Complexity/length of procedures in IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasmed94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a rising MS3 interested in pursuing IR. Can anyone attest to the complexity and length of procedures in IR? I understand it is a very broad specialty that deals with a wide range of procedures, but is there a lot of opportunity to do longer, more complex procedures in IR (outside of neuro-IR), or are most procedures more straightforward/quick once you have completed your training? In other words, I was wondering how the procedures compare skills- and medical-decision-making- wise to some of the more complicated surgical/interventional specialties. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a rising MS3 interested in pursuing IR. Can anyone attest to the complexity and length of procedures in IR? I understand it is a very broad specialty that deals with a wide range of procedures, but is there a lot of opportunity to do longer, more complex procedures in IR (outside of neuro-IR), or are most procedures more straightforward/quick once you have completed your training? In other words, I was wondering how the procedures compare skills- and medical-decision-making- wise to some of the more complicated surgical/interventional specialties. Thanks so much!

Once you are done, I would say in an average academic setting there maybe 1-3 high end cases per attending per day that may take 2-3 hours and another 2-6 cases that take between 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

Overall you do more cases vs an average general surgeon but it’s unlikely for cases to stretch beyond 3 hour mark.

In a community setting the cases tend to be quicker, typically under an hour. You are usually expected to read diagnostic imaging in between cases.

Reactions: 2 users
Most cases in my practice ( private practice community hospital) ar 5 to 15 minutes. Biopsies, lines, aspiration, drains. Then I do maybe 1 or 2 a day that take 20 min to 1 hours, ie. Fistulagram, declot, arterial angiography. Occasionally maybe 2x a week over 1 hour. Embolizations and atherectomy etc.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want big cases, do venous work. Recanalizations of chronic iliocaval occlusions with concurrent complex IVC filter retrievals are typically half-day cases, at least.

Reactions: 1 user