Anxiety/miserable feeling from getting Bs in graded curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armaragon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
*School is in a city in the northeast*

Hi guys, just a quick question as an osteopathic medical student attending an osteopathic school that is graded, and is pursuing a career in anesthesiology (first choice as of now), radiology, gen surgery, or PM&R.

Is it okay to get Bs?

My GPA right now is hovering around 3.3 after our first year of preclinicals, with just Bs and some As thrown in. I'm getting worried that it's not enough and it's really stressing me out; it's so difficult to get an A on exams, I'm always hovering around 85%. Because I'm really digging anesthesiology right now, I'm getting worried I'm not doing enough. I am volunteering and hoping to get some publishing done this year with a research group if that matters.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Preclinical grades only play a small part in your residency app. You’re fine as long as you don’t fail. Rotation grades matter much more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Preclinical grades don’t matter. But if your school ranks, try not to be in the bottom half if you can.

Preclinical grades don’t matter. But if your school ranks, try not to be in the bottom half if you can.
Thank you. I believe what our school does is send our GPAs, alongside our class's average GPA, to residency programs and that's it...

Agree that preclinical grades are not that important. Board scores, LORs, auditions, interviews are more important. Try to be in the top half of your class. Far more important is to play the rapidly changing Residency Match game well. Apply widely and to.mostly programs where you are competetive. Your choices are all doable, especially if you have decent board scores.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Agree that preclinical grades are not that important. Board scores, LORs, auditions, interviews are more important. Try to be in the top half of your class. Far more important is to play the rapidly changing Residency Match game well. Apply widely and to.mostly programs where you are competetive. Your choices are all doable, especially if you have decent board scores.
And network, network, network!!!

I mainly got B’s. No one cared.

Reactions: 4 users
Getting B's in med school is nowhere near equivalent to getting B's in undergrad imo. Medical school is a completely different ballgame, being that it is exponentially harder to be "good". Prospective matters here.

I would not stress about this in the slightest. Like everyone said, if you've made it through year 1 and 2 without failing a class, you're good.

Reactions: 2 users