Class Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherif

Hot stuff
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you are expirenced with the Mcat and the Med school admissions, can you tell me What classes i should take in my freshmen, sophmore,junior and senior year. From sciences to electives. Give me all the advice you have. Thanks in Advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search tool and look up "classes."

Look at AAMC.org or AACOM.org for the main classes you need to take. Most pre-med programs ensure that you take the basic core classes in order to apply to medical school.

The electives I took because I few schools actually require it or if not, they look for it, are at least one semester of biochemistry, physiology helps for the MCAT, microbiology, and REMEMBER to have ONE FULL YEAR OF ENGLISH (don't take poetry, it doesn't count for some schools).

By the way, AP credit doesn't count either (I think).

Good luck. Check out pre-allo and pre-osteo for more inofrmation on classes.

Embryology and Histology would both be good classes to take. If you are not going to be a Bio major, I would also look into taking Cell or Molecular Biology and Genetics. Both will help you on the MCAT. The MCAT has had several questions dealing with all these subjects on the last few tests.

I think there are 77 questions on the Bio section of the MCAT, and at least 12 or so are always dealing with Physiology, particulaly renal function and hormones. So I agree with the scubadiva, you should definately look into physiology.

Good luck to you in your college career and future medical school applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my recommendation:

FRESHMAN YEAR:

Bio. 1 & 2
Gen Chem 1 &2
Physics 1 & 2
Calculus 1
English 1 & 2
2-4 Electives

SOPHOMORE YEAR:

Org. Chem. 1 & 2
Physio.
Molecular Biology
4-8 Electives

MCAT during the summer between Soph. and Junior Year

JUNIOR YEAR:

Anatomy
Statistics
Other Reqs. for med school
3-6 electives

SENIOR YEAR:

ALL ELECTIVES

Now that is the way to do it! If you want to be COOL, this is the WAY!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

What is your major going to be?
You can take your classes starting in your freshman year if you want. I started my pre-med requirements in my sophomore year. I had already taken college English in high school.

My classes were as follows. I was a Biology major

Freshman
Contemporary Mathematics
College algebra
Child Psychology
Learning and Cognitive Ablities
International Releations
Ethics
Drawing II

Soph year
General Chemistry I and II with lab
Precalulus
Calculus
General Biology I and II with lab (summer between freshman and sophomore year)
Microbiology
European History
Statistics
Cellular/Molecular Biology

Junior
Organic I and II with 2 credit labs for each
Physics I and II with lab
Immunology
Genetics (summer between soph and junior year)
Physiology
Ecology
Contemporay Social Issues
Independent Research - DNA electrophresis
I took the MCAT in the spring of my junior year and then again that August

Senior
Bacteriology
Plant Development with a 3 credit lab
Intro to research
Embryology with lab 5 credits
Spanish I and II

if you can take any year-long course out of sequence, i would. it helped me out a lot, and my senior year ended up being a breeze. i had taken all 4 big subjects (chem, phys, orgo, and bio) by the end of junior year when i first took the mcat.

i took chem freshman year, in sequence
then i started with bio 2 at the end of freshman year, and bio 1 at the beginning of sophmore year, while takine physics in sequence.
my intro bio courses didnt really correlate w/ each other, which is why i was able to take them out of order. and i think that now intro bio is 3 semesters at my school, hehe suckers!

I would actually take the MCAT the summer between your junior and senior year. That way you would have at least had a coupld of upper division advanced science courses under your belt. You wouldn't be behind in your application either.