Best Specialty Lifestyle/Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifestyle=few emergencies, good pay

1. Derm
2. Radiation oncology
3. Pathology
4. Plastic surgery-cosmetics
5. Opthalmology
6. Allergy
7. Rheumatology
8. Endocrinology

hey now, what about rads?

Members don't see this ad :)
The radiology lifestyle is not as good as you think. The call can be frequent and busy depending on how large a group you join. The lifestyle will only get worse as technology advances and more studies are ordered at night with fewer radiologists to read them.

Although the money in private practice is good, you will sweat for each penny! Good luck.

The R-O-A-D to happiness!

Radiology
Ophtalmology
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

:D :D :D

Best lifestyle (hours):
allergy and immunology
rheumatology
endocrinology
infectious diseases

Best pay:
cardiology
GI
allergy and immunology

Rads in an academic environment! :)

I have NEVER seen attending radiologists in the hospital later than 6 or so. But I HAVE seen (cosmetic) plastic surgeons, ID docs, cardiologists, etc.

Besides, technology advances also let you read scans at home...if you have to work, wouldn't you rather be able to do it with a cup of hot chocolate and your pajamas on? :)

RADS is by far the best work/pay ratio in medicine. We are only going to be in more demand in the future. We will have to work harder, but it still is nothing compared to what our clinician collegues have to deal with.

PM&R...when was the last time you need stat rehab? i think its the best combination of great lifestyle, great pay and satisfaction from what you do to help patients. and physiatrists also tend to keep things in perspective since everyone always puts them down, as opposed to say the dermatologists or plastic surgeons. ooooo, i worked from 9-2 today and zapped a pimple. now gimme my rolls-royce!

i'd replace the R with REHAB. rads isn't as easy as you think. yeah, its nice to be sipping on hot chocolate while wearing your pajamas in a dark, cold room with dictaphones crawling all around you. dude, you better get paid well for voluntarily being in jail q12 hours.

The R-O-A-D to happiness!

REHAB!
Ophtalmology
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

Depending on the group, ID can be extremely busy. Several of the ID physicians I encountered had very busy inpatient services, managing over 40 patients apiece. Their lifestyles were not anywhere near as laid back as previously suggested. This is not to say that such lifestyles do not exist; however, in my experience they are more the exception than the norm.

Originally posted by gwen
PM&R...when was the last time you need stat rehab? i think its the best combination of great lifestyle, great pay and satisfaction from what you do to help patients. and physiatrists also tend to keep things in perspective since everyone always puts them down, as opposed to say the dermatologists or plastic surgeons. ooooo, i worked from 9-2 today and zapped a pimple. now gimme my rolls-royce!

I have to concur...a friend was looking into it, and he clued me in. He said, "9-5, no nights, no weekends, and no self-respecting PM&R doc is in the office past 1pm on Friday". Pay is good, and the only emergency is a broken leg, and that's a tech's job. And, if you look at it, if you bill $900, you get reimbursed 100%, because you're saving insurance companies $100/day on inpatient costs (calculating at $1000/day). No matter what the hospital charges, charge 10% less, and you get 100%. If you want to be in business in medicine, PM&R is the way.

The minus? Deathly boring. However, if you do NOT find it boring, it's a paradise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to disagree with the road to hapiness's "A"
Anaesthesiology has crazy lawsuits...
Lawsuits take away happiness...
Don't need that kind of money....
Psych, Rehab, Ophthal, Derma...
PRODding to happiness...

Many of the ID docs I have seen can be extremely busy. I would not place them on "the lifestyle" list.

No one who could get into Rads would pick rehab instead. Rehab is the domain for the bottom of the class. Sorry, but the truth hurts. This is not even including IR, which is awesome. Obviously, some people don't have a firm grip on reality.

RADRULES,

PM&R and radiology are completely different fields which attract people with separate interests. Most people who choose PM&R would likely not even consider radiology as an alternative. So stop being an a$$.

All the people I know that are or will be going into radiology are laid back, friendly people, many being rather soft spoken. It seems there's a personality "type" that fits well into radiology. In my opinion, it would seem foolish to enter radiology just for its hours and money. You typically have fairly limited interactions with actual patients and if you're not truly interested in the field, I imagine those short days could become pretty long and drawn out in the end. On the other hand, maybe you'd forget all about work on your way home in a pimp-daddy mobile... :p

Yeah, I was being a bit of an a$$, but I speak the truth. Rehab is not even in the same league as rads, sorry, but it isn't. And don't give me any bs about people picking rehab over rads. This is not to say that rehab is an inferior specialty, I am sure it has its interesting points. But, rads is the pinnacle of medicine for sure.

I remember maybe 2 people interested in rehab in my med school class, versus probably 20 in rads, half of which were AOA. Rads is the **** and that is the botom line.

Originally posted by bartholomew
All the people I know that are or will be going into radiology are laid back, friendly people, many being rather soft spoken. It seems there's a personality "type" that fits well into radiology. In my opinion, it would seem foolish to enter radiology just for its hours and money. You typically have fairly limited interactions with actual patients and if you're not truly interested in the field, I imagine those short days could become pretty long and drawn out in the end. On the other hand, maybe you'd forget all about work on your way home in a pimp-daddy mobile... :p

Which school are you coming from?

My experience is the opposite. People going into rads in my school have good grades and have worked hard (i.e. gunners). Don't you also need to be a little anal to go into rads so you don't miss anything small on the film, which could be a disaster?

I find it ironic how a thread about best lifestyle/pay in internal medicine in the internal medicine forum leads to discussion about all specialties outside of internal medicine. Oh well, I guess the take home message is to not go into internal medicine for lifestyle or pay. ;)

Dunno, maybe I'm biased for some reason. I've met plenty of smart people who have done terrific in medical school without being "anal" or having "gunner" mentalities.

In any case, of the dozen or so people I know who have matched into Rads, only one or two of them were AOA, their class rankings were good, (not necessarily excellent), and the board scores I'm aware of were all over 230. For what thats worth.

PS. It seems to me that everyone one in medicine should be meticulous about their work, how is radiology any different?:)

ckent

Maybe the people that go into internal medicine don't base their career decisions on comparing salaries and vacation time!? ;)

ckent...
totally off the topic...
that avatar is sooo cool...
where'd you get it?

Originally posted by Dramkinola
ckent...
totally off the topic...
that avatar is sooo cool...
where'd you get it?

Thanks. I downloaded it from one of my superman fan websites and re-sized it. After you get ~50 posts, you will also be able to upload custom avatars.

Originally posted by bartholomew
ckent

Maybe the people that go into internal medicine don't base their career decisions on comparing salaries and vacation time!? ;)

Not that these were the highest priorities in my selection process, but what exactly is the problem with using these critieria as part of the selection process? People in almost every other career or job are allowed to use these criteria and often make this their highest priority but somehow in medicine we are not supposed to consider ourselves. In my opinion its pretty irrational. I have met enough residents in medicine and surgery who hate their lives that it makes me think that maybe they should have considered these factors as part of their critieria in choosing a career.

Hey, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking consideration of time and money in choosing one's medical specialty. It's when people in medicine become driven by money and ego that things seem askew to me. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd like to believe that there's still some nobility in the practice of medicine. ;)

Judging from the most competitive internal medicine subspecialties, cardiology (money and ego) and gastroenterology (money and schedule) I'd say that many in medicine also consider these factors.

Yes, you are naive, but go ahead and try to save the world.... better you than me pal!

haha...
ckent... I have 50?

d'oh...
shoulda read the fine print...

Man, you are an idiot radrules. Pinnacle of medicine, gimme a break. I was interested in rads, even took a month of it. I mean it was cool, but it basically boils down to memorizing differentials and knowing your anatomy.

Yeah, you are right.... rads is easy, any idiot can do it. It is not like we have to know anything about medicine..... hell, we just have to know detailed anatomy including every normal anatomic variant, pathology and the pathologic/radiologic changes associated with different disease states, physiology of all major organ systems, congenital malformation and embyological development, most common clinical manifestations of disease, differential diagnoses, proper indications and how to perform a variety of imaging modalities, nuclear and radiation physics, and of course a variety of interventional procedures.

I am sure IM is much more "intellectual".

I look forward to you displaying more of your tremendous ignorance!

Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex
Not that these were the highest priorities in my selection process, but what exactly is the problem with using these critieria as part of the selection process? People in almost every other career or job are allowed to use these criteria and often make this their highest priority but somehow in medicine we are not supposed to consider ourselves. In my opinion its pretty irrational.

It's not irrational. It's based on the fact that medicine is a "profession," and as a professional you have certain fiduciary duties to your patient (respect autonomy, serve your patient's best interests, do no harm, tell the truth, keep your promises). Implicit in this relationship is that duty to the patient is more important than self-interests like money and vacation time. This is why patients trust us not to sell them services we know they don't need. Some doctors are more faithful to this trust than others. When doctors start talking about the importance of money and vacation time, it LOOKS LIKE they value these things more than their professional duties. That's why people get offended.

I think it's okay to base part of your career decision in medicine on money/lifestyle (as long as your patient comes first within the scope of your practice), but it's smart to do it quietly.

Originally posted by RADRULES
hell, we just have to know detailed anatomy including every normal anatomic variant, pathology and the pathologic/radiologic changes associated with different disease states, physiology of all major organ systems, congenital malformation and embyological development, most common clinical manifestations of disease, differential diagnoses, proper indications and how to perform a variety of imaging modalities, nuclear and radiation physics, and of course a variety of interventional procedures.

Sound like my path and CPS classes to me...and you really have to go through residency for this?;)

Oh yeah, you are totally right radrules. There's no pathophys, or understanding differentials, or any of the other items you rattled off involved in the practice of internal medicine. In fact, why don't we just get rid of internal medicine docs and just let radiologists handle everything since from your post it seems like that's what they should be doing ayways. Boy, I was silly to disagree with you, I mean the level of intellectual knowledge required to place a PICC is so far over my head, I'm glad we have smart guys like you to do it. But on a serious note, 10 years ago, the only people going into rads were the bottom of the barrell in every class. Now all of a sudden its this glamorous profession that's competitive because of 3 reason 1)pay 2)hours 3)a reasonable degree of intellectual satisfaction. Although the degree will never be as challenging or satisfying as internal medicine, it is enough to keep people around to enjoy the money and lifestyle.

Yeah, you are right.... rads is easy, any idiot can do it. It is not like we have to know anything about medicine..... hell, we just have to know detailed anatomy including every normal anatomic variant, pathology and the pathologic/radiologic changes associated with different disease states, physiology of all major organ systems, congenital malformation and embyological development, most common clinical manifestations of disease, differential diagnoses, proper indications and how to perform a variety of imaging modalities, nuclear and radiation physics, and of course a variety of interventional procedures.

I am sure IM is much more "intellectual".

I look forward to you displaying more of your tremendous ignorance!

What is the official plant of the American College of Radiologists?

The hedge!

(One of my best friends is rads...)

Clinical correlation is recommended.

"Although the degree will never be as challenging or satisfying as internal medicine, it is enough to keep people around to enjoy the money and lifestyle."

It is real intellectual to throw every antibiotic at a septic nursing home patient with diabeties, esrd, htn, chf, with decubs to the bone or anticoagulating someone with DVT/PE or treating a 40 y/o outpatient for cholesterol, htn, etc.

Medicine is not theoretical astrophysics. It is a trade. Much like a plumber fixes pipes, we fix people. Everything becomes routine as you advance in your residency and practice. The ONLY thing you can control is lifestyle! This is something that many medical students and residents realize way too late!!

They come on these forums proclaiming how they are real doctors, and how much they help people. Little do they realize, that life is passing them by, as the demands of their patient's overwhelm their family life and leisure. They realize that NO ONE gives a crap what kind of a doctor you are. Prestige? Who cares?

Hey don't holla at me playa, I'm not doing medicine. You make some good points, I was just trying to get at the fact that no one specialty is superior to another. Everything has its pluses and minuses, thats all.

Most internist have to hang on to that "I'm a real doctor" bullsh*t to give them some reason to get up in the morning and go to work. I suppose I am willing to give them that, after all, we do need fleas.

PICC line? Is that your extent of knowledge regarding what radiologist do? Sure, we have our share of mundane tasks, but our specialty is still the most technologically driven and cutting edge in medicine. Now go pass some gas. :D

Sure I'll pass some gas and laugh all the way to the bank as your dumb#ss sits in a dark room and reads normal chest x-rays the whole day. Sounds like fun, where do I sign up? I have a question, if rads is so cutting edge and requires such brilliant people to do, then why can radiology techs at every institution I've worked at read films as well as any attending? And why are films being outsourced to Australia and India if it such an exacting science? Right, you guys might be the innovators of new technology, but then your all too big of pussie#s to hold on to it. I think its hilarious how IRs whine about having to teach the new vascular fellow how to stent cause they know its going to be one more person taking away their business. And thats how its always going to be, IR will end up doing the crap no one else wants to do, and any new and useful technique that comes along will get snatched up by more powerful specialties if they feel like it. You think any primary care is ever going to refer a patient to a radiologist? And I'm sure the poeple on this IM board appreciate your comment about them being fleas.

What is it about the field of medicine (by medicine I'm referring to all specialties not just IM) that attracts people with such wonderful personalities?

All this bickering of "my specialty is better than yours" or "we actually help people, you just prescribe meds".....blah, blah, blah.

It all sounds really stupid and childish.

I once read that the only person in this world that has the right to be arrogant is the man that wins a Nobel Prize and the Gold medal at the Olympic Decathlon. In other words, no such person exists.

Go into whatever specialty you enjoy and find rewarding, do your very best for your patients, get along with the rest of your collegues, and most of all feel comfortable in your own skin. Get some perspective on life and learn to be content.

If you are having to trash other doctors and medical students you need to ask yourself why your self-esteem is so low that you need to do this. Were you a dork in high school? Were you not as good at sports as your Dad wanted you to be?

I think the most important question to ask yourself is this: Why do I need so much prestige?

rads in the pinnacle of medicine? ahahahahhaaha, listen, i (and i'm guessing no specialty) can claim to be the pinnacle of medicine or the most important specialty, that's just ridiculous, even if you say it jokingly. there's a reason why a hospital has different departments, like cards, gi, ortho. i've never seen a hospital made up of radiologists only. so take a reality check before you put down pm&r...just hope that you don't strain your back while reading those films, or else you might need rehab. and oh yeah, i could read your x-ray for you...i've at least learned that much.

and your crap about AOA and all that boosh*t...please, three people from my med school who were aoa, including myself, are going into pmr. i think you're living in the '90s, buddy, times have changed. you're right, there's no comparison btw rads and rehab. LARGE EGO cannot be ruled out.

ciao!

Yeah, I was being a bit of an a$$, but I speak the truth. Rehab is not even in the same league as rads, sorry, but it isn't. And don't give me any bs about people picking rehab over rads. This is not to say that rehab is an inferior specialty, I am sure it has its interesting points. But, rads is the pinnacle of medicine for sure.

I remember maybe 2 people interested in rehab in my med school class, versus probably 20 in rads, half of which were AOA. Rads is the **** and that is the botom line.

I guess you like doing rehab on stroked out gomers. Well, good for you, someone has to.

I would love to see a comparison as to how many AOA members apply for pm&r vs Rads... but I am afraid you would be too scared to deal with the results. Your fragile psyche obviously cannot handle the reality of medicine.

Your fragile psyche obviously cannot handle the reality of medicine.

Then others with fragile psyche's cannot handle the reality of life. They don't get the big picture!

After all, that is what life is all about. It's about being better than everyone else. Guess what you can be the best, smartest radiologist in the world, but you probably absolutely suck at something, if you are like most people, probably a lot of things.

I guess I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are above average at ALL things, because after all you are the king of the hospital.

See I was a great athlete in college, so I want to know how good of an athlete you were. All I really care about though is how you ranked in the World, because that is all that matters. If you weren't as good as me, I'm going to tell you that you suck all the time from here on out and I'm going to think it all the time, and it's going to eat at me and I might even give myself an ulcer over it.

Well in all honesty I probably won't even read these stupid boards much longer because they are for the most part way too negative and I've got better things to do with my life, like climb a mountain, go camping, or go on a hike!

Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex
Judging from the most competitive internal medicine subspecialties, cardiology (money and ego) and gastroenterology (money and schedule) I'd say that many in medicine also consider these factors.

Yep, at least thats my thinking

I guess you like doing rehab on stroked out gomers. Well, good for you, someone has to.

I would love to see a comparison as to how many AOA members apply for pm&r vs Rads... but I am afraid you would be too scared to deal with the results. Your fragile psyche obviously cannot handle the reality of medicine.

I'm so glad I'm choosing NOT to go into a field overpopulated with competitive ego-centric dinguses.

Why is this so common in medicine, and particularly in the most competitive fields?

Because the process that we have all been through to get here rewards the most competitive students, and shuns the less competitive ones. They system tells us we're unworthy if we don't score in the top 10% of whatever we do. This leads to a lot of insecurity among our ranks. When people get insecure, they feel threatened, and when people feel threatened, they do and say stupid, mean-spirited things. Unfortunately, it's tough to crack big egos with this truth. It's threatening for them to be asked to admit they might be doing something wrong. So the cycle of stupidity continues..

As for which specialty is the most important? Depends on your perspective. At the level of the whole population the most important specialty might not be a specialty. You might consider basic science, particularly immunology and virology research the most important, since vaccines have saved more lives than any medical or surgical procedure. If you're a greedy 4th year medical student, looking for an easy schedule and lots of pay, that's simple- derm. Good luck, guys.

Can you believe that RADRULES a-hole is a 4th or 5th year resident? Wow, what a loser, I mean he's almost old enough to be an attending, and he's on this board ripping on people 5-6 yrs younger than he is. I just thought that was pretty funny as I discovered it today surfing the rads boards.

I am 30. Certainly not old enough to tear your pion @ss to shreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.