Applying to IM as backup, ok to apply categorical and Prelim at same place?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bashful-llama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I saw some previous advice on this question that was 4-5 years old so I wanted to post again and see if opinions had changed. I am a 4th year student applying to an advanced specialty and then using IM as my backup. Can I apply to an IM categorical position and a prelim position at the same place or will they know I am applying for an advanced and using IM as a backup and subsequently rank me low? Thank you for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a bad idea. The faculty likely overlap if they’re not exactly the same people.

I.e., the PD of my TY was the associate PD of the categorical program.

Probably a bad idea. The faculty likely overlap if they’re not exactly the same people.

I.e., the PD of my TY was the associate PD of the categorical program.
Figured they were probably the same faculty, but wasn't sure what the protocol would be if they came across an applicant that applied both. Would they assume you were applying to a different specialty or just that you really wanted to go to their program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured they were probably the same faculty, but wasn't sure what the protocol would be if they came across an applicant that applied both. Would they assume you were applying to a different specialty or just that you really wanted to go to their program?
They’d assume it’s a backup. They’re smart people. They know what’s up.