ABOMS Written Exam 2016 and LSU-NO Review Course 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGYY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyyy boys,

no time no chat. question. is anyone going to the LSU-NO review course next month? what's up with the whole pimping model for this course?? I am not going to a reivew course, pay 2k and get pimped. anyone think this course will be good or a fail?

Also, is anyone studying for the ABOMS written exam in Jan 2016? How similar or different is the test compared to the OMSITEs that we took as residents? How are you guys prep'ing for this test? 3 months left guyssssss

ahhhhhhhhh

xoxo,
g

Members don't see this ad.

Taking it same time as you. Not sure what the case format at the review course will be like. Most likely it will be variable depending on who is presenting. To me review courses are more valuable for the oral boards. I may take one at that time - but not for the written. I'm going to review all omsite stuff and go over the aboms blueprint. Also Bagheri has a case based review book and there is another newer review book on Amazon also.

Taking it same time as you. Not sure what the case format at the review course will be like. Most likely it will be variable depending on who is presenting. To me review courses are more valuable for the oral boards. I may take one at that time - but not for the written. I'm going to review all omsite stuff and go over the aboms blueprint. Also Bagheri has a case based review book and there is another newer review book on Amazon also.
Hey Dr. Taco Elf! that's good assessment, I would have to agree with you that it would be faculty-dependent to see how good the course is. i just imagine the course next month degenerating into an uncomfortable scene of awkward silence as residents/newly graduated surgeons get pimped and struggle to come up with an answer. if i'm called to answer a question i'm probably going to excuse myself to the bathroom.

another question though, you mentioned "review all omsite stuff and go over the aboms blueprint." i understand that's your strategery lol for the written; is the bagheri case files your method for the oral? sorry :( i'm a dumb blonde asian girl, need to explain things slowly for me.

xoxoxo
g

Members don't see this ad :)
For the oral I'll worry about that in a year . But I feel like the case files is more for that.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443612767.808060.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443612778.228992.jpg

These are 2 other books I'm going to get.
I think they all cover the same thing more or less it just depends if you want "case files" or "blueprints" or "pretest" remember those 3 books for each shelf exam?

Thanks friend. I've read alot of your posts from previous years and you are one of the most well-read OMS guys on here. Good to have you in the field. good luck with the exam!!

g

I don't think this is actually a girl guys.

Hey Dr. Taco Elf! that's good assessment, I would have to agree with you that it would be faculty-dependent to see how good the course is. i just imagine the course next month degenerating into an uncomfortable scene of awkward silence as residents/newly graduated surgeons get pimped and struggle to come up with an answer. if i'm called to answer a question i'm probably going to excuse myself to the bathroom.

another question though, you mentioned "review all omsite stuff and go over the aboms blueprint." i understand that's your strategery lol for the written; is the bagheri case files your method for the oral? sorry :( i'm a dumb blonde asian girl, need to explain things slowly for me.

xoxoxo
g
it is not worth it. considering doing the Denver review course. good luck

it is not worth it. considering doing the Denver review course. good luck

oh crap?? really, why you say that Kabob? Is it b/c this year is the first time the LSU course is doing the "pimping" format? I've done the Denver course as a resident, it was pretty good; never done the LSU course, heard is was great, now disappointed from what you're saying. can you pretty please tell me why it is not worth it?

g

Hey gentlemen,

So what did you guys think about the written QE? What do you all feel is better for a comprehensive read to prep for that test, Peterson's 2 volume 3rd Edition or Fonseca's 3 volume? Were old exams of value to you guys on the test?

Have a good day boys!
g

Sounds kinda foolish but anybody know if anywhere that sells or releases all of the previous OMSITE exams for us to use as a part of our studying?

Sounds kinda foolish but anybody know if anywhere that sells or releases all of the previous OMSITE exams for us to use as a part of our studying?

usually passed on from resident to resident
not sure if there is an online site/source, etc
i guess you can contact the testing administration if there is a source for accessing released old exams

Would you guys happen to have any of the recent questions that were passed down. I have them from 5+ years ago and would be willing to share if you can get me the more recent ones. Thanks