Are you able to use federal loans for car payments/repairs/buying a new car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm probably going to use an unsubsidized loan and the GRAD PLUS loan to pay for med school. I don't have much in my savings to last me for personal expenses, and I'm wondering if federal loans in medical school are different from undergrad in that you can use your loan money to pay for rent. In addition, in the case my car needs repairs can you use loan money for that too?
I'm only asking as a few friends got in trouble for using loan refund money to pay for rent on nice apartments in the city during undergrad. I also don't want to defer medical school acceptance another year because I don't have enough in savings but I'm slowly wondering if I need to :/

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have a choice for medical school all you can do to pay for it is unsub staffords and grad plus. The key for you is to live as cheaply as possible. You need to make sure you have enough money for cost of living but don't go overboard. That money has to be paid back with high interest.