2023-2024 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know anything about the quality of clinical rotation sites? Have heard mixed things

You will hear “mixed” things about rotations from every single school. Pretty much all DO schools do a lottery system meaning you don’t get to pick your rotation site. This school has some big rotation areas like Orlando Florida, Lexington Kentucky, Knoxville Tennessee, etc. and it also has some really small rotation sites in areas with 4k people. But that doesn’t really decide whether they’re good or not. The “quality” of your rotation depends a lot on the student. Which makes your question hard to answer and subjective.

If you go to a tiny rotation site and the doctors love you there you will be first assist on every surgery and will get very hands on training. If the doctors don’t like you there you’ll be in the middle of nowhere and get poor training because they won’t trust you.

At a big rotation site you may get to see a more diverse set of patients and presentations. You could also get some great hands on experience but it may be harder due to the amount of qualified people ahead of you (residents, attendings, etc. ) but again a lot of it depends on YOU and if the attendings like YOU.

Main point here, regardless of the DO school you end up at you most likely will be doing a lottery system meaning absolutely nothing you do will decide on what rotation site you get. All you can control is how hard you’ll work at that spot. Will you show up prepared? Will you be on time? Will you be someone that attendings want to have around? Those are the things you should be more focused on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
You will hear “mixed” things about rotations from every single school. Pretty much all DO schools do a lottery system meaning you don’t get to pick your rotation site. This school has some big rotation areas like Orlando Florida, Lexington Kentucky, Knoxville Tennessee, etc. and it also has some really small rotation sites in areas with 4k people. But that doesn’t really decide whether they’re good or not. The “quality” of your rotation depends a lot on the student. Which makes your question hard to answer and subjective.

If you go to a tiny rotation site and the doctors love you there you will be first assist on every surgery and will get very hands on training. If the doctors don’t like you there you’ll be in the middle of nowhere and get poor training because they won’t trust you.

At a big rotation site you may get to see a more diverse set of patients and presentations. You could also get some great hands on experience but it may be harder due to the amount of qualified people ahead of you (residents, attendings, etc. ) but again a lot of it depends on YOU and if the attendings like YOU.

Main point here, regardless of the DO school you end up at you most likely will be doing a lottery system meaning absolutely nothing you do will decide on what rotation site you get. All you can control is how hard you’ll work at that spot. Will you show up prepared? Will you be on time? Will you be someone that attendings want to have around? Those are the things you should be more focused on.
So we won’t get to chose if we go to a hospital in the middle of nowhere?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
If I already sent a LOI a month ago post-interview but before I got the decision, is it worth sending another letter or would that be too extreme? They did confirm they received it and added it to my file back then.

Although idk if they even started any AL/WL movement either.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I already sent a LOI a month ago post-interview but before I got the decision, is it worth sending another letter or would that be too extreme? They did confirm they received it and added it to my file back then.

Although idk if they even started any AL/WL movement either.
I think it might be too much in my opinion. Possibly shows a lack of patience. But idk because I also thought people only sent LOIs after the decision. I wouldn’t send another one, but I think you should do whatever your gut tells you to do.

Reactions: 2 users
So we won’t get to chose if we go to a hospital in the middle of nowhere?

You make a list of your top 15 choices of where you’d like to go. Then they use a software to try and connect as many students with their top choices. The majority of people will at least get a top 5 choice. But like the name entails it’s a “lottery” so it’s down to luck. You just hope your name gets pulled earlier on and you get your top choice.

To the current lmu-dcom students who were waitlisted and sent a letter of intent, when did you get off the WL?
I interviewed mid march, WL at the end of march. Sent LOI 2 weeks after in mid April, then I was accepted at the end of may.

• Love
are there any students that can post what their weekly schedule is like (classes, exams, mandatory events)? OMS1 and 2?

are there any students that can post what their weekly schedule is like (classes, exams, mandatory events)? OMS1 and 2?
OMSI fall semester we pretty much had class 8-12 everyday, and then labs in the afternoon like 3-4 days of the week. we had anatomy lab 2x per week, and OPP Lab 1x per week, then occasionally lab for our essentials of patient care class. I would say our block exams were roughly every 2.5-3 weeks. we were done for Christmas break the first week of December, and started back for spring on Jan 2nd.

spring semester was different because our anatomy was only in the fall (I have heard anatomy might be full year next year, but I am not sure if thats true or not), so our only weekly labs are OPP and then again occasionally essentials of patient care. our classes most of this semester were also 8-12 but towards the end of this semester we have had classes some afternoons too, because we have to much to squeeze in before the end of the semester. from spring break to the end of the semester (ends may 17), we have been pretty jam packed unfortunately. our block exams this spring though are much closer together (you take more credits in the spring, more classes), usually every other week.

our OMSII schedule just came out the other day so I haven't looked too in depth yet, but were also done the first week of December this year for the fall semester. in the spring of second year, you will be done classes in April and then study for boards until June.

hope this gives some insight! I would think the OMSI schedule will become available for you all in the next few weeks since ours for OMS2 just came out the other day.

any students willing to answer some quick questions regarding COL, just a little bit stressed about this :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when it typically starts?

Last year it started in early May (2nd week) BUT they also stopped interviews in mid-April. This year they had their last one around May 3 I believe.

any students willing to answer some quick questions regarding COL, just a little bit stressed about this :)
Not a student, but cost of living in East TN/Eastern Kentucky is very low compared to most of the United States. Housing is going to be very reasonable. I live nearby in KY and people are moving in from other states because of how low the cost of housing is here.

Last edited:
For one accepted, how long after you submitted your campus preference did it take for them to let you know what campus you have a seat at.

For one accepted, how long after you submitted your campus preference did it take for them to let you know what campus you have a seat at.
Everyone accepted is getting auto placed at Harrogate and then you are put on the Knoxville alternative list. It took me about a month and a half to be switch to Knoxville

Not a student, but cost of living in East TN/Eastern Kentucky is very low compared to most of the United States. Housing is going to be very reasonable. I live nearby in KY and people are moving in from other states because of how low the cost of housing is here.
is it common for 1st years to live in KY and drive into TN? I'm only seeing a couple rental options in the area, and am worried about not finding anything

is it common for 1st years to live in KY and drive into TN? I'm only seeing a couple rental options in the area, and am worried about not finding anything
Yes, I know several people who live in KY (Middlesboro) and drive to campus from there. Only downside is that the tunnel closes occasionally for a few minutes so it can suck if you are running late

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly feel like more people live in Middlesboro than they do Harrogate. There's tons of options in Middlesboro. Check Cumberland Gap too, ~5 min drive from campus. If you haven't already, check out the LMU-DCOM Housing Facebook page too as landlords post on there pretty consistently.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly feel like more people live in Middlesboro than they do Harrogate. There's tons of options in Middlesboro. Check Cumberland Gap too, ~5 min drive from campus. If you haven't already, check out the LMU-DCOM Housing Facebook page too as landlords post on there pretty consistently.
Thank you!!

checking out harrogate a little bit before the tour. any recs on what to do or things to see?

checking out harrogate a little bit before the tour. any recs on what to do or things to see?
If you have a sweet tooth, Kings Donuts in Middlesboro, KY are phenomenal!!!!
Also typical touristy things would be to go up to the Pinnacle and see the view!

Can someone send me the Groupme for admitted students to the class of 2028?

Congrats!

Has anyone toured both campuses in 1 day? If so, did it work out well for timing?
I did and honestly i would no suggest it. Its a kinda long drive, ended up being closer to two hours and i felt kinda rushed at the second location. Better to just take a day each. Harrogate is beautiful. Knoxville is not cute on the outside but the inside gives "MED SCHOOL" high tech vibes. At least to me. And the study rooms were so cute and everywhere.