Anxiety over COMLEX - advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dt7538

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resolved. Thank you to everyone who offered their advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I really need some advice.

COMLEX is in 4 weeks, and I know I'm not ready. I'm not just saying that. I started studying the 3rd week of May (pretty much right after school got out and I moved back home) and studying has been quite the challenge since.

The first issue is that moving back home has made it immensely difficult to study. My parents are always having me do things for them. One of my parents has a disability. I have to drop what I'm doing in that moment to help them with whatever they want, and when they want. If I don't, they make me feel insanely guilty or yell at me, and then there's always the possibility of me being cut off financially. I can't just leave the house to go to the library whenever I want because we only have one car, and my parents needs for the car come first.

Unfortunately, class studying was not board studying. I didn't realize this until I got to dedicated. I know several people that have failed/almost have failed classes because they tried to just study what was in First Aid/B&B/Pathoma for our exams. I've been trying really hard to fix my weaknesses. I know I can do it, but it's just going to take some time (more time than I have right now).

I've been doing B&B/First Aid/Sketchy/Pathoma followed by Anki for each subject. I've hardly done U World (about 200 questions at this point). My scores on practice questions for the subjects I've covered have ranged from 60-75%. We're supposed to take a practice exam sometime this month to see if we're ready to take boards. If we don't pass it, we have to take boards sometime during our rotations.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I cram everything I can in four weeks? Or should I keep studying the best I can, but plan for a delay? I would rather take my boards on time, but I really don't want to risk a failure. I would really appreciate some advice right now, thanks.

You need to get out of your parents home. You should't have moved back until after dedicated.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to get out of your parents home. You should't have moved back until after dedicated.

I understand, but unfortunately I had to return for a personal reason that I don't want to get into. Once here, my lease expired on my place, and based on previous recent visits over break didn't know it would be like this

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you not walk or bike or uber to a quiet coffee shop and wear headphones or something? I personally could not study if my parents were constantly interrupting me to do things.

I understand, but unfortunately I had to return for a personal reason that I don't want to get into. Once here, my lease expired on my place, and based on previous recent visits over break didn't know it would be like this

I understand, but unfortunately your situation is the kind of thing that could push someone to failing boards that normally wouldn't. You have to find somewhere you can sit and study for hours a day. You also have to tell your parents you can't be at their beck and call.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you not walk or bike or uber to a quiet coffee shop and wear headphones or something? I personally could not study if my parents were constantly interrupting me to do things.

Nothing is within reasonable biking/walking distance from where I live. I've thought about using uber, but the problem is that I'd be told that I have to back by a certain time to help with something they need me to do.

Nothing is within reasonable biking/walking distance from where I live. I've thought about using uber, but the problem is that I'd be told that I have to back by a certain time to help with something they need me to do.

I hate to say this, but your parents are tanking your career. You have to get out of that situation.

I've told them that. And they don't believe me, and think that I'm ungrateful for everything they've done for me in the past. Unfortunately I'll only be free of this situation until I move for rotations next month.
Rotations aren’t gonna matter if you fail boards, no?

Can you setup at like a motel for something? You can apologize profusely to your parents after you pass boards.

Rotations aren’t gonna matter if you fail boards, no?

Can you setup at like a motel for something? You can apologize profusely to your parents after you pass boards.

Our school has us take a practice exam first before the real thing. If we pass it, we're good to go. If not, we don't take boards and study during rotations.

If not, we don't take boards and study during rotations.
Which is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons. I maintain that you need to get out of the current situation to maximize your potential. I understand there are likely some sensitive things going on/culture stuff but, quite literally, your entire career is on the line and it's obvious they don't have your best interests in mind, or at bare minimum are ignorant and refusing to understand why.

Which is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons. I maintain that you need to get out of the current situation to maximize your potential. I understand there are likely some sensitive things going on/culture stuff but, quite literally, your entire career is on the line and it's obvious they don't have your best interests in mind, or at bare minimum are ignorant and refusing to understand why.

I'll have to try and figure something out. Do you think it's realistically possible to do well with only 4 weeks left though? I appreciate your advice btw.

I'll have to try and figure something out. Do you think it's realistically possible to do well with only 4 weeks left though? I appreciate your advice btw.

Depends on your baseline, which it sounds like you don't have much of so it's hard to tell. Your UW scores are decent, except you said it's by topic and only a very small sample size. You need to 1. do a LOT more UW. 2. Take a COMSAE. 3. Keep hammering UFAP.

I have no doubt you will get to above a passing score, if you aren't there already, however doing well requires lots of time. 4 weeks is definitely enough to do very well but not with the situation as you describe it. You need at least 10 hours of dedicated study time every day.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on your baseline, which it sounds like you don't have much of so it's hard to tell. Your UW scores are decent, except you said it's by topic and only a very small sample size. You need to 1. do a LOT more UW. 2. Take a COMSAE. 3. Keep hammering UFAP.

I have no doubt you will get to above a passing score, if you aren't there already, however doing well requires lots of time. 4 weeks is definitely enough to do very well but not with the situation as you describe it. You need at least 10 hours of dedicated study time every day.

Yeah they were by topic. Basically what I’d do is cover things like immuno, micro, and MSK and then mix those topics together into one block. And then do several more blocks. My concern is that if I do U World >>> content review, I won’t fix the gaps in my knowledge.

It sounds like your home situation is the main issue with you not performing on this test. If your parents are this incompetent and don't believe you it is not your fault but you need to find a way to get out. Check CraigsList for places to lease for 4 weeks or call hotels to see if you can get a deal for staying longer. This is not the time to feel bad about ditching your parents, don't waste the 2 years of school you put yourself through because they can't be understanding of this.

It sounds like your home situation is the main issue with you not performing on this test. If your parents are this incompetent and don't believe you it is not your fault but you need to find a way to get out. Check CraigsList for places to lease for 4 weeks or call hotels to see if you can get a deal for staying longer. This is not the time to feel bad about ditching your parents, don't waste the 2 years of school you put yourself through because they can't be understanding of this.

I wish I could, but I don’t have the funds right now. And even if I did, my parents would yell at me and say getting a hotel was a waste of money. And not allow it. I know I have to get out of this, but I’m really beginning to feel like I’m stuck :/

As someone who pushed through and didn’t postpone boards and then did poorly on them (step 1), you need to do whatever you can to explain to them the implications of this. It is a CAREER changing exam. Studying for boards while on rotations is horrible too.

Yes, you feel stuck, but you need to try and explain it again. Even if you have to set up a tent in the backyard to study, do it.

I think this is a prime 'better to ask forgiveness than permission' situation, OP. I doubt your parents understand the gravity of what they're doing to you, and it's probably best to piss them off for the next month and concentrate on studying, and then apologize/explain after the fact.

Are you an adult or a kid? I assume you are a medical student and therefore over 18. Time to act like it.

Are you an adult or a kid? I assume you are a medical student and therefore over 18. Time to act like it.

I’m a grown adult, yes. But it’s not easy to just pack up and leave when you don’t have the financial means and one of your parents has a disability, and depends on you. I think I have figured out a solution, so I believe I’m acting like an adult. I appreciate everyone who was kind enough to offer their advice.

Reactions: 1 users
I've told them that. And they don't believe me, and think that I'm ungrateful for everything they've done for me in the past. Unfortunately I'll only be free of this situation until I move for rotations next month.
No friends to crash with?

I am seeing major danger signs that you will fail Boards if you can't stand up to your parents.

Can you swap your first rotation for time for Board study...ie, burn an elective?

You will not have time to run home for every emergency during your clinicals or residency either.

Status
Not open for further replies.