Medical Contacting an Interviewer as a follow-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What is the consensus is regarding contacting an interviewer directly after having interviewed at an MD school and being given a deferred status? I interviewed at a school in early October, and my interviewer and I really connected and had a great conversation. I already felt (feel) like I am a great match for the program, and my interviewer echoed my sentiment, stating she would advocate strongly for me as an applicant at their admissions meeting. Despite this experience, I was given a "deferred" decision about 1.5 months after my interview.

Supposedly it is not impossible to get an offer after being deferred, so I want to do anything possible to increase my chances of getting an offer, as this program is my top choice. So, I am wondering what would be my best course of action at this point. Should I compose a "letter of intent" and send it to the whole admissions department? Or would it be appropriate at all for me to contact the interviewer with whom I really connected, just to remind her about my interview...? I just don't know which route might get me more attention (in a good way). And for the record I did already send my interviewer a hand-written thank-you note, the school having supplied us interviewees with our interviewers' physical addresses. Thank you so, so much!
You've got a good overall application - which is why you're deferred vs. rejected. While there is some disagreement, I and others believe it is appropriate to send a short and thoughtful thank you note to those individuals at the school that you feel you connected-with and would help your application. You already did this -- good job!

If you want to send a follow-up note, it should highlight something new that would benefit your application. Again, it should be short and pleasant and not a sales-pitch. Remember docs and administration get a lot of emails and mail daily -- they don't want to read something more than a few lines long.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.