Apparently Midlevels may soon have interstate telehealth options…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a non-sequitur to your post, but it seems like as good a place as any to ask--

For those of you who are familiar with mid-level pre-licensure supervision practices, what is that system like? I've always assumed it was standardized, much like how APA won't accredit programs unless they provide a minimum ratio of supervision to clinical contact hours, but I'm seeing information online which suggests that the extent to which midlevels get high-quality supervision is actually very widely variable.

I'm wondering:

(a) Is it as variable as some folks make it seem? and

(b) If yes to (a), is that because most supervision for midlevels happens outside the context of a built-in program trainee clinic, but rather inside CMH and other centers after they've already graduated with their degree?

With psychologists already doing this via PsyPact, I'm not sure there's much of an argument against it, assuming they're adhering to guidelines in both states (i.e., where they are and where the patient is). Personally, if they're practicing within the scope of their license, I don't know that I have a problem with it. Unless I'm missing something.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a non-sequitur to your post, but it seems like as good a place as any to ask--

For those of you who are familiar with mid-level pre-licensure supervision practices, what is that system like? I've always assumed it was standardized, much like how APA won't accredit programs unless they provide a minimum ratio of supervision to clinical contact hours, but I'm seeing information online which suggests that the extent to which midlevels get high-quality supervision is actually very widely variable.

I'm wondering:

(b) If yes to (a), is that because most supervision for midlevels happens outside the context of a built-in program trainee clinic, but rather inside CMH and other centers after they've already graduated with their degree?
So, I was licensed as a LPC in Illinois prior to obtaining my PhD (they don't have a special master's level designation for clinical psychology masters).

There are varying requirements for licensure. For example, Michigan doesn't recognize supervision experience prior to mater's degree earned. Both Missouri and Illinois have different requirements for practicum hours.

I feel like most folks getting post-degree supervision either get it through CMH or pay for it out of pocket. It can vary widely in terms of what is being supervised.

I feel like I got WAY better supervision at the doctoral level.

Reactions: 1 user
I know of a social worker living in Mexico in his house who practices virtually in my state. His organization has been trying to find a way to fire him but apparently it’s legal.
Wow. Is he licensed in your state? If not, that seems like an issue, even if Mexico doesn't care whether or not he's licensed.

So, I was licensed as a LPC in Illinois prior to obtaining my PhD (they don't have a special master's level designation for clinical psychology masters).

There are varying requirements for licensure. For example, Michigan doesn't recognize supervision experience prior to mater's degree earned. Both Missouri and Illinois have different requirements for practicum hours.

I feel like most folks getting post-degree supervision either get it through CMH or pay for it out of pocket. It can vary widely in terms of what is being supervised.

I feel like I got WAY better supervision at the doctoral level.
Thanks for the explanation. Do you happen to know if the accreditation bodies for master's counseling programs (MPCAC, CACREP) have supervision requirements for the purposes of program accreditation?

Thanks for the explanation. Do you happen to know if the accreditation bodies for master's counseling programs (MPCAC, CACREP) have supervision requirements for the purposes of program accreditation?
CACREP does. My program wasn't accredited because it was a master's in clinical psychology, not counseling.

You do realize that psychologists are midlevels, right?

It’s why we have to have a physician referral for Medicare. That’s like the entire thing with the APA and lobbyists

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I'm wondering:

In WI we are required to have 2000 hours of clinical practice before we can become independently licensed. For every 40 hours worked, we require 1 hour of supervision. This can be individual or group supervision. Supervision can be provided by a psychiatrist, psychologist, LPC, or LCSW. I believe you can petition the state licensing board for a LMFT, if they can prove equivalency.

I believe in WI you cannot become a supervisor as a LPC until you have 5 years of independent licensure. I was fortunate to have majority of my supervision provided by psychologists that were employed at our agency. I never had to pay for supervision, but I know a few who have.

In WI we are required to have 2000 hours of clinical practice before we can become independently licensed. For every 40 hours worked, we require 1 hour of supervision. This can be individual or group supervision. Supervision can be provided by a psychiatrist, psychologist, LPC, or LCSW. I believe you can petition the state licensing board for a LMFT, if they can prove equivalency.

I believe in WI you cannot become a supervisor as a LPC until you have 5 years of independent licensure. I was fortunate to have majority of my supervision provided by psychologists that were employed at our agency. I never had to pay for supervision, but I know a few who have.
Thanks for the info! To be clear, the onus to get appropriate supervision is on you, as the student? Just figuring all this out because I have a keen interest in career mentorship and it's good to have a full grasp on how each path approaches these things (generally, of course there are state-by-state differences).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! To be clear, the onus to get appropriate supervision is on you, as the student? Just figuring all this out because I have a keen interest in career mentorship and it's good to have a full grasp on how each path approaches these things (generally, of course there are state-by-state differences).
No problem. I agree, it is so important that when you are seeking supervision that you secure an appropriate supervisor.

I'm wondering:

There are also some quirks in licensure regs from state-to-state. For example, LMHC licensure requirements allow for supervision by, for example, psychologist or licensed clinical social workers, but 75% of all supervision must come from a MA licensed LMHC or equivalent licensee in another state.