at such a high cost towards recruiting OOS talent. Thoughts?
Well idt they can replace IS with OOS bc of the 90% rule
I just assume a lot of other OOS people got their As but withdrew bc they got into better schools and so this wave was replacing those OOS students who withdrew
One of the OOS students in my social said he got in in December so I don’t think this was the only OOS A wave

Last edited:
Well idt they can replace IS with OOS bc of the 90% rule
I just assume a lot of other OOS people got their As but withdrew bc they got into better schools and so this wave was replacing those OOS students who withdrew
One of the OOS students in my social said he got in in December so I don’t think this was the only OOS A wave
Baylor doesn't follow the 90% rule. AFAIK, Baylor has a little more leeway for the rule because they are a private school with agreements for medical education with the State of Texas. I heard it is somewhere around 75% ish. Also, Baylor has reserved seats for Rice/Baylor (until the program is discontinued fully), Baylor2Baylor, JAMP, DeBakey High School/Baylor, St. Mary's/Baylor, and Xavier University/Baylor.

I hope the IS WL moves next week.

What do you plan on doing with both? Ive always been interested in the program but didnt know the benefit besides doing health ligation
Well, I have always kind of been interested in law (I am a history major). I have always wanted to explore the interactions between medicine and law. My experiences have shown me how vital law is to medicine and medicine to law. Baylor/UH's program is unique in that it focuses more on the MD side, but implements the JD side to complement. Other schools focus on the JD first and foremost and utilize the MD side to complement health law (part of the reason I wasn't super satisfied with TTU's MD/JD program). I would be primarily be focused on practicing as a doctor, but I would want to use the JD to advocate for patients beyond just their physical well-being, interact/engage with medical malpractice, and most importantly become a hospital administrator of a major medical system. I would say the ultimate goal is to practice as a doctor and eventually climb the ladder so to speak, as a hospital administrator. The ultimate, ultimate goal would be to get an MD, JD, MBA and be a high-ranking administrator at a hospital system (like UTMB).

Most likely, if I can't do Baylor's MD/JD. Then I will focus fully on getting into my desired specialty, practice for a few years post residency, then go back to law school part time (UH offers a 4 year part time JD program). Later on, I would probably go for an MBA at a renowned institution.

But, plans can change so who knows.

Well, I have always kind of been interested in law (I am a history major). I have always wanted to explore the interactions between medicine and law. My experiences have shown me how vital law is to medicine and medicine to law. Baylor/UH's program is unique in that it focuses more on the MD side, but implements the JD side to complement. Other schools focus on the JD first and foremost and utilize the MD side to complement health law (part of the reason I wasn't super satisfied with TTU's MD/JD program). I would be primarily be focused on practicing as a doctor, but I would want to use the JD to advocate for patients beyond just their physical well-being, interact/engage with medical malpractice, and most importantly become a hospital administrator of a major medical system. I would say the ultimate goal is to practice as a doctor and eventually climb the ladder so to speak, as a hospital administrator. The ultimate, ultimate goal would be to get an MD, JD, MBA and be a high-ranking administrator at a hospital system (like UTMB).

Most likely, if I can't do Baylor's MD/JD. Then I will focus fully on getting into my desired specialty, practice for a few years post residency, then go back to law school part time (UH offers a 4 year part time JD program). Later on, I would probably go for an MBA at a renowned institution.

But, plans can change so who knows.
Wow that sounds amazing! It seems like you planned everything out😂

Baylor essentially gets money from the state for the seats they give instate with a minimum closer to or greater than 85% lately. Thats one reason they moved out of AMCAS to TMDSAS and also due to their Temple campus. Although they have some flexibility, they still want to manage their OOS numbers at specific levels which is one reason they waited until the AMCAS commitment deadline to admit more OOS students to fill those who chose to go elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Pls update us if anyone specifies! i have seen some ppl in other groupmes specify if they were IS and OOS if someone asks
if you're not in the GroupMe, the information isn't really for you - yet, unless you enter from the WL

Does anyone know what the commit to enroll deadline is for OOS students who need to do it on AMCAS? Or do we just need to submit deposit to secure seat?

Does anyone know what the commit to enroll deadline is for OOS students who need to do it on AMCAS? Or do we just need to submit deposit to secure seat?
I think you're all set with just the deposit and PTE. I've emailed admissions a few times about whether they have a commit to enroll and I've never gotten an answer, only the plan to enroll deadline. If anyone else could confirm though that would be great.