Convalescent plasma useless and high titer IgG non-protective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard both these today. I don't think I need to explain to this crowd the utter gravity of these new revelations.

If this is true, which I suspect it is, then the "no vaccine possible" scenario is very real.

Members don't see this ad.

We have had good initial results with convalescent plasma. I think it needs to be used before the vent.

I think there is much merit in this approach, approaches that clean out the cytokines in blood (plasma exchange?) and approaches that inhibit inflammatory response leading to ARDS

Reactions: 1 users
I also think there may be merit in trying convalescent plasma from different recovered patients in the same symptomatic patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you seroconvert early and have high titer IgG, does this lead to worse outcomes as was demonstrated in SARS 2003?

The jury is still out on how protective IgG is for COVID. I know a few labs have LDT's and even the big players like Quest, ARUP, etc are only just coming up with serology. Most vendors I have seen just have a qualitative assay. I'm sure we will get a quantitative assay down the road.

Is it protective? No one knows
Is there a certain titer that gives immunity? No one knows

This is all way too early to tell. I have seen some neutralization studies that are promising and there was a study in macaques that showed high levels of IgG with a protective response a month later after injection with the virus. However, will this translate to humans no one knows.

I'm not an expert on this, but I assume we can answer this question with studies that follow patients with high titers.

Many patients with SARS-1 had high IgG levels for years after exposure (but again does that mean immunity?).

Will this act like HIV or HCV where it is a marker of exposure? Or will it act like HBV or measles?

The CDC, NIH, academic labs, etc will hopefully answer these questions in the next few months.

Reactions: 1 users
Preliminary results for convalescent plasma have been pretty good for us. Personally very interested in the JHU trial using convalescent plasma for post-exposure prophylaxis.

Reactions: 1 user