Anesthesia to Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this already in the anesthesia forum but I wanted your opinions too.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about switching from anesthesia (already matched) to general surgery? Would you call them crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your motivations!

Why the desire to switch?

Thanks for your reply! It actually isn't me, its my significant other...

He is doing a general surg prelim right now and just really likes it and now he is worried that anesthesia will be too boring. I say everything gets boring after a while! I dont know - I want to support him no matter what he chooses but I know he will be around a lot less. Plus, I worry that the things that will be important in 10,15 years don't seem as important when you are in your 20s. In the end though, if surgery is what he wants, I will be behind his decision. I just wanted opinions of people who are doing surgery residency or are already out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well only he knows for sure if it's the right thing to do - we'd just be speculating.

It's much rarer than the General Surgery resident who switches into Anesthesia, that's for sure.

Not sure what you're after - are you asking for us to guess his motivation? Or to offer him pros and cons? Seems like something better served by you talking to him yourself, no? :confused:

Oh definitely, we have talked about it a lot. I guess I am looking for words of wisdom from surgeons to pass on - do you ever regret going into surgery? If you have families or other interests or whatever, do you think being a surgeon interferes? Or on the flip side, do you love it and find it to be fulfilling - mentally, emotionally, professionally, financially?

Of course, only he can make the decision but I thought hearing from people in the field with more practical experience might help...

Thanks!

I don't think anyone here can comment on which is more "fulfilling" because we're all in surgery because we like surgery. If we liked anesthesia, we'd be doing that. I don't know any surgeons who would consider anesthesia fulfilling or vice versa.

The key point is that, like all specialties, there are also underlying motivations. Very few people approach specialty choice in a vaccuum. To most people, lifestyle is a major consideration. It is to surgeons, too, in terms of worrying about if you'll see your spouse ever or if your kid will know you. However, compared to other specialties, we're much less concerned about lifestyle because we have to be. We know the realities of training.

In contrast, I can't tell you how many anesthesiologists have said to me, "hey, if you can't take the hours of surgery, come join us!" I don't even know what that means. It's like they think that I'll go to a specialty just based on work hours or something. It's the most irrelevant argument ever, but it makes a lot of sense to them. They never say something like, "hey, if you're interested in ANESTHESIA, come join us!" if you know what I'm saying. It would be like if I said, "hey, if you want to wear scrubs, come join us!" to a Psychiatry resident. Huh? What?

If your fiancee is doing surgery right now and likes it, then he likes it. Clearly he knows what the lifestyle entails because he's living it right now. If that's acceptable to him, then I see no problem with it.

At this point in time financially and personal time with family and friends – anesthesia is the way to go. Once you leave the hospital, you leave the work behind you.

If he/she does not mind the financially straggles and loss of quality of life – but have the constant challenge of surgery. Then surgery is the way to go.

If I had to do it again, I would have stayed away from General surgery. But then again, I maybe in the minority; some people have thicker skin than I do and they maybe independently wealth.

Good luck with your decision.

The grass is always greener, except on anesthesia's side, the green is made of money, whereas on surgery's side it's made of bile and pseudomonas.

Of course, that post in and of itself says a lot about the motivations of the two.

The grass is always greener, except on anesthesia's side, the green is made of money, whereas on surgery's side it's made of bile and pseudomonas.

Very clever, but whether or not you're going into anesthesiology, thanks for helping promulgate the sterotype.

There are actually some of us who happen to like anesthesia because we feel it is interesting and that we have a chance to make an important impact on the health and well-being of patients.

Yeah, there are lazy and greedy anesthesiologists out there. But those aren't the type that made all the advancements in the specialty over the past 160 years.

Very clever, but whether or not you're going into anesthesiology, thanks for helping promulgate the sterotype.

There are actually some of us who happen to like anesthesia because we feel it is interesting and that we have a chance to make an important impact on the health and well-being of patients.

Yeah, there are lazy and greedy anesthesiologists out there. But those aren't the type that made all the advancements in the specialty over the past 160 years.

Promulgate - verb
1: to make (as a doctrine) known by open declaration : proclaim
2 a: to make known or public the terms of (a proposed law) b: to put (a law) into action or force

Had to look that one up!

My dad is an anesthesiologist, our family friend and neighbor was a general surgeon at the same hospital, and i'm going into g-surg (M4 in the middle of applying), so i've seen both sides of the coin. I think that at large academic centers with large groups, Anesthesilogists seem to have a good lifestyle. That was NOT what i saw growing up; my dad was one of only 2 anethesiologist at a 3 OR facility (CRNA's filled in the rest) in a small town of about 5,000 folks. He never got to leave in the middle of a case to get lunch like I see the Anesthesiology residents and attendings do here at my medical school. During a day, he had less free time than the surgeons because in between cases he had to be with one patient in the PACU while preparing for the next patient. He always was jealous of the Surgeon's lifestyle because they were reading the paper and eating a sandwhich inbetween cases while he often skipped lunch!

When he was on call, he was on call for EVERY surgical service. He had to go in if there was an ortho case, ent case, g-surg case, or ob/gyn case (including epidurals for labor). Again, he was jealous of the surgeon's lifestyle becasue they only came in for the cases that involved their field and not the others.

Now as for the Surgeons' view of Anesthesiologists' lifestyle, I don't need to go into that. Plenty of posts about that all over this forum! :)

My point is that either one of these specialities can be taylored to the kind of lifestyle that you want to live. If you are going into anesthesiology, maybe a bigger group with a "shift work" system is for you. If you are OK with a more variable schedule, a smaller group might be where you are happier. As a surgeon, you can find larger groups with less call nights (but more likely to get called in) or a smaller group with more call nights, but less times getting called in.

Good luck with your decision.