Am I Off To A Good Start? NP or PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted830324

So i've jumped back and forth from M.D. to N.P. to a Psychologist but realized I have an interest in medicine and not just therapy. Recently I shadowed a Psych PA and I really liked it. I have noticed that the pre reqs are similar to that of medical school. I was thinking about after I transfer from my CC, majoring in Biology and then applying to two PA schools in Iowa. University Of Iowa and then Saint Ambrose University. I would like to work in Psychiatry. I work at a restaurant right now and was planning on getting my CNA the summer before transferring to my four year university. I still have kept in mind going the nursing route because I am interested in the nursing model and like how you can earn a BSN a be a psych nurse and then go on and earn a DNP or an MSN. Would it be better to go the PA route or the NP route? Either way I will still become a CNA.

Members don't see this ad.

I never fully grasp what people are thinking when they mention a fondness/preference for either PA or NP “model” of care or education, because I think there are issues to consider that surround more than simply the delivery method. I think PA education is robust, but I don’t like the restrictions their profession carries, not do I like the cost or delivery method (up until Yale jumped in with an exciting online program.... really more of a hybrid, but ground breaking nonetheless for folks who don’t want to relocate for school or remain captive in a classroom in the 21st century). So whether or not I like the nursing model, it is only one of many factors that helped cinch my pursuit of my NP degrees. You should also decide what factors are the best fit for you. I can appreciate how you want to work as a nurse while you pursue your NP, because I’m doing that currently, and it’s working out very well. However, you might find it rewarding to shoot through one year of class and one year of clinicals to become a PA. Your job market may have preferences in the specialties you want to work for either PAs or NPs, so that should factor in.

But I wouldn’t get preoccupied with issues around “models”. Think about things like whether you want to be a nurse doing nurse work while you strive to be someone that carries a prescription pad. That kind of practical thinking puts your goals in perspective more than theoretical aspects of how to “treat the whole person”, vs “treating the problem”.

I’m a nurse, and rarely in my studies have come across the fluffy nurse mantras about holistic care that I feared I’d encounter, but it’s out there, and it sounds ridiculous. I think proponents of that seem to make the assumption that the medical folks don’t look at the whole person like the nurses do. Yes, I understand where some of my nursing peers are coming from when they say things like that, but most nurses struggle to find a way to adhere to the pure nursing fantasy. Reminds me a bit of the folks who say that communism keeps failing because the true form has never been appropriately implemented. It never hurts to keep a broad perspective of what ails a patient, but practical constraints often limit what problems providers can tackle in one brief and expensive visit. The best solutions are often very specific in scope and treatment.

If you are interested in psyche, and you know that, then you will have the most latitude and salary outlook as a psyche NP vs a PA. My psyche NP new grad friends make over $150k. I know 2 psyche PAs that make what regular PAs do here, which is starting out at $85k and averaging $95k-$100k. I believe they spend a lot of their days doing very similar things, but the NPs aren’t required by law to be supervised by physicians. That difference is important for a lot of reasons, and it shows up most strikingly in the pay they both can command. PAs are essentially a captive audience. NPs here can go start their own practice if they need to. They aren’t at the mercy of a doctor to be willing to hire them. That translates to more respect, more ability to make demands, and more freedom to walk away from bad arrangements. But you may live in one of the states that doesn’t allow NPs to be independent. Factor that into your decision as well.