Anyone know what are Md's board passing rates vs osteo's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntGod22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just was wondering what were the differences in the Md vs D.O step 1 and step 2 uslme passing rates, anyone know a site where I can find this information. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

in 2001, among 1st-time testers, allopathic students passed 91% of the time; osteopathic rate was 72%.

-from first aid for step-1.
'

thanks, we do much better , kewl

Members don't see this ad :)
However, as I understand it, on the USMLE step 2 the passing rates are similar for MDs and DOs.

keep in mind,

osteopathic schools dont actively prepare students to take Step 1, just comlex I.

Since I haven't taken either nor am I enrolled in an osteopathic school. I can't compare anything.

I just know from reading online and from my own classes, that professors tend to give you tips and hints about things we'd prob see on the shelf exams or Step I.

Considering I also go to Ross.

I think the 70% step 1 pass rate of DO students is deceptively low.

We prob have similar MCAT and undergrad gpa ranges to that of a DO school and our pass rate is around 88% for Step 1.

I think it has to do more with the DO curriculum for basic sciences versus that of an allopathic student. Not on the quality of the students who attend either school of thought.

also basic sciences mean squat in the long run of who makes a good doctor and who doesnt.

Step II shows that.

Originally posted by Buster Douglas
:rolleyes:

USMLE Step II
Allopathic 93%
Osteopathic 90%

www.usmle.org

All those DOs who didn't pass or do well on step I probably didn't go on to take step II if they did I'm sure it'd be lower. Most likely only those DOs who did well on step I went on to take step II. There is obviously some self selection for step II, most likely only DOs schools best and brightest take the steps cause they want a good allo res.

Originally posted by What the pho
All those DOs who didn't pass or do well on step I probably didn't go on to take step II if they did I'm sure it'd be lower. Most likely only those DOs who did well on step I went on to take step II. There is obviously some self selection for step II, most likely only DOs schools best and brightest take the steps cause they want a good allo res.
"probably...most likely...obviously...most likely..." :sleep:

What the pho, I've gotten into this with you before. You can pick the puzzle apart a billion different ways.

AntGod22, what was the purpose of this thread?

you guys are first years, no?

I am too. It just seems like a pre-med and first year sort of thing to get hung up on cr8p like this. Most 3rd years and beyond that I know are totally unconcerned with how far or close DOs are on the tail of MDs in board exams.

Why do you care who does better on the boards? Will it make you a better doctor? Not necessarily. Will it make you happier? Probably not in the long run.

If you need to point to perceived deficiencies in your future colleagues' performance on board exams to make yourself feel better, or more "kewl" as you put it, then go for it.

Whatever helps you feel better or more important.

If I remember correctly AntGod was set on going to a DO school until he was pulled off the waitlist at Drexel. Maybe he doesn't like Drexel and is looking for a reason to justify not going DO.

Originally posted by sophiejane
Why do you care who does better on the boards? Will it make you a better doctor? Not necessarily. Will it make you happier? Probably not in the long run.

Well put.

what DO's choose to take USMLE? there may be a selection bias going on there, though i'm not trying to argue the whole MD vs. DO thing. i'm just wondering. is it usually the cream of the crop DO's who take the USMLE's or not? i have no idea...just trying to figure out why they would be going for that vs. COMLEX?
i would assume the two tests are fairly comparable in terms of passing rates but may test slightly different skill sets. is this true?

The DOs that are trying for competitive MD residencies take the USMLE in order to be on the same playing field as their MD counterparts. That is how I understand it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lola
what DO's choose to take USMLE? there may be a selection bias going on there, though i'm not trying to argue the whole MD vs. DO thing. i'm just wondering. is it usually the cream of the crop DO's who take the USMLE's or not? i have no idea...just trying to figure out why they would be going for that vs. COMLEX?
i would assume the two tests are fairly comparable in terms of passing rates but may test slightly different skill sets. is this true?

DO students take the USMLE so that allopathic PDs have a much easier time comparing them to other applicants. From what I've heard, COMLEX and USMLE step 1 are fairly dissimilar tests, while both step 2s are very similar.

The reason why I started this thread was to prove to my loser osteopathic friends who most likely are posting **** on this thread at the moment that Allopathic do much better then Osteopathic on the USLME step 1. Here is the info I found directly from the Student Doctor Network regarding 2000 step 1 board scores

What is the pass rate for the USMLE Step 1?

In 2000, the pass rates for first-time takers from US and Canadian allopathic medical schools was 93% and the pass rates for first-time takers from US osteopathic schools was 77%. Among foreign medical graduates, 65% passed the examination on their first attempt in 2000.*

And for slickness: i was never on the drexel waitlist asswipe, I was accepted straight in, then I left my osteopathic spots at PCOM, and UNECOM, and NYCOM behind. I wouldnt dream of going to any of those schools now over drexel. If u saw drexel you would know what I mean. but thanks for trying to slander my post anyways, dip****

Originally posted by AntGod22
The reason why I started this thread was to prove to my loser osteopathic friends who most likely are posting **** on this thread at the moment that Allopathic do much better then Osteopathic on the USLME step 1. Here is the info I found directly from the Student Doctor Network regarding 2000 step 1 board scores

In 2000, the pass rates for first-time takers from US and Canadian allopathic medical schools was 93% and the pass rates for first-time takers from US osteopathic schools was 77%. Among foreign medical graduates, 65% passed the examination on their first attempt in 2000.*

And for slickness: i was never on the drexel waitlist asswipe, I was accepted straight in, then I left my osteopathic spots at PCOM, and UNECOM, and NYCOM behind. I wouldnt dream of going to any of those schools now over drexel. If u saw drexel you would know what I mean. but thanks for trying to slander my post anyways, dip****
I saw Drexel and was accepted there. The campus was nice but it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

Anyways, why don't you relax. There's no need to cuss me out. I apologize for what I said.

If you read my post, I said maybe you wished you went DO over MD. Someone had asked why you made the post. Oh and I bet your osteopathic friends are real losers. :rolleyes:

Just chill.

On the reverse, I wonder what would be the COMLEX 1 pass rates for first-time takers from US and Canadian allopathic medical schools, and the pass rates for first-time takers from US osteopathc schools? My bet would be that DO students have a much higher % pass rate than those MD students.

The fact of the matter is that MD and DO schools have different curriculums. One prepares its students for USMLE while the other prepares its students for COMLEX. The same thing can be said that Red Wings will lose a basketball game to the Lakers, and the Lakers will lose a hockey game to the Wings. As simple as that.

ok man its cool.

for goforit, i would assume allopaths would do poorer then osteopaths on the comlex, due to the fact that we arent trained in OMM, which I think makes up a nice part of the exam maybe like a quarter or so. Not really sure. but if you were to say take out the OMM derived questions I would assume the two tests shouldnt be that much different fundamentally. If u think different please explain that one to me.

Originally posted by ajc
ok man its cool.

for goforit, i would assume allopaths would do poorer then osteopaths on the comlex, due to the fact that we arent trained in OMM, which I think makes up a nice part of the exam maybe like a quarter or so. Not really sure. but if you were to say take out the OMM derived questions I would assume the two tests shouldnt be that much different fundamentally. If u think different please explain that one to me.

COMLEX step 1 has no biochem or biostats. It is clinically oriented like step 2 should be. USMLE step 1 has biochem and biostats and is not that clinically oriented- more basic sciences than anything else. Therefore, while it is possible to study for both tests simultaneously, the two tests are quite different. Both exams are more similar for step 2.

Originally posted by GoForIt
On the reverse, I wonder what would be the COMLEX 1 pass rates for first-time takers from US and Canadian allopathic medical schools, and the pass rates for first-time takers from US osteopathc schools? My bet would be that DO students have a much higher % pass rate than those MD students.

MD student wouldn't want to take the silly complex anyway cuz we don't want sub standard osteo residencies even if we were allowed to apply to them. And if you took out the OMM in complex my bet is MD student would score higher then DO, cuz we have a proven track recording of better academic achievement then DO students (e.g. sat, mcat, gpa).

6 is less than half a baker's dozen

A NEUTRON WALKS INTO A BAR AND ASKS THE BARTENDER "HOW MUCH FOR A DRINK" THE BARTENDER TURNS AROUND AND SAYS TO HIM " FOR YOU NO CHARGE"

LAME JOKES LIKE THIS MAKES MEDICAL SCHOOL GO BY EASIER

The reason why I started this thread was to prove to my loser osteopathic friends who most likely are posting **** on this thread at the moment that Allopathic do much better then Osteopathic on the USLME step 1.

With your priorities, I hope you never take care of anyone I love.

M.

MD student wouldn't want to take the silly complex anyway cuz we don't want sub standard osteo residencies even if we were allowed to apply to them.

The reason why I started this thread was to prove to my loser osteopathic friends who most likely are posting ****

Wow, that is serious penis envy. You two must be a couple of 3 inchers. Did some chick laugh at you at the party last night? :confused:

You're going to make a wonderful allopath one day.

Just curious, how many D.O. schools does someone who hates Osteopathic medicine apply to? Little paranoid about your stats?

What a boner.

As many as I wanted to which was 6. **** If I didnt get into a m.d. school I would of been perfectly content going to a osteopathic, but that didnt happen :clap:

Yo, dude if you are going to slam DOs I would'nt boast about going to drexel- that school is practically equal to DO (evidenced by your admission schools- 3 DO and drexel)

oh yeah i like the school you go to to. kiss my ass and be my nurse

wouldn't it be ironic if you were part of the lowly 7%? a good number of people failed last year at my school (umich). being at a certain school, let alone a degree program (i.e. md vs do) does not guarantee anyone success.

very true, ill make sure not to be apart of that. but of those 7% they must of retook the exam a second time and hopefully did better ?

be my nurse

Least you have the right attitude for medicine. Thank God you're going to M.D. school instead. Let them have to deal with you.

This is pretty ridiculous. Stop being an embarrasment to my school antgod and relax man! Take this childish nonsense to the pre-allo forum. You've barely begun med school dude and haven't even passed step one. All in favor of closing this thread??? Got one here...

You guys are funny. :) You sound like a bunch of high school jocks in the locker room comparing sizes.

If anyone is interested in a related statistic, when Florida opened it up for foreign-trained MD's to be able to take the PA certifying exam to practice as physician assistants, their pass rate was 6%.

Let's just get out there and do what we can. Lots of people who need us to work as a team right now, no matter what our jockstrap size is.

ajc posted 12-10-2003 09:43 PM

Dude! I do not want to continue this MD vs DO stuff. It's only for premeds and immature folks.

So. How about this. If the Lakers are not allowed to rebound (offensively and defensively) and dunk, I think Red Wings have a much better chance to win a basketball game. Don't you think so?

Originally posted by sleep deprived
You know it's funny because I have been a lurker on these forums for years. I didn't start posting till recently. I tried to look up Antgod's old posts and I guess he deleted some of his old threads he started. I wanted to put put links to them right here. There was a time when antgod was actually Pro-DO pushing osteopathy on everyone. He went to NYIT which is NYCOM's parent school and he even knew Dr. Dowling who was the chair of NYCOM's OMM department. He claimed he spent time studying osteopathic principles with Dr. Dowling and he put up posts about Osteopathy and what it meant to become a "real DO" who was true to the profession. He claimed he wanted to be a DO! He put up posts about his crummy MCAT score and asked people if they thought he could get into a DO school with them, as he really wanted to be a true DO who represented the profession properly! I guess he couldn't get into a DO school with his first MCAT score because he had to retake his MCAT. Congrats Antgod on doing better the second time, I remember you posting your marked improvement. I do congratulate you on that. I can't dig up Antgods old threads he started, but if I could I would provide the links to them right here. But I guess everyone reading this, will just have to take it from the lurker who remembers. Hey Antgod, you never know who is reading your posts. You never know who will remember!
As for why he started this thread, to affirm the choice he made to go MD, as well as boost his seemingly low self esteem.

:laugh:

pwned

:laugh:

As for why he started this thread, to affirm the choice he made to go MD
Well, I basically thought this was the case, but Antgod jumped on my back when I mentioned it.

Just for clarification from a previous poster: the COMLEX does include biochem however does not contain biostat questions.

Currently in my "library" as an MS1:
BRS physiology
BRS Biochem
BRS Path
BRS Gross
BRS Micro.............................
1st aid for the USMLE

I'm sure all this looks very familiar. It's all the same dude!!

You know it's funny because I have been a lurker on these forums for years. I didn't start posting till recently. I tried to look up Antgod's old posts and I guess he deleted some of his old threads he started. I wanted to put put links to them right here. There was a time when antgod was actually Pro-DO pushing osteopathy on everyone. He went to NYIT which is NYCOM's parent school and he even knew Dr. Dowling who was the chair of NYCOM's OMM department. He claimed he spent time studying osteopathic principles with Dr. Dowling and he put up posts about Osteopathy and what it meant to become a "real DO" who was true to the profession. He claimed he wanted to be a DO! He put up posts about his crummy MCAT score and asked people if they thought he could get into a DO school with them, as he really wanted to be a true DO who represented the profession properly! I guess he couldn't get into a DO school with his first MCAT score because he had to retake his MCAT. Congrats Antgod on doing better the second time, I remember you posting your marked improvement. I do congratulate you on that. I can't dig up Antgods old threads he started, but if I could I would provide the links to them right here. But I guess everyone reading this, will just have to take it from the lurker who remembers. Hey Antgod, you never know who is reading your posts. You never know who will remember!
As for why he started this thread, to affirm the choice he made to go MD, as well as boost his seemingly low self esteem.

Now that is freakin' funny.

How's this? (By the way, it took me less than 10 minutes to find these).

Then...

...i always was applying only D.O. I even took a osteopathic principles and practice class at NYCOM thru my college NYIT. I really want to become a D.O. I just hope I can make it.
The post

or

... I on the other hand am interested in becoming a D.O. , i will apply to NYCOM this summer. I will also apply to MD schools just because the state schools are cheaper and I also like the research aspect. I am a true person who isnt fake. If you plan on going thru your whole life as a MD in a D.O. body go ahead, have fun. But I know that in my heart I will choose the one that I truely want to be. So goodnite and goodluck.
The post

And now...

The reason why I started this thread was to prove to my loser osteopathic friends who most likely are posting **** on this thread at the moment that Allopathic do much better then Osteopathic on the USLME step 1.

Nice to know you are a true person who isn't fake.

Bonejob.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Fenrezz, that was beautiful yet so sad at the same time.

I just wonder how long he's going to spend going through all my posts now. ;)

I knew I was'nt the only one who remembered that. I called him on some dumb-@ss remarks he made when he was slamming NYCOM. He once posted a thread about "the best way to cheat using a scientific calculator". Of course, he deleted the original thread as soon as I linked to it. What a tool.:rolleyes:

Here it is

Originally posted by Green912
Just for clarification from a previous poster: the COMLEX does include biochem however does not contain biostat questions.

You are incorrect. COMLEX does not contain any direct biochem questions. There may be some biochem incorporated into a pathology question- but that doesn't count.

Originally posted by timerick
If anyone is interested in a related statistic, when Florida opened it up for foreign-trained MD's to be able to take the PA certifying exam to practice as physician assistants, their pass rate was 6%.

Yeah, recently in Ohio, LPNs were allowed to sit for USMLE Step 1, and their pass rate was 85.3%

Go figure!

I think we're arguing semantics. The COMLEX may not have a free standing biochem section, however including a few enzyme/disorder questons in each system adds up pretty quickly. In whatever form you choose, a question that tests you knowledge CK, PKU, aldolase-B.... does count.

"Level 1

Level 1 is constructed according to the integrated test blueprint shown in Table 1. Candidates are expected to demonstrate basic science knowledge relevant to medical problems defined by the Level 1 blueprint. Level 1 emphasizes the medical concepts and principles necessary for understanding the mechanisms of medical problems and disease processes.

Level 1 is a two-day, written multiple-choice examination covering the basic medical sciences of anatomy, behavioral science, biochemistry, microbiology, osteopathic principles, pathology, pharmacology, physiology and other areas relevant to medical problems defined by the Level 1 blueprint. The examination consists of four test books, each given in a four-hour test session, containing questions related to all clinical presentations and disciplines. "

http://www.nbome.org/

Wow you guys really dont have any thing else better then to look up old information on my old posts. Sorry I havent written back but I was busy studying for my important block of real exams at a real medical school. Yeah I used to like osteopathy, I still do. But I also like bashing my friends for the hell of it. Why because its fun. And If I didnt bring up my MCAT so much the second time I would of been stuck going to a D.O. school plain and simple. I would of been very content going to any of the ones I got into. But I didnt have to and Im happy for it. I realize that in my school we go much more in depth in all of the subjects then any of the people I know at NYCOM do. Our immunology course alone probably goes 3 to 4 times more in depth then the seconds years at NYCOM do in there immuno course. Same goes with our genetics. I didnt start this thread to make a big uproar or anything. Obiously a lot of bored osteopaths with nothing better to do enjoy peering into the allopathic world to check a glimpse of what they truely want.
Funny thing I havent been in the osteopathic forum in a damn long time, probably around the time I thought that it was all I could make, was when I was last. Why cant you guys just be content with yourselves and stop trying to constantly prove to everyone that you are doctors too. I know this, but its when you constantly whine about this fact, that causes the abuse you rightly deserve.
So just stick to your board and I'll stick to mine.
By the way so if a board question asks you something that has a biochem influence that isnt considered to draw on ones biochem education? makes no sense to me what a earlier poster said about not having to really worry about biochem being a problem on the comlex.
Time to get back to actually studying

Yeah I used to like osteopathy, I still do. But I also like bashing my friends for the hell of it. Why because its fun
With friends like that who needs............
my school we go much more in depth in all of the subjects then any of the people I know at NYCOM do. Our immunology course alone probably goes 3 to 4 times more in depth then the seconds years at NYCOM do in there immuno course. Same goes with our genetics
More likely it's a matter of course set-up. My "micro course" had very little virology, which is instead saved for each individual system.
Obiously a lot of bored osteopaths with nothing better to do enjoy peering into the allopathic world to check a glimpse of what they truely want
There's simply a greater volume of posting on the Allo board about many of the same issues. However when an Osteo thread pops up don't be suprised to get a response from D.O. students.

Happy studying!

It has become clear now. AntGod has friends at NYCOM because he is from New York. Most likely NYCOM was right by his house or something where all his friends were going. His friends are now teasing him that he went to Drexel and now he's all by himself and hates it. However, his justification is that it's an MD and not a DO. Thus, it makes him feel better to make fun of his NYCOM friends and to ask whether MDs do better than DOs on the USMLE, in order to justify his decision. He knows deep down he made a mistake to go away from his friends and now he is bitter. He copes with it by putting down osteopathic schools because it allows him to keep going.