90+ year olds w/severe OA - what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMDAware

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What advice does the community have for the patients who are way too old to have any joint surgery and have failed steroid injections and radiofrequency ablations?

I recently had a handful of 90+ year old patients with severe hip, knee, shoulder OA. Of course no surgeon would touch them. I walked them through nerve blocks and RFAs without much relief unfortunately.

Their family is somewhat understanding they’re not surgical candidates and usually understand their loved ones aren’t going to be doing backflips. However, they seem to want a touch more than what I feel is reasonable - ie not use the walker, get up from the bed comfortably etc.

What am I missing? Aquatic therapy? Treatment for depression? Palliative care consult? Low dose opioids? “An old car doesn’t have new parts” talk?

Members don't see this ad.

What advice does the community have for the patients who are way too old to have any joint surgery and have failed steroid injections and radiofrequency ablations?

I recently had a handful of 90+ year old patients with severe hip, knee, shoulder OA. Of course no surgeon would touch them. I walked them through nerve blocks and RFAs without much relief unfortunately.

Their family is somewhat understanding they’re not surgical candidates and usually understand their loved ones aren’t going to be doing backflips. However, they seem to want a touch more than what I feel is reasonable - ie not use the walker, get up from the bed comfortably etc.

What am I missing? Aquatic therapy? Treatment for depression? Palliative care consult? Low dose opioids? “An old car doesn’t have new parts” talk?

Do they have several comorbidities? (I know that is a stupid question about a 90 y/o) but my n of 2 has been 3 relatively healthy 90ish patients with awful OA. Had them see a good surgeon in town who takes train wrecks and revision work.
They all did awesome and were told no by a few ortho in town. All 3 had a new lease on life

They got a few weeks from the shots but were miserable otherwise. Tramadol not much help and 2 of the 3 it made them a bit more forgetful. All 3 had great family support.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know about shoulders and knees, but a 90 yo with good protoplasm could probably find someone to do their hip replacement. I do low dose opioids if they have someone who can help them with their meds and family understands the limitations of use and side effects. When I get the phone call later that they’ve passed away from old age, I can feel good that I didn’t let them suffer. Sometimes gabapentin and Tylenol is sufficient.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
tylenol #3 (1/2 to full tab ) bid prn with Senna - this combo has helped over the years

Consider pulverized Glucosamine with MSM (for dosing read the bottle) and Turmeric (read the container for dosing). Make sure PCP agrees. Take every day. Worked well on 40% of my patients. I know you can find literature to dispute the efficacy - may I suggest there is a bias in the literature against generic non profitable by Pharma treatments. Try it for 3 weeks. If it fails, go off it.

PNS of axillary nerve works well for intractable non operable shoulder pain. Could probably do it for the knee as well but I'm not experience in that.

If you want to think outside the box try IA phenol, sarapin, PRP, stem cells, capsaicin etc.

Voltaren, compound cream, they can try CBD cream. Then I will try tramadol, if nothing then tylenol #3, if nothing then vicodin. Rarely I will use oxycodone. Maximum TID dosing for anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Any studies that show butrans patches don’t work under a certain bmi? Not enough sun q fat?

Any studies that show butrans patches don’t work under a certain bmi? Not enough sun q fat?
In general the stuff I saw on google said no.

In cancer patients with fentanyl patches, seems to work fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that low dose opioids seem to do well here. I prefer long acting, low peaking things.

I've had good luck with RFAs and PNS.

I'm looking forward to the intra-articular RTX results as that should be perfect for this scenario

Agree with butrans or belbuca to limit side effects. If not an option I’ll slowly titrate low dose opiates. Oxy or norco 5’s. I have one 92 year old with a completely obliterated hip who I have a 12mcg fentanyl patch. Essentially treating as palliative patient. Once you hit 90 you’re playing with house money anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
PNS of axillary nerve works well for intractable non operable shoulder pain. Could probably do it for the knee as well but I'm not experience in that.

If you want to think outside the box try IA phenol, sarapin, PRP, stem cells, capsaicin etc.

I’ve tried IA phenol a number of times. Underwhelming results.

I’ve tried IA phenol a number of times. Underwhelming results.
Good to know. The concept seems legit. Destroy all the intra-articular sensory fibers and pain should go away right?

Would definitely do what others suggest first such as butrans, but if other indications (depression severely underdiagnosed in elderly, poor sleep, anorexia) can consider mirtazapine. It's noradrenergic, well tolerated in the elderly, and there's some case reports/series/animal studies suggesting some modest benefit in chronic pain.

How do those results compare with sensory RFA for the shoulder and knee? (Using the modern shoulder RFA technique targeting both axillary and SSN?

Even for non neuropathic shoulder, hip and knee pain y’all would consider PNS? I thought it was for a neuropathic component only. Maybe I’m using too strict of an inclusion criteria and missing the “big picture”. Happy to hear thoughts.

Maybe I'm a little off here, but how do you guys get pulsed-RF, phenol, PNS, etc covered? In my neck of the woods, nobody pays for any of that.

Reactions: 1 users
Even for non neuropathic shoulder, hip and knee pain y’all would consider PNS? I thought it was for a neuropathic component only. Maybe I’m using too strict of an inclusion criteria and missing the “big picture”. Happy to hear thoughts.
You are doing it right. PNS is mostly a money grab.

It’s interesting as well that when a provider doesn’t offer a procedure he is much more likely to dismiss it as a money grab or ineffective regardless of whether he’s ever done the procedure. We all have our personal biases. I would argue that the data for PNS is decent and am going to try it for awhile before throwing it into the bin along with IDET, ozone, chymopapain, peripheral field stim, pulsed RF etc.

what does research (that is hopefully not industry funded) show?

ASPN does not note robust data to support...

pns aspm.PNG

It’s interesting as well that when a provider doesn’t offer a procedure he is much more likely to dismiss it as a money grab or ineffective regardless of whether he’s ever done the procedure. We all have our personal biases. I would argue that the data for PNS is decent and am going to try it for awhile before throwing it into the bin along with IDET, ozone, chymopapain, peripheral field stim, pulsed RF etc.
Chymo worked great, it just killed a few people.
Pulsed RF works great, but not lasting relief beyond 6 mo.

Critically important to separate PNS from field stim. PNS has a role over sensory named nerves with reliable anatomical locations.
Suprascpaular, saphenous. I do not see it as reasonable in the multifidi, medial branches, superior cluneal, ilioinguinal locations. Those are just field stim with a different name.

Critically important to separate PNS from field stim. PNS has a role over sensory named nerves with reliable anatomical locations.
Suprascpaular, saphenous. I do not see it as reasonable in the multifidi, medial branches, superior cluneal, ilioinguinal locations. Those are just field stim with a different name.
Fair enough. I may completely agree in 6 months

what does research (that is hopefully not industry funded) show?

ASPN does not note robust data to support...

View attachment 363334
Hold up duct, are you suggesting that if a product or medical treatment has only industry sponsored studies showing safety and efficacy, these studies may not be accurate or reliable due to a possible conflict of interest? Are you consistent in this belief?

I think SPR's device is a large volume/field stim to some extent, but multifidus or intramuscular stim is a different beast than that. The PNS placement and subsequent programming for some people is very much field stim, but in general if you can get a paresthesia beyond the lead's positioning, I don't think of that the same I think of the old school box in the pain and pray thing.

I gotta go read about chymo now though as I missed the boat on that...

Brah, it could be coming back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

In my neck of the woods, I had a pain doctor who would prescribe 100mcg of Fentanyl for shoulder OA. I wasn't sure if to cry or laugh.

Last edited:
What if they had it in both shoulders?
I think that was the dose for both shoulders yet she still had pain. When I discussed it not being an appropriate type of med for that she had a cow.

I think that was the dose for both shoulders yet she still had pain. When I discussed it not being an appropriate type of med for that she had a cow.
Just switch it out for either a lidoderm or flector patch and don’t tell her. She’ll never know the difference 😂

Just switch it out for either a lidoderm or flector patch and don’t tell her. She’ll never know the difference 😂
Oh trust me in my former gig the patients that came to me were sooo over opioided ( I know that’s not a word) that they knew even if a minuscule change was made and had the nurses write down on their room board the exact minute their opioids were given. This person in particular who was on fentanyl for OA was also on norco I believe, Xanax, flexeril, Gabapentin, etc. it was like pulling teeth to try to change patient’s pain management into a reasonable and safe regimen. I had some people who were on like MS Contin 20mg q2-4 hours scheduled from other doctors.