3.0-3.3, 33+ Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveBeatles

I belong to the 60's
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread kind of died down..
and I can't seem to find it under search
SOOOO
any more inspirational cases?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm right there with you! i got one interview (University of Kentucky--OOS), followed by 4 quick (and painful) rejections. but that's why we apply broadly, right?...15 schools left to hear from...

This wasn't too inspirational, but maybe it'll be a success story after I do the interview!

:luck::luck::luck: to you and all the low GPA, high MCATers out there! (and everyone else too i suppose...)

I've been complete at all schools since mid October and have gotten rejections from GWU, Case, Vandy, and Mayo. I have interviewed at UNMC, Colorado, and have an upcoming interview at USUHS. I am still waiting to hear back from 13 schools.

I have a 3.34 UGPA, 3.46BCPM, 3.96 GradGPA, and a 33P MCAT. I feel like I am in Limbo Hell having not heard back from all these other schools. The only thing that I've heard is rejection, rejection, rejection. I feel like I should start looking into computer careers instead of med school. BTW I'm a non-trad and applied to med school 3 times 10 years ago. Just some added info for you. So sorry, I guess not much for inspiration but at least I can feel your pain.

TM

Members don't see this ad :)
twenty applications, three rejects, one secondary waiting, one secondary not completed, other secondaries completed. One interview in Dec. luckily, the interview is from my first choice

I wanna goto med school :scared:

35O. 3.3 overall. 3.19 bcpm from what I consider to be the best U in the world. I even have a shirt that calls us "the harvard of the west" ;) but I'm slightly brainwashed to love this school. :)
anyways...
applied to 14 schools.
all secondaries were completed by mid/late august. except for one that I didn't get until the end of Sept, and another one that I still haven't gotten.
3 rejections
3 interviews (at one [top choice] I'm deferred for a Dec decision. haven't heard back from/been to the others yet)
everywhere else = silence

I want more news. please?

Harvard of the west? Stanford? They're the only one that is even close...

It's pretty crazy if you think about it. The west, with the exception of Stanford, have no other top20 schools!

I just hate how all the powerhouses are in New England where it's cold.

California is too expensive nowadays, but the Ivy Leagues should all move to Oregan.

-edit- I meant stanford! edited to fix it. Bah.

2 Interviews so far, we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty happy with my progress so far, 3.1 GPA and 37 MCAT with 5 interviews including my top choice. I just wish someone would take a chance and accept me sometime soon haha :)

I have a 3.4/36 with 2 invites, if that boosts anyone's morale.

It's pretty crazy if you think about it. The west, with the exception of Stanford, have no other top20 schools!

California is too expensive nowadays, but the Ivy Leagues should all move to Oregan.

How about Caltech and Berkeley?

i doubt stanford kids would want to claim that they were the "harvard of the west"

yeah, what the heck is harvard of the west? That's like being called valedictorian of summer school.

Harvard of the West usually refers to University of Michigan (Harvard is the Michigan of the East). Their fight song is also "Champions of the West", or something like that.

I've also heard Stanford referred to as the Harvard of the West, but I'm pretty sure the poster was talking about Michigan.

35O. 3.3 overall. 3.19 bcpm from what I consider to be the best U in the world. I even have a shirt that calls us "the harvard of the west" ;) but I'm slightly brainwashed to love this school. :)
anyways...
applied to 14 schools.
all secondaries were completed by mid/late august. except for one that I didn't get until the end of Sept, and another one that I still haven't gotten.
3 rejections
3 interviews (at one [top choice] I'm deferred for a Dec decision. haven't heard back from/been to the others yet)

Nice work on the Mich interview. I've got the same MCAT, little higher GPA. There is hope.

anyways...
applied to 14 schools.
3 rejections

The T-Shirt I have, calls Harvard the Michigan of the East... those are the only ones I've ever seen...

BTW, good luck guys :thumbup: I was in the same boat last year

Hahha yeah I forgot CalTech.

UMich is a beautiful school, but a real Harvard caliber school would not be calling themselves the Harvard-of-somewhere.

UMich is a beautiful school, but a real Harvard caliber school would not be calling themselves the Harvard-of-somewhere.

I'm sure "The Victors" will work well enough for them this weekend

Hahha yeah I forgot CalTech.

We don't call ourselves the Harvard-of-somewhere... Harvard is the Michigan of somewhere ;) ... bellaepie screwed up the saying on the shirt

Found it... I guess these were around back in the 80s...

8583_1.JPG

3.23 BCPM, 3.56 OA, 34 MCAT -- 3 rejections, and 1 interview (Duke). From the remaining 20 something schools.... SILENCE. Sigh.

3.23 BCPM, 3.56 OA, 34 MCAT -- 3 rejections, and 1 interview (Duke). From the remaining 20 something schools.... SILENCE. Sigh.

Thats weak man.

I'm sure if it wasn't for the canadian thing, you'd have quite a few more interviews.

Aaw, thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. This whole thing bites. Hard.

Caltech and Berkeley are top 20. The thing with the West is that it has the majority of the top public universities, such as UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, and UT Austin. On the other hand, the East has all the top tier private institutions. It is also interesting to note that there is a greater wealth separation between classes in the East vs the West. Coincidence?

3.2 Overall, 3.3 Science, 34N, Top 10 undergrad, BME major. 6 rejections, bunch of holds, no interviews.

3.45GPA, Great EC's MCAT: 36

Rejected from Columbia
Hold GW
Interview: Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate, Emory, Rochester

whoops! yeah, I screwed it up. but it is Michigan. that's what I get for living up to our arrogant rep ;)

3.36 gpa, 3.26 BCPM, 35Q, good ECs and LORs, senior in college, no post-bacc or anything

3 holds, 4 rejections, 7 interviews, 2 acceptances!!
Have some hope :)

3.36 gpa, 3.26 BCPM, 35Q, good ECs and LORs, senior in college, no post-bacc or anything

3 holds, 4 rejections, 7 interviews, 2 acceptances!!
Have some hope :)

=O

Awesome!
Have my baby!

Just kidding, but awesome!

p.s. Vihsadas you're really late...

I know, I hope I'm not pregnant... :p

If you were you'd get into medical school for sure...as a test subject. HAHA

TM

Bumping for updates.

Caltech and Berkeley are top 20. The thing with the West is that it has the majority of the top public universities, such as UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, and UT Austin. On the other hand, the East has all the top tier private institutions. It is also interesting to note that there is a greater wealth separation between classes in the East vs the West. Coincidence?

the only thing keeping berkeley off of the top 3 in u.s. news is our loose admissions criteria. since we're public, we've got to accept a broad range of people, including those in the top 1-2% of california high schools. since high school caliber varies, it's hard to say that that top 1% is really that bright to begin with. michigan is great, but it's in michigan. so is anything in texas. or southern california for that matter.

2.98 UGPA, 2.74 BCPM, 36O MCAT, 3.98 GGPA... 3 interviews, 2 acceptance, still waiting on the third (and I've got a good feeling about that one).

or southern california for that matter.

This is a selling point for the vast majority of people :) I almost went to Caltech... they offer the equivalent of a "second look" for admits where they pay for you to fly out and see the campus, and it was pretty awesome, until I met the students... heh

the only thing keeping berkeley off of the top 3 in u.s. news is our loose admissions criteria. since we're public, we've got to accept a broad range of people, including those in the top 1-2% of california high schools. since high school caliber varies, it's hard to say that that top 1% is really that bright to begin with. michigan is great, but it's in michigan. so is anything in texas. or southern california for that matter.

True. In addition, I believe that the low alumni giving rate and increasing class size/faculty to student ratio has resulted in a steady decline in Cal's rank. Unfortunately, due to the California budget crisis, class sizes have increased as faculty staff was cut and so forth to save money.

It the University of California's ideal to accept the top people from every high school. I think that it is actually just the UC's in general that have to accept the top people in each class. It's usually the lower ranked UC's that end up accepting the top people from not-so-great high schools that wouldn't otherwise get in. Berkeley/ LA/SD can pretty much accept who they want as long as those people get accepted somewhere in the UC system.

Comparing Cal to Harvard/Yale/Princeton? It's not even close. Not even in the same league regardless of the 'admissions criteria.'

Comparing Cal to Harvard/Yale/Princeton? It's not even close. Not even in the same league regardless of the 'admissions criteria.'

Agreed, better to compare it to the other top public universities... that said, Cal is probably more rigorous academically then the other schools you listed.

Are you kidding me? One of my cousins transferred to Berkeley from Harvard because his family moved from Boston to Cali and his GPA dropped from a 3.9 to a 3.3 as a biochemistry major. In his opinion it was harder to keep A's at Berkeley.

In addition Harvard and Princeton are better liberal arts schools, the engineering and science programs at Berkeley are ranked in the top 3 or so from what I have read. Definitely not knocking Harvard, Yale or Princeton - I would give me left %$# to end up at any of them, but you can't say they don't compare just because its a public school, especially when the particular public school outranks them heavily in the science and engineering disciplines.

Here are the US News rankings for undergraduate engineering programs

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ege/rankings/brief/topprogs_withphd_brief.php

I could only find the sciences ranked at the graduate level, which is usually pretty consistent with undergrad programs as well.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...edu/grad/rankings/eng/brief/engrank_brief.php

Here is biological sciences

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../edu/grad/rankings/phdsci/brief/bio_brief.php

Here is the chemical sciences

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../edu/grad/rankings/phdsci/brief/che_brief.php

Here is the computer sciences

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../edu/grad/rankings/phdsci/brief/com_brief.php

Here is the mathematical sciences

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../edu/grad/rankings/phdsci/brief/mat_brief.php

So are y'all gonna continue to high jack this thread to discuss who's dad can piss the farthest too?? Or can we get back on topic of what the status of people are per the title of the thread.

TM

Are you kidding me? One of my cousins transferred to Berkeley from Harvard because his family moved from Boston to Cali and his GPA dropped from a 3.9 to a 3.3 as a biochemistry major. In his opinion it was harder to keep A's at Berkeley.

In addition Harvard and Princeton are better liberal arts schools, the engineering and science programs at Berkeley are ranked in the top 3 or so from what I have read. Definitely not knocking Harvard, Yale or Princeton - I would give me left %$# to end up at any of them, but you can't say they don't compare just because its a public school, especially when the particular public school outranks them heavily in the science and engineering disciplines.

Here are the US News rankings for undergraduate engineering programs

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ege/rankings/brief/topprogs_withphd_brief.php

I

Cal's rankings are diminished by lower selectivity(due to large class size and preference for CA residents), low alumni donation (some of it rightly deserved for its excess bureaucracy), and higher student/faculty ratio. Personally, I would rank Cal's engineering and sciences on par with top schools. If you look at the avg SATs/GPAs for the science and engineering students at Cal it is just as high as the Ivies. Cal's admission, especially into those programs, is just based on numbers, whereas those other schools take into account other factors.

who cares if we don't have schools like the east, we got the weather yo