Confused! So many abbrv.!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwingie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain all the medical school abbreviations to me?? I can't tell what is what with so many letters flying around, hehe.

Thanks! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Two of the most important:

AADSOCFOWWTAHHH - an acronym designed so others can't figure out what we're talking about he he he

AADSOCFOWWTAHHHH - an acronym designed so others can't figure out what we're talking about he he he he

Members don't see this ad :)
A.D.I.D.A.S = All Day I Dream About Sex

Thanks Moskeeto. I like your search word, definitely not what I would have typed in but whatever works, eh? hehe.

PS. Couldn't find these tho:

VCU/MCV
UMDNJ-RWJMS
UMDNJ-SOM
JMC
UTH
UIC
Kville
COMP
SIU
PCOM
UNECOM
LECOM
EVVCOM
SW
SA

These are all the names of colleges, check out www.amsa.org and you can pretty much figure them out.

example: VCU/MCV = virginia common wealth university/medical college of virginia

also COM = College of Medicine

have fun with the rest, I don't know a bunch of them, but I can make a good guess at 'em.

I think in med school names, COM usually refers to College of Osteopathic medicine.

(((Hmm....*evil grin* should I start a flame war? Hey, why not?)))

Osteopathic medicine is like allopathic medicine but for students with lower MCATs.

Originally posted by Moskeeto
These are all the names of colleges, check out www.amsa.org and you can pretty much figure them out.

example: VCU/MCV = virginia common wealth university/medical college of virginia

also COM = College of Medicine

have fun with the rest, I don't know a bunch of them, but I can make a good guess at 'em.

Wait .... something bad said about osteopathic medicine...

FEEL

URGE

TO

RESPOND

Generating AT field to penetrate qweewq11's flame suit

BREACH in qweewq11 AT field detected

Casper and Melchoir have formulated a response, Balthazar disagree.

My osteopathic physician can beat up your allopathic physician :smuggrin: :(

Attack mode off (what did you expect from a subpar MCAT pre-DO student working on the MAGI) :p

Anyway, to be a little helpful here
COM can either stand for College of Medicine OR college of osteopathic medicine - depends on the school

VCU/MCV - Virginia Commonwealth University / Medical College of Virginia

UMDNJ-RWJMS - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

UMDNJ-SOM - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine

JMC - Jefferson Medical College

UIC - University of Illinois at Chicago

Kville - Kirksville (KCOM is the common abbrv for Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine)

COMP - College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (part of Western University of the Health Sciences)

SIU - Southern Illinois University

PCOM - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

UNECOM - University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

LECOM - Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

EVVCOM - Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic medicine (of Virginia Tech, brand new school)

However, examples of COM standing for college of medicine instead of college of osteopathic medicine

Baylor College of Medicine
AECOM - Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine
NEOUCOM - Northeatern Ohio Universities College of Medicine

What's the difference b/w College of Medicine and School of Medicine - I dunno - I'm just a stupid pre-osteopathic student =)