Any UOP Alumni doing Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Druggie

Druggie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got into UOP! I was wondering if there are any UOP alumni who are doing or did residency after graduating? I'm really interested in clinical pharmacy and specializing in oncology pharmacy and was wondering if you feel like UOP prepared you well for your residency. Also, did you feel like you were just as competitive for the residency position as other candidates from schools with a better reputation, like UCSF? How about if you want to stay in Stockton and do residency? Was there a lot of opportunities to do that? I think only St. Joseph's and San Joaquin Hospitals have residencies right? I would like to keep an open mind about what I want to do later on, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do retail and I've heard that UOP are not as focused on clinical pharmacy, but that it's a good place to go to if you're interested in retail pharmacy. Could some of you UOP graduates shed some light about your UOP experiences and if it prepared you for residencies?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UOP does focus heavily on retail pharmacy, as is apparent with the clout of ASP here at UOP. It doesn't matter what area of pharmacy you want go in, all schools will prepare you for any type of field you're looking to enter. Just because UOP is known as more retail-focused doesn't mean anything. Many of the faculty do their research in Clinical Pharmacy, so finding something of interest won't be difficult.

You're correct in that St. Joe's and San Joaquin are the two local hospitals that offer residencies.

Your focus in pharmacy will all depend on the path you take, not which school you attend.

Pete

Approximately 10% of the students do go on to do residencies at UOP. Currently the CSHP chapter at UOP is trying to get more accurate figures.

As for work experience, it is harder to get. St. Joes only take volunteers. County takes 5 ppl approx a year. Dameron hospital takes 2 ppl a year.

Feel free to msg me if you have more questions