can somebody offer their thoguhts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmeathead

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a little off topic. my friend has a really bad temper. its is like he goes from a 5 or a 6 to 9. really quick. some times he gets violent. is there any thing i can do for him? he is a pain in the ass when at bars getting fights and stuff. i dont want to get in a jam with dental school and all by getting involved saving his ass. he is just as bad when not drinking. i know this is vague listing of symptoms and is very generall but maybe somebody can help out here...

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...anger management?

Sounds a bit like antisocial personality disorder.

Anyone else?

what can i do to help with anger management? also Public Health can i pick your brain on the antisocial personality disorder? i remember it from undergrad intro psych. what causes it? is it curable with therapy or drugs?

thanks alot
adam

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Public Health,

Since my first post my friend has ripped the car keys out of his girls car when she was tying to leave during a fight. Anti-social seems to strong but he does seem to fit the diagnosisng criteria. He grew up in a lower class environment simialr to Emienem's character in 8 mile. Sometimes it seems that he is trying to get "respected" o rmake sure nobody is "dis"respecting him. Or could it be a troubled or abusive growing up? do those play a factor? thanks again

It doesn't sound like your friend's hostility is affecting his life in any way that warrants psychiatric attention. If he has a substance abuse issue, or if he has been in trouble with the law, then you may want to encourage him to seek professional help.

We all get pissed off once in a while, especially those of us from 8 Mile. :p

Sounds like Intermittent Explosive Disorder ...a disorder of impulse in which patients respond agressively/impulsively to various stresses. That is because, typically, the stress is perceived as a threat to their safety, well being, or in this case their "manhood" ("don't dis me"). Of course, one cannot be absoultely sure about the etiology of your friend's behavior until they sit down and interview him. Also, bad behavior does not equal psychiatric disorder or disease...problems do arise however when their behavior begins to affect their relationships with others as well as their own lives (inability to hold a job, going to jail, substance abuse, etc.).

Was he abused in the past? Physically or otherwise?

Also, I knew someone with the same symptoms, everyone thought it was Antisocial Personality Disorder but it turned out to be a cleverly-disguised meth addiction.