Am I wasting my time pursuing a HO fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porkyqkr

Reaction score
Hi y’all,

I need someone to lay it to me straight. I am a USMD current PGY1 at a community hospital interested in community/private-practice heme onc. I went to a mid-tier med school. My current program has good ties to local university programs including my med school but it has no in-house HO fellowship.

I know the biggest factors in landing a spot are the interview, LORs, word of mouth and research. However, I’ve been reading a lot about how a lot of programs screen out applications based on USMLE scores. I’m fairly certain that’s what happened to me for residency match and I’m terrified of it continuously affecting my career. My current program thankfully viewed my application holistically and from what I can tell are very pleased with my performance so far… but I didn’t have the opportunity to sell myself in an interview for any other program for resident match, including my home program, which definitely stung.

I got a 196 on step 1 and a 216 for step 2. No other red flags, just an bland CV thus far minus a few HO case reports under my belt. Based on these scores, is it futile for me to pursue a fellowship in HO? Would any amount of research or improvement on step 3 get my foot in the door?

I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't hurt to try, but many programs will screen you out based on your Step 1 and 2 scores alone, especially if you're in a community program as well. Some people may do a chief year. But sounds pretty uncertain so make sure you have good back-up plans.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing is impossible but your scores will hurt and most places will filter out. You could try doing Oncology Hospitalist, Palliative care, geriatrics fellowship etc for a year at a program that has Heme Onc Fellowship and go that route. Another thing that might help is to get started at those places on a research project with Heme Onc faculty/fellows. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate it. I’ll still give it my all and try to get my name out there with some local PDs.

I didn’t know scores matter for fellowship. I wouldn’t give up. Bulk up your cv with some case series on a rare cancer by asking a Hem/Onc attending in the current program to mentor you. You can always do an external rotation. A chief residency position and a phase 1 clinical trial fellowship is another way to get into hem/onc. Good luck!

A similar question and didn't want to start a new thread. Sorry for hijacking OP. Current PGY2
Stats: 22x, 23x
4 heme-onc case report pubs, 1 ASCO pubs only hidden in their supplemental, 1 ASH poster. 10 Case report posters presented at IM conferences, mostly heme-onc
How behind am i?

You'll probably match.

OP: I am also a resident so take my advice as you will.

I think your scores are poor enough to be screened out, but elbow grease might get your application reviewed at specific programs by emailing them your sincere interest.

More importantly, you need to aggressively look for mentorship and that may be your shoe in. Yes, your scores are not great but you are a US MD and that is defintiely a step in the right direction. I would try to reconnect with your faculty at the university. It sounds like you are not too far away, distance wise