2023-2024 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For my A it was 862-

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do they only call to schedule IIs? Or do they also send email info on the interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if research opportunities are plentiful at Hackensack?

Does anyone know if research opportunities are plentiful at Hackensack?
Research opportunities are definitely there, but its probably not plentiful since they are not connected to any large research institution.

Research opportunities are definitely there, but its probably not plentiful since they are not connected to any large research institution.

From its 2022-23 Annual Report, https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth.org/-/media/project/hmh/hmh/public/hmh_2022annualreport.pdf

By the numbers,
HMHRI has:

3,600+
Researchers

250+
Principal Investigators
with Active Studies

1,000+
Active Studies

Open Clinical Trials

Clinical trials in Cancer —
More Than Any Other
Cancer Center in NJ

Over the past four years, HMH has experienced remarkable growth,
more than tripling its externally-sponsored research portfolio
across the translational research continuum, as its research grant
expenditures and industry clinical trials revenue increased from
$31.1M in 2019 to over $100 million in 2022.

The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI) has itself grown
to encompass more than 180 scientists and support
personnel, over its first three years. The institution is funded
by $175 million in research commitments over the next
five years through government, pharmaceutical, biotech, and
foundation sectors, as well as private philanthropy.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know how much WL movement happens in the first couple of weeks of May? Not sure if I should expect to wait until June...

From its 2022-23 Annual Report, https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth.org/-/media/project/hmh/hmh/public/hmh_2022annualreport.pdf

By the numbers,
HMHRI has:

3,600+
Researchers

250+
Principal Investigators
with Active Studies

1,000+
Active Studies

Open Clinical Trials

Clinical trials in Cancer —
More Than Any Other
Cancer Center in NJ

Over the past four years, HMH has experienced remarkable growth,
more than tripling its externally-sponsored research portfolio
across the translational research continuum, as its research grant
expenditures and industry clinical trials revenue increased from
$31.1M in 2019 to over $100 million in 2022.

The Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI) has itself grown
to encompass more than 180 scientists and support
personnel, over its first three years. The institution is funded
by $175 million in research commitments over the next
five years through government, pharmaceutical, biotech, and
foundation sectors, as well as private philanthropy.
All great numbers. They asked if opportunities were plentiful, which would mean opportunities across most things. HMH does not have research in things other than primarily clinical projects. The funding is concentrated in a few things, but they do have what you need to apply to residency. Its just not a power research program like you're making it seem.

Rutgers has a $2 billion endowment. That is what I'd say you need to be considered "plentiful". Otherwise most schools would have "plentiful" research opportunities.

All great numbers. They asked if opportunities were plentiful, which would mean opportunities across most things. HMH does not have research in things other than primarily clinical projects. The funding is concentrated in a few things, but they do have what you need to apply to residency. Its just not a power research program like you're making it seem.

Rutgers has a $2 billion endowment. That is what I'd say you need to be considered "plentiful". Otherwise most schools would have "plentiful" research opportunities.

Why did you bother applying here? You seem to hate the place. Plenty of research abound here as far as I can tell, and I actually attend this place.

So how much does Rutgers' $2B endowment goes to medical research? Considering it only pays out 4% of its market value for a lot of efforts, that's only 80M. How much of that 80M goes to medical research "in things other than primarily clinical projects" that you seem to care about.

From: The Endowment | University Finance and Administration

Endowment assets are critical to the university’s efforts to fund student aid, pioneer research, support innovative teaching programs, and create new technologies. The endowment is intended to provide Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, a permanent source of income beyond tuition and state funding to support its mission.

A healthy endowment is essential to the university’s ability to attract and retain senior faculty and to maintain a vast physical infrastructure including classrooms, libraries, laboratories, and health care facilities. As of December 31, 2021, endowment assets were $1.98 billion.

The endowment, or long-term investment pool (LTIP), consists of approximately 2,500 individual endowment funds created by donors to pay for scholarships, endowed chairs, etc. to support a variety of causes. The endowment pays out four percent of its market value annually to support these funds.

Anyway, this place is what it is. It ain't going to change for your sake, and if it ain't good enough for you, then go elsewhere. It's only ranked 79 according to USN so there are 78 places that might meet your needs, including Rutgers.

Reactions: 5 users
Why did you bother applying here? You seem to hate the place. Plenty of research abound here as far as I can tell, and I actually attend this place.

So how much does Rutgers' $2B endowment goes to medical research? Considering it only pays out 4% of its market value for a lot of efforts, that's only 80M. How much of that 80M goes to medical research "in things other than primarily clinical projects" that you seem to care about.

From: The Endowment | University Finance and Administration

Endowment assets are critical to the university’s efforts to fund student aid, pioneer research, support innovative teaching programs, and create new technologies. The endowment is intended to provide Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, a permanent source of income beyond tuition and state funding to support its mission.

A healthy endowment is essential to the university’s ability to attract and retain senior faculty and to maintain a vast physical infrastructure including classrooms, libraries, laboratories, and health care facilities. As of December 31, 2021, endowment assets were $1.98 billion.

The endowment, or long-term investment pool (LTIP), consists of approximately 2,500 individual endowment funds created by donors to pay for scholarships, endowed chairs, etc. to support a variety of causes. The endowment pays out four percent of its market value annually to support these funds.

Anyway, this place is what it is. It ain't going to change for your sake, and if it ain't good enough for you, then go elsewhere. It's only ranked 79 according to USN so there are 78 places that might meet your needs, including Rutgers.
I dont hate the place? Seems like you're a student here and doing everything you can to push people to the school. Hackensack is NOT a research school and trying to advertise it as such is unethical. Are you trying to tell me research is more plentiful at hackensack than it is at Rutgers? The endowment is in ADDITION to all their external research funding (NIH, private, etc.). Both Rutgers RWJMS and Rutgers NJMS are higher in total funding than hackensack, which makes sense because they have two undergraduate institutions connected and are largely historic universities.

I like Hackensack because of the progress they've made in such a short amount of time. That is something you should be proud of.

just got my financial aid packet and withdrew my A since I’m not willing to pay $113k a year, wishing everyone waiting on decisions the best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, just got a financial aid package but on the WL…?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten a decision in the last week and if so when did you interview? Last week we started to see people who interviewed early-March get decisions but I want to know if anyone who interviewed mid-March has heard anything yet.

So far neither I nor any of my friends who interviewed in mid-March have heard a thing from them.

SAI of -1500 and 0 in aid top kek

Will be withdrawing. GL to y'all

I just got my financial aid packet while on the WL as well. I think something is wrong with the ones they are sending out though.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I dont hate the place? Seems like you're a student here and doing everything you can to push people to the school. Hackensack is NOT a research school and trying to advertise it as such is unethical. Are you trying to tell me research is more plentiful at hackensack than it is at Rutgers? The endowment is in ADDITION to all their external research funding (NIH, private, etc.). Both Rutgers RWJMS and Rutgers NJMS are higher in total funding than hackensack, which makes sense because they have two undergraduate institutions connected and are largely historic universities.

I like Hackensack because of the progress they've made in such a short amount of time. That is something you should be proud of.

Goodness gracious. Who's advertising it?

1. My first response was with some facts from HM from their annual report. I did not initiate anything to "push people to the school"
2. My second response was that there was plenty of research, with no qualification on the quality of the research
3. My second response also pointed out that the 2B Rutgers endowment did not all go to medical research
4. My second response also state that there were 78 better research med schools, including Rutgers
5. None of the responses came anywhere close to claiming that Rutger was worse. See point 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come?
Like others, I also withdrew my application prior to receiving today's financial aid email. I'm not sure if it is because I withdrew, but the financial aid package I received today was vastly different from the one they sent me in March. The one I got today listed $0 in aid, but I definitely got some aid. However, with Hackensack, it seems you know you will get need-based aid if you already received the AAMC fee assistance program.

• Wow
For people who withdrew, do you automatically get your deposit back after April 30th? I did not get a clear indication of when the deposit would be refunded and was wondering if anyone else here knows.

For people who withdrew, do you automatically get your deposit back after April 30th? I did not get a clear indication of when the deposit would be refunded and was wondering if anyone else here knows.
They said in the email reponse that the refund will be processed after May 1st. Not sure when it’ll actually hit your account, but they said withdrawing before or on April 30th meant you got it back.

On their financial aid doc it says anyone that applied using the fee assistance program gets offered 25k/ year. That was not refelcted in what I got.
It seems like they mixed up the financial aid and the scholarships on today's financial package email. I received a scholarship and the FAP financial aid and they were separated on the preliminary financial package emails. But in today's email they were combined and labeled as merit scholarship while financial aid says 0

Anyone else that was accepted that didn’t receive any emails about financial aid/scholarship? I was accepted last week btw

Goodness gracious. Who's advertising it?

1. My first response was with some facts from HM from their annual report. I did not initiate anything to "push people to the school"
2. My second response was that there was plenty of research, with no qualification on the quality of the research
3. My second response also pointed out that the 2B Rutgers endowment did not all go to medical research
4. My second response also state that there were 78 better research med schools, including Rutgers
5. None of the responses came anywhere close to claiming that Rutger was worse. See point 4.

But feel free to twist my words.
Lmao

Does anyone know how to get the contact information for an interviewer to send a thank you email? I’ll be calling the office but if anyone knew a quicker way thanks!

Does anyone know how to get the contact information for an interviewer to send a thank you email? I’ll be calling the office but if anyone knew a quicker way thanks!
If if was faculty it should be first name. Last name @hmhn.org. i would still just email admissions and ask them to forward the message tho

Hey y’all, current first year at HMSOM. Lemme know if you have any questions and good luck with the rest of your cycle :)

Hi! I just recently got the A and was wondering a few things:
1. Do they have in house or NBME exams?
2. For rotations far away from Hackensack, does the school provide housing?
3. Are all lectures mandatory?
4. Lastly, how easy was it to find housing in the area? I'm a bit worried about where I'm going to live, considering my other option has on-campus housing!
tysm!!!!

Also, how soon do you need a car to go here? I was going to get a car anyways but I'm a new driver (lived in NYC) and wanted to give myself a month or two to get acclimated to everything school wise. I read that they are required for a few courses, but is it possible to just Uber for a bit to do so?

Hi! I just recently got the A and was wondering a few things:
1. Do they have in house or NBME exams?
2. For rotations far away from Hackensack, does the school provide housing?
3. Are all lectures mandatory?
4. Lastly, how easy was it to find housing in the area? I'm a bit worried about where I'm going to live, considering my other option has on-campus housing!
tysm!!!!
1. I believe I've read in house that students state are "very similar" to NBME
2. Not completely sure, but I don't think so, given that a lot of students on q&a I've attended have talked about driving from their current housing to the site (usually an hour max commute, but less than that a lot of the time)
3. Yes
4. Haven't moved there yet but I've found lots of options that I'm happy with. Also the accepted students group me has a lot of people looking for roomates.

Sorry I couldn't be completely sure on some of this stuff, but I feel like I have a pretty good understanding from the q&a I've attended

2. Not completely sure, but I don't think so, given that a lot of students on q&a I've attended have talked about driving from their current housing to the site (usually an hour max commute, but less than that a lot of the time)
3. Yes
4. Haven't moved there yet but I've found lots of options that I'm happy with. Also the accepted students group me has a lot of people looking for roomates.

Sorry I couldn't be completely sure on some of this stuff, but I feel like I have a pretty good understanding from the q&a I've attended
I'm just an applicant but from the student Q&A and various info sessions: For point number 2, no housing is provided

Hi guys! just received an email saying the FA offer was a mistake- I'm on WL, if that helps. I didn't receive any aid on the mistake letter, so if the offer still ends up being the same, I probably will be withdrawing my spot on the WL. I hope this helps others! :)

3. Yes

M1 here.

1. NBME-like questions on in house exams
2. School does not provide housing, you either commute for far rotations, stay with a friend/family, or have to move
3. Yes. Current students are trying to push the school to change this but they haven’t budged
4. I moved across the country. Housing is expensive but it wasn’t terribly difficult to find something.

Also, how soon do you need a car to go here? I was going to get a car anyways but I'm a new driver (lived in NYC) and wanted to give myself a month or two to get acclimated to everything school wise. I read that they are required for a few courses, but is it possible to just Uber for a bit to do so?
It is really difficult without a car here. Longest you could probably go is until September/October when VP visits start unless you get lucky and your dyad wants to drive you every time. All lectures are mandatory so unless you live super close to campus, that’s a lot of ubers. Especially during SP block where class hours are much longer. Once LCP starts in Feb during first year, you for sure need a car.

What’s a girl gotta do to get a Pre-II R around here

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It is really difficult without a car here. Longest you could probably go is until September/October when VP visits start unless you get lucky and your dyad wants to drive you every time. All lectures are mandatory so unless you live super close to campus, that’s a lot of ubers. Especially during SP block where class hours are much longer. Once LCP starts in Feb during first year, you for sure need a car.
Are you considering tbl and pbl lectures? Because everything I’ve seen about this school shows they don’t have mandatory lectures (I’m confused on their curriculum). Is the schedule shown online correct, everyday in person 8am- until around noon other than Mondays 1:30 and Wednesdays is all day. Is Hackensack a flipped classroom?

Last edited:
Are you considering tbl and pbl lectures? Because everything I’ve seen about this school shows they don’t have mandatory lectures (I’m confused on their curriculum). Is the schedule shown online correct, everyday in person 8am- until around noon other than Mondays 1:30 and Wednesdays is all day. Is Hackensack a flipped classroom?
Definitely have mandatory lectures now, long changed since I was preclinical. Usually 8-noon every day except wednesdays. Most of the lectures are traditional, a half baked pbl and tbl are included. One pbl class on monday to introduce the case, the other on friday to go over it every week. Then TBL sprinkled in there every few weeks if I remember correctly.

Yes, everything, and I mean everything is required and 98% of the time in person. They record the lectures, but you are required to be there for all of them (you are allowed to miss around 2 days per block for personal time). We have about 1 TBL per week, it flips whether it is on Mondays or Fridays, they keep us on our toes lol. PPPC is Mondays and Fridays. Wednesdays are either short or long with Human Dimension and Clinical skills days switching off every other week. HSS days are usually until 2pm, they like to put those on Mondays usually. Usually 3-4 days a week are 8 to noon ish (this week only has 2 days like that). But, it also depends per block. SP was much longer days and weirder times because of labs. I'm in HA right now, and scheduling isn't bad, but they had to rearrange some classes and it made some days much worse, but such is life. They are throwing us extra CS required times in the late afternoons this block. You add in VP meetings, CHP meetings, LCP, and extra-curriculars, it adds up. Totally doable though! I don't mean to scare anyone, just know it will be busy.

Flipped classroom. They do try their best. This really varies per block and course director and lecturer. Some end up being very traditional lectures. Some end up being pretty bad "flipped classrooms" and others hit the nail on the head. But they take our feedback and are constantly working to improve on this.

Is VP and LCP further from campus? I'm just trying to figure out what would be on the hackensack campus vs where would be elsewhere.

Is VP and LCP further from campus? I'm just trying to figure out what would be on the hackensack campus vs where would be elsewhere.
Yes VP is part of the HD curriculum and is in various places throughout the community. LCP is at various hospitals and private practices, I think all within 1hr drive from campus

Even if my II chances are as low as Bill's health down there, I WILL GET THIS II

request hospital GIF

Yes VP is part of the HD curriculum and is in various places throughout the community. LCP is at various hospitals and private practices, I think all within 1hr drive from campus
Just to clarify, most of our lecture classes will be on the Nutley campus correct?

Also, how do students here deal with housing for rotations? Do people just make the commute?

OOS WL this morning. Do a lot of applicants get off the waitlist considering what've seen regarding the high post-II acceptance rate? Also is it worth sending a letter of interest?

Also, how do students here deal with housing for rotations? Do people just make the commute?

Move an hour or two away from Nutley and get some space close to the North or South rotation sites. Bad news is that you have to drive back to Nutley once in a while.

Move an hour or two away from Nutley and get some space close to the North or South rotation sites. Bad news is that you have to drive back to Nutley once in a while.
Does this school also do away rotations elsewhere in NY/Philly? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.