Application Tips with Apply Point: An Overview of the MMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The MMI is like an obstacle course. It can be a lot of fun—or it can lead to you flailing and tripping all over the place. Many applicants find the MMI stressful but that often changes after their first experience. “We survey applicants after their MMI and most say they enjoyed it,” one admissions team member told us.

During the MMI, interviewers are at different "stations." The number of stations varies; a school might have only a handful and follow them with a short one-on-one behavioral interview or they could have 10 stations and no behavioral interview at all. While some stations are less common than others, you will 100% have to address character-proving moral and ethical scenarios.

Interviewers will not test your medical knowledge but could seek to suss out your awareness of healthcare policy and will put you in hypothetical patient-facing situations to assess your critical thinking and communication skills. Beyond verbal Q&A sessions, there could be an actor interaction or role-playing element, a team-based challenge, a picture station where you describe an image, or a writing station where you respond to a presented scenario.

There could also be wild card discussion topics that have nothing to do with medicine. “Sometimes applicants are stumped by arguably super-easy prompts like ‘Explain the plot of your favorite book,’” one admissions officer told us. “They spiral and think: What am I really being tested on here? Will they hate my taste in books? One applicant asked in a panic: ‘What if I don’t read? Can I do a movie?’” The admissions pro assured us that the book a candidate chooses has zero impact on their score. “A prompt like this is to test how clearly you can explain something,” she said. “And the reason we ask that you tell us about your ‘favorite’ is only because it’s something you’re well-versed in—this is meant to take off pressure, not add it.”

At each station, you'll have one or two minutes to consider your answer and five to eight (depending on the school) to respond. They're giving you so much time so you can weigh the pros and cons of every scenario and/or decision you're considering. It's the thought process that they're testing you on here. How you think exemplifies certain skills and traits. In your responses, you can bring in examples from your personal experiences to back up your reasoning. If you finish early, don't panic. Your interviewer will likely ask follow-up questions regarding your answer. These questions will tell you what to extrapolate on and emphasize.

Check out our blog and follow us on Instagram for more news and trends in medical school admissions.

Members don't see this ad.