2023-2024 Marshall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry could you elaborate on what you mean by "old in person classes"
Sure, Marshall had a curriculum revamp a few years ago where a lot of lectures are now online. There are flipped sessions, exams, and tbl’s in person which are super helpful if you have kept up with the material in finding what you need to review. The students in the student session offered at Marshall haven’t had that curriculum revamp yet, so it is difficult to gauge the new stuff (ie online lecture recording and/or streaming). Marshall has had a pretty significant jump in performance on step scores and NBME as well with this change. However it can be challenging if your learning took a hit during COVID from the online classes. I personally am a raging YouTube documentary addict so I struggle with watching video lectures when I could just binge a series instead. I’m sure Cindy Warren on admissions would be able to speak more to these changes much better than me though

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what kind of curriculum Marshall follows? Is it flipped classroom, PBL, etc? It's hard finding a lot of info on this school:(
I was in a master’s program at Marshall where you got to take some of the med school classes early (would need to retake if/when matriculated as M1). The schedule that my advisor talked about as well went with a lot of team based learning and flipped classroom sessions in person. However the lectures you would watch online (we had 2 in person though) whenever they got released. It seemed like you could stream them as a medical student but the masters program didn’t have access to that for me. I have no idea about anatomy lab though and whether you dissect or simply look at what a lab tech dissected

Thank you so much for your response! Do you happen to know how likely it is to get off the waitlist if you are an OOS applicant?
I wish that I did, but your guess is as good as mine. If you have family in West Virginia that you are really close/involved with and/or being from a rural area then your chances could be decent. It does look like there is an increase in OOS residents in recent years for the class so almost certainly more likely now than later. It may also just come down to overall stats and experiences as well

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Is it normal for applicants to apply and hear nothing? I never received an application received or complete email so I emailed their office a few months back, just to touch base. About a month later, I didn't hear anything and tried emailing a different email (a specific email I saw in previous email correspondence) and never heard back still. It feels a bit disappointing to pay all that money and spend so much time and effort in the secondary to be ignored entirely. I am not entitled to an interview for sure, but radio silence in response to repeated correspondence feels unheard of. Marshall was my dream school prior to applying but I'm not so sure anymore. I haven't had this experience with any other school. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks for your time guys. Good luck on your cycle! :)

Hi guys! Is it normal for applicants to apply and hear nothing? I never received an application received or complete email so I emailed their office a few months back, just to touch base. About a month later, I didn't hear anything and tried emailing a different email (a specific email I saw in previous email correspondence) and never heard back still. It feels a bit disappointing to pay all that money and spend so much time and effort in the secondary to be ignored entirely. I am not entitled to an interview for sure, but radio silence in response to repeated correspondence feels unheard of. Marshall was my dream school prior to applying but I'm not so sure anymore. I haven't had this experience with any other school. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks for your time guys. Good luck on your cycle! :)
It's typically normal for them to take their time with incoming applications, but if you have emailed them and had no corresponding emails,
I would straight up call the admissions office or contact Cindy Warren directly. I had not heard back on the interview status a couple of weeks after my application II was submitted, so I called Cindy Warren at the admissions office to find out the application status. She helped me out and offered me an interview in the same day. She is super generous and they welcome calls/updates about things like that.

guys do they send a string backpack to everyone after an interview, I got one but haven't heard if im accepted, waitlisted or rejected yet:rofl: I dont want to get my hopes up but why would they send every interviewee a backpack lol

guys do they send a string backpack to everyone after an interview, I got one but haven't heard if im accepted, waitlisted or rejected yet:rofl: I dont want to get my hopes up but why would they send every interviewee a backpack lol
i got mine in the mail a day after my interview so i think yes

Reactions: 1 users
OOS from Pennsylvania, received an email to send ties to WV on 10/10 and sent on 10/20. Haven’t heard anything since. No response email or secondary. Any advice? Is it over for me?

OOS from Pennsylvania, received an email to send ties to WV on 10/10 and sent on 10/20. Haven’t heard anything since. No response email or secondary. Any advice? Is it over for me?
You probably should have followed up a couple weeks after. They likely aren’t taking secondary apps at this point as the deadline was December

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone apply MD/PhD this year or know of anyone accepted? Or does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like for the MD/PhD program at Marshall?

Withdrew from waitlist -- good luck to everyone still waiting!