COMP students, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thousandth

Ride This!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all current COMP students, I want to know your opinions of the school. What are the strengths and weakneses? If you had to would you make the same choice to attened again? And do you think the students are happy overall and close to each other?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link. It has been a few months since the whole financial thing went down and I was wondering what the current atmosphere was like. I was only able to talk to a few students, both at the OAC and my interview. Aside from the ones designated to give us a tour the students I meet didn't seem very thrilled to be there. That thread keeps matters at a confused level. In comparison when I interviewed at DMU I meet a lot of students, all of whom seemed genuinly happy to be there. I did not get this feeling at COMP. So I would just like some more input.

there are dissatisfaction with the school but it's more of administrative stuff and the super expensive tuition

i'm a 3rd year so i haven't been on campus or know about all the recent events regarding the administration. what i do know is that the clinical rotations office has been restructured and is becoming more strict about where and how we set up our clinical rotations. (more paperwork and they seem to be discouraging rotations with individual preceptors as opposed to hospital based rotations). secondly, just this past month, they fired one of our worst professors (which is good), but one of our best professors left COMP (a huge loss). Two new board members replaced the ones that had resigned. COMP is still looking for a permanent Dean. Finally, the potential merger with Chapman College in Orange County was called off.

I would have to say that i would do everything the same if i had to do it over again. you will find that all the drama with professors, administration, classes, etc. is present at all of the DO schools. your experience is what you make of it. i had a blast living in SoCal (i'm a native NY'ker) and met some great classmates. I have to say that, in general, COMP students stick together and support each other.

i do have one opinion about chosing a medical school. don't go to a school that has too many students in the class. i felt like 170 student in my class was too much, but other schools have upto 300. it may mean that you don't get as much small group work, it may mean you have to scrap for things to do in anatomy class, and it may mean you won't have as much time to focus and learn OMM properly...something to keep in mind

good luck,
~j

Originally posted by pyoj
i'm a 3rd year so i haven't been on campus or know about all the recent events regarding the administration. what i do know is that the clinical rotations office has been restructured and is becoming more strict about where and how we set up our clinical rotations. (more paperwork and they seem to be discouraging rotations with individual preceptors as opposed to hospital based rotations). secondly, just this past month, they fired one of our worst professors (which is good), but one of our best professors left COMP (a huge loss). Two new board members replaced the ones that had resigned. COMP is still looking for a permanent Dean. Finally, the potential merger with Chapman College in Orange County was called off.

I would have to say that i would do everything the same if i had to do it over again. you will find that all the drama with professors, administration, classes, etc. is present at all of the DO schools. your experience is what you make of it. i had a blast living in SoCal (i'm a native NY'ker) and met some great classmates. I have to say that, in general, COMP students stick together and support each other.

i do have one opinion about chosing a medical school. don't go to a school that has too many students in the class. i felt like 170 student in my class was too much, but other schools have upto 300. it may mean that you don't get as much small group work, it may mean you have to scrap for things to do in anatomy class, and it may mean you won't have as much time to focus and learn OMM properly...something to keep in mind

good luck,
~j

Which professors left? Can you PM me if you don't want to say here? Also, I read that the merger wasn't off on the "update" section on the website, dated 2/23. Was that wrong?

Thanks for your info, it is very much appreciated.

but one of our best professors left COMP (a huge loss).

I hope that JL is still there at COMP. I heard he is excellent.

Sadly....JL has left

i was hoping it would be JF

Sadly....JL has left

What's going on? Why did JL leave? Anyone knows where did he go? I seriously doubt that COMP can find a better anatomy professor, and a nicer guy, than JL. What a BIG loss.