Bs Or As? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MERTOC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my A.S. in Pre-med but after I entered the military I haven't been to school in about 5 years, the question I have is, I want to apply for Med-school, should I get my B.S. .... or should I start over and take my pre-med classes again.

Members don't see this ad.

don't most med schools require a BS?

MERTOC,

Some schools will take you without having completed a BS degree. I would look at the schools that you are thinking of applying to and see if they require a bachelors degree. If you have all the prereqs, 8 hours english/lit, 8 hours Bio with labs, organic with lab, physics with lab, humanities, etc., then you would be ok to apply. I have seen very few people get accepted without having completed their bachelors. It is rare, but possible. These individuals usally have stellar MCAT scores, great EC, research experience, and excellent GPA.

I would contact the schools to make sure though. It could save you some money in the end. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without a doubt, contact the schools (dean of admissions) you are interested in and set up a time to have them go over your classes to see what you should do. They are willing to do this although you may have to wait awhile till the crunch of this application cycle is winding down.
Do you have a premed advisor where you went to school?

When you are looking at med school requirements, many will not require a bachelor degree, but will require a minimum amount of credit hours

So while the school may not require a BS (or BA), you might have to take additional courses to satisfy their required credit hours (assuming you don't have enough from your AS degree)