A general PTCB exam question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therevenges412

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will tables be provided to help you convert units during the exam.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I have not taken the exam yet (I'm taking it this Saturday), but from what others have told me, they do not provide any conversion tables. If you are taking the exam this Saturday, good luck with all of your studies!!!

Tables won't be provided at the exam. I am only taking it this Sat., but I have asked around about that question. Bless us all. I wonder how many typically pass at each testing site/sitting.

I took the test in March and no conversion tables were provided. You actually have to know how to convert from one measurement to another. The test is actually not that bad. I believe about 70% of that people that take the test pass. I highly recommend you guys study the math section. About half the test was calculations. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
william4930 said:
I took the test in March and no conversion tables were provided. You actually have to know how to convert from one measurement to another. The test is actually not that bad. I believe about 70% of that people that take the test pass. I highly recommend you guys study the math section. About half the test was calculations. Good luck.

True. No table is provided. But you can use a calculator (I had a solar powered one...and I was in a room with no windows) :laugh: . I just worked through all the calculations first and answered the rest of the questions last.

It's an easy exam. Just make sure you know how many milligrams of mag sulfate are in 3mLs of a 50% sol'n. The percentage thing is something most don't pick up in casual retail or hospital pharmacy. When I took it 4 years ago it was the only question I didn't know how to do because I wasn't exposed to it.

Nope, no conversion tables.

Know especially these:

1 tablespoon ---> 15mL
1 teaspoon ---> 5 mL
g, kg --> lb

Mine was mostly hospital questions (IV calculations, and there were about 10 on saline and D5W concentrations!)

I've heard that another is almost all theory as well.

Have any questions feel free to email me. The link is in my profile.

WVUPharm2007 said:
It's an easy exam. Just make sure you know how many milligrams of mag sulfate are in 3mLs of a 50% sol'n. The percentage thing is something most don't pick up in casual retail or hospital pharmacy. When I took it 4 years ago it was the only question I didn't know how to do because I wasn't exposed to it.

What is the answer to that question? Are injectables always represented by mass/volume? or is it mass solute/mass of solution? Can you assume that it is 50% in terms of mg/ml so it's 1.5mg in 3mls?

Ugh, i feel stupid!

there's no tables. I think they give you easy stuff though... like 1 grain is 60 grams.. so obviously 1/2 grain is 30 grams.... switch ml to mg... stuff like that, no rocket scientist. I passed the exam with an 850 out of 950 (or 900?) don't quite remember....

What is the answer to that question? Are injectables always represented by mass/volume? or is it mass solute/mass of solution? Can you assume that it is 50% in terms of mg/ml so it's 1.5mg in 3mls?

Ugh, i feel stupid!

Me too...wouldn't that info have to be given on the label, as so many mEq/mL and/or so many mg/mL (assuming liquid form)?

-RD

there's no tables. I think they give you easy stuff though... like 1 grain is 60 grams.. so obviously 1/2 grain is 30 grams.... switch ml to mg... stuff like that, no rocket scientist. I passed the exam with an 850 out of 950 (or 900?) don't quite remember....
dwanna022:Hi:whats the lowest u can get on the test