Age of residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubstanceK

Student Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....question. I'm a little older (just turned 30) and sometimes feel a little self-conscious about going to pharmacy school a little later then most students. Do RPDs or pharmacy residency programs look down on older applicants as the general pool of places I applied had residents that were all in their mid to early 20s....thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We like older students. More life experience and usually more dependable. If you have the goods, it can only work in your favor.

Reactions: 4 users
I start my pharmD program this August (3 year program) at the very young age of 30. If I wish to do a residency I’ll start applying at the young ambitious age of 33. If I feel inspired to specialize for a PGY2 then I can’t wait to start my solo journey at the exciting age of 35.

All while challenging my kids on who has the better report card

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had a resident in their early 30s in my residency class and never thought it was weird. As long as the reason you are older is because you were doing other interesting and meaningful stuff before pharmacy school/residency, and you are otherwise mature, responsible, professional and personable, your age and extra life experience will actually help you stand out in a positive way.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, it’s nice when someone has some real life experience and perspective to add to the group.

Do programs even know your age? I thought only HR knew your personal specifics after you get hired into their program. But then again I guess your job history can give it away too

^You could probably do some rough math based on the resume and come up with a reasonable guesstimate.

I'm starting school at the age of 39 and looking forward to it. Being older actually helped me with my interviews!

Hey guys....question. I'm a little older (just turned 30) and sometimes feel a little self-conscious about going to pharmacy school a little later then most students. Do RPDs or pharmacy residency programs look down on older applicants as the general pool of places I applied had residents that were all in their mid to early 20s....thoughts?

We can't even see the age on residency applications. It's not a consideration. As long as you are willing to learn and open to feedback that is what a residency is all about you will be fine.

We can't even see the age on residency applications. It's not a consideration. As long as you are willing to learn and open to feedback that is what a residency is all about you will be fine.
I agree that age isn't a factor, but often it doesn't matter that we can't tell who is older (e.g. non-traditional) and who isn't. People who start residency older (like me) are usually given away by their educational or work history. Rarely you will have an applicant that started undergrad late in life and took no breaks. For those people it can be hard to guess because no one puts the date they graduated high school.

I started residency after working for a while and I am told that my "real-life" experience worked in my favor.

If it makes you feel any better I will be 40 on May 29th. For my birthday present to myself I am taking the MCAT on May 24th. I am hoping to start Medical School in the Fall.... go for it. You are only as old as you feel and I know my life experiences will make me one hell of a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a bold face life. If you're older and you have a family is very difficult to brown nose the right people for residency