Any Carribbean Graduates LAND Ortho residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to know if there are any carribbean graduates you guys know that are in ortho residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Raptor said:
I was just curious to know if there are any carribbean graduates you guys know that are in ortho residencies?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG SHOT! go deep, real DEEEEEEEEEEEEp!! :laugh:

seriously, any US med grad seen any foreign med grad as ortho resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Raptor said:
seriously, any US med grad seen any foreign med grad as ortho resident?

It can be done, but it's extremely difficult. I know of one at Henry Ford in detroit and another at Wayne State (this program may be closing) I saw a foreign grad interview at usc and I heard UMDNJ Newark also had a couple. Best bet would be to do elective rotations at these programs.

1 matched from my school last year. I also know of one pgy-2 at Brown. Of course, both of these guys scored 250+ on Step 1, step 2, and very good LORs with minimal connections. Good luck!

Yes, there is usually 1 or 2 every year / other year or so from Ross and St. George's.

Be prepared to not match.

You MUST do an away at the place you expect to match at.

http://www.rossu.edu/med/whyross/recordachieve_041.cfm#ortho

http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Home/2004PostgraduateResidencyAppointments.htm
"Dunbar, V, William
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, Orthopaedic Surgery"

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/ortho/residency/white.html

http://njms.umdnj.edu/departments/orthopaedics/res_currentpgy4.cfm

http://njms.umdnj.edu/departments/orthopaedics/res_currentpgy5.cfm

What about graduates from Mexico? An even longer shot?

I have seen a lot of people on these forums ask questions like this and I think that it is important to put it into perspective:

There are roughly 150 MD ortho residencies in the US with about 3200 positions. (Average about 4.2 per program per year)

If we assume that there are ~10 Caribbean grads that are currently in training in the US (five are specifically linked above), this makes the odds about 320 to 1. If the above 5 are the ONLY ones in training, the odds are closer to 640 to 1.

For comparison, if you are dealt 5 playing cards, the odds of being dealt any straight are 254 to 1, and a flush is 508 to 1. This is without a 'draw' or jokers.

This is the deck that is stacked against the Caribbean grads.

As far as Mexican goes, I am unaware of any Mexican grad in a US ortho program, but assuming that there are 3 or so, the odds would be 1050 to 1, worse than getting dealt a full house (693 to 1).

There are some limitations to these assumptions, but they are a rough estimate of the odds that face Caribbean grads.

People need to be careful and informed before going 'all in'.

bankingdom said:

I was going to say the same thing, but the people I know had REAL connections (and, in fact, my buddy who had 250/260 and was the MODEL of ortho couldn't get any love), and then I see this. What's more striking is Jed Axelrod, who must have transferred into SUNY-Syracuse - so that's 2 SGU students at SUNY-Buffalo. Moreover, there are more FMG's in that ortho program than I think anywhere I've ever seen.

If you really wanna do ortho, go DO instead of carrib.

I personally know an FMG (not carib.) that matched ortho last year with 222 step 1.

Anyone know the number of FMG's applied versus the number accepted? I cannot find these stats anywhere.

spyyder said:
Anyone know the number of FMG's applied versus the number accepted? I cannot find these stats anywhere.

Its very very low.

From the "NRMP Advanced Data Tables for the 2005 Main Residency Match"...

157 Ortho programs

610 PGY-1 positions offered

560 (91.8%) PGY-1 positions filled by U.S. Seniors and 605 (99.2%) filled by U.S. Seniors and all applicants (includes U.S. Seniors, Canadian students, U.S. Physicians, Osteopaths, 5th pathway applicants, U.S. Foreign grads, and non-U.S. foreign grads)... the breakdown of the 45 positions not taken by U.S. Seniors is not given.

0 PGY-2 positions offered and filled (yes... there have been some in the past)

BUmmedic said:
From the "NRMP Advanced Data Tables for the 2005 Main Residency Match"...

157 Ortho programs

610 PGY-1 positions offered

560 (91.8%) PGY-1 positions filled by U.S. Seniors and 605 (99.2%) filled by U.S. Seniors and all applicants (includes U.S. Seniors, Canadian students, U.S. Physicians, Osteopaths, 5th pathway applicats, U.S. Foreign grads, and non-U.S. foreign grads)... the breakdown of the 45 positions not taken by U.S. Seniors is not given.

0 PGY-2 positions offered and filled (yes... there have been some in the past)

What is a 5th pathway applicant?

NRAI2001 said:
What is a 5th pathway applicant?

The 5th pathway story is LONG and COMPLICATED, but, in a nutshell -

From countries that require a year of social service before getting the degree (such as Mexico and the Phillipines), which is like being an intern before getting your degree, students can apply for 5th pathway programs (I think there's only one left at the NYMC now) and do a "supervised clinical year" in lieu of the social service year - you get a US degree out of it, and you're eligible to go into the match.

The reason it's the "5th pathway" is that there were 4 other ways to get into residency some 36 or so years ago when it was developed.

Even the most minimal amount of research online will give you MUCH more info on the topic.

Apollyon said:
The 5th pathway story is LONG and COMPLICATED, but, in a nutshell -

From countries that require a year of social service before getting the degree (such as Mexico and the Phillipines), which is like being an intern before getting your degree, students can apply for 5th pathway programs (I think there's only one left at the NYMC now) and do a "supervised clinical year" in lieu of the social service year - you get a US degree out of it, and you're eligible to go into the match.

The reason it's the "5th pathway" is that there were 4 other ways to get into residency some 36 or so years ago when it was developed.

Even the most minimal amount of research online will give you MUCH more info on the topic.

So if you do the 5th pathway are you still considered an FMG?

From the AMA-ASSN website on becoming a MD...

What is a pathway?

A pathway is an approved avenue to residency training at a U.S. hospital, which completes a medical student’s education. Before 1971, there were four pathways:

1. Graduation from a U.S. medical school
2. Certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
3. Full and unrestricted licensure by a U.S. licensing jurisdiction
4. Passing the Spanish language licensing examination in Puerto Rico.

But in 1971, a new pathway was created – the Fifth Pathway.

What is the Fifth Pathway?

An avenue by which students who have attended four years at a foreign medical school may complete their supervised clinical work at a U.S. medical school, become eligible for entry to U.S. residency training, and ultimately obtain a license to practice in the U.S.

Who can qualify for a Fifth Pathway?

Only students who:

Graduated from an accredited American college or university; Studied medicine at a medical school located outside the United States that is listed in World Health Organization's World Directory of Medical Schools and which requires a year or more of internship/social service (beyond the four years of medical school) before receiving a medical degree; Completed all formal requirements of their foreign medical school except the final year(s) of clinical work/social service.

How are Fifth Pathway students different from International Medical Graduates?

Fifth Pathway students do not graduate from a foreign medical school. They leave early, and complete a final year of medical training in the U.S.

Fifth Pathway students receive no medical diploma from the U.S. medical school sponsoring their Fifth Pathway year of clinical education. They receive a ‘Certificate of Completion,’ which is accepted in lieu of a diploma in virtually all U.S. licensing jurisdictions.

The Fifth Pathway certificate is the Fifth Pathway physician’s medical credential. Program policy is governed by the AMA, which also serves as the national, primary source credential verification for these physicians.

Just another point... the 0.8% of PGY-1 positions that were not filled last year amounts to three slots, and all belonged to the same program: Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ (which lost its accreditation due to lack of faculty/staff).